Type 2 & Insulin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just taken my first ever dose of insulin. Not quite sure what to expect!
If all goes well you won't notice anything, except possibly lower numbers on your meter.
Be sure to test should you feel strange!

I hope it works out well for you once you found the right dose!

Reactions: naulroad

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club @naulroad ! It takes a while to get insulin doses adjusted but you'll get there in due course after a bit of trial and error. You've not said if you are on basal or basal plus bolus and that might help folk offer better advice.

naulroad

Welcome to the club @naulroad ! It takes a while to get insulin doses adjusted but you'll get there in due course after a bit of trial and error. You've not said if you are on basal or basal plus bolus and that might help folk offer better advice.
Hi on basal
Reading this morning was 7.8. I was quite disappointed with this as I thought it would have been a bit lowest

Lilylala

Hi and welcome
Seems that you have been put on insulin quite quickly may I ask was you On any other medication before hand? It took me a year and 4 different medications before my diabetic Doctors put me on humulin m3.Was you given much information about dosages and how to adjust dosage? I was more or less shoved in the deep end and if not for online research would still be on the initial dosage given by the Doctor.Good luck xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My last 2 HbA1c were 95 and then 84.
Reading this morning was 7.8. I was quite disappointed with this as I thought it would have been a bit lowest
According to your hba1c your average blood glucose must have been around 14. I think waking up at 7.8 is brilliant in comparison!
(Top and bottom line in the chart, ignore the middle ones.)

The only way to find the right dose of insulin for anyone is by trial and error. This means starting on a relatively low dose to bring bg's down slowly for safety reasons.
Imagine starting on, say, 25 units and then finding out you only need 4 units... You'd need to eat all day and through the night to compensate for this, if not a glucose drip because the basal works all day!

The other way around is much safer. If you start out with 10 units and it turns out you need 80, your dose will be titrated up slowly until you start seeing the numbers you want. This way you'll have higher numbers for a couple more weeks but no blue-light trips to the hospital.
With your 7.8 you're already very close to a healthy morning bg!

image-asset.jpeg

Reactions: naulroad

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi on basal

7.8 is really pretty good. If you tested shortly after you woke and got out of bed you were possibly a bit lower before you woke, as what’s known as the dawn phenomenon causes the liver to dump a bit of glucose when you rise. And if this applies in your case I’d guess that your lantus dose is good, as if it is increased you risk going too low and into the hypo zone while asleep. I’d suggest to stick with the present dose for a week or two, keep good records and then have a chat with your DSN to see if he/she advises titration downwards.

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

SOPHIE2006

Hi and welcome
Seems that you have been put on insulin quite quickly may I ask was you On any other medication before hand? It took me a year and 4 different medications before my diabetic Doctors put me on humulin m3.Was you given much information about dosages and how to adjust dosage? I was more or less shoved in the deep end and if not for online research would still be on the initial dosage given by the Doctor.Good luck xx
I'm type 2 and I was put on insulin straight away along with metformin.