1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 in remission

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Koalajane, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Koalajane

Koalajane Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When your type 2 goes into remission are you still counted as diabetic?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In most cases. At least it still gives us access to foot and eye checks.

3. Koalajane

4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have had a non diabetic Hba1c for approx 7 years but my Diabetic Nurse classes me as being well controlled as opposed to being in remission - which is what I class myself as.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Koalajane

So you are a well controlled diabetic

6. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Apparently and I still have 6 monthly hba1c tests and reviews - nurse availability permitting.

7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I am a well controlled T2 as well, and I have been off Metformin for over a year.

I still get blood tests ever three months, eye testing once a year, and I also get five visits to a podiatrist a year.

T2 diabetes does not disappear, it lies out of sight waiting for a trigger if you relapse on what you eat and start eating a lot of carbs again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I'm another well controlled T2 by my own and by my GP's definitions. I've kept to low pre-diabetic levels for six years now, but I believe what triggered my diabetes in the first place is still lurking about so if in the unlikely event I were to ever start scoffing too many carbs again I'd also expect to see diabetic glucose levels again.... I still get my diabetic checkups but HbA1C less frequently than before.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook