Type 2, low levels

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI all
Being new to all this I have a query (one of many)!

I was started on Glicalzide and told to start Metformin gradually after 2 weeks, with a view to stopping the Gliclazide. I am now on two metformin a day so far and my levels are becoming a lot lower. However, I have had a couple of instances where I have felt a bit grotty so have tested and they have been lower than 4. Would it be the drugs causing this?

Thanks

Deb

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Deb, the changes you have made to your diet seem to be having a positive effect on your numbers so I would have a word with your GP with a view to dropping the Glicalzide. It's unlikely to be the metformin causing the low readings.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The NZ guidelines (which are based on the Scottish guidelines) are that a person should start on metformin if needed, and if that doesn't help control BG levels, then gliclazide can be tried. So based on that, if you're getting hypos, then I wouldn't think gliclazide would be needed.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies. I spoke to my Doc this morning and she said to stop the Gliclazide and carry on increasing the Metformin :)

Reactions: 2 people