Type 2 (most likely) - feeling really ashamed

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
Be aware of so called healthy fats as schools still out on them and opinions are divided

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That´s weird! My tri´s are at 0.7 and i do high fat indeed. And have lost about a kilogram per month so is now BMI 21.5, didnt have much to loose
To be fair it also runs in the family but the doctor said it's very common in diabetics
Strangely enough I don't have high colestrol which was only 4.0 when last tested

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Triglycerides went up to a mental 26 and the weight went up to 21.6 stone
The diabetes was kept under control but the rest was just as serious.
I'm also from a long line of male diabetics
Sounds like you didn't cut the carbs, you can't be high in both, its a seesaw

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Gary25566 it came back borderline (A1c 44 and FBG 6.5) so I've had another FBG done last week...results on Wednesday. I think based on the first result it will be classified prediabetes...which is what I'm hoping as let's face it none of us want to be diabetic! Trouble is I basically ate carb free for a few days before the 2nd test so I don't know to what extent that has influenced the result. I'll ask on Wednesday. Will update once I know more, thanks for asking :)
The A1c is right, if you LC since, your fasting may be lower, but that's normally the last to fix...and an infection can raise your bg
Anyway, you're prediabetic
Already drastically reduced the carbs, upped the healthy fats only and already had a BG meter as I knew I was at risk and used to test occasionally anyway :)
You have mfp, you replace the lost carbs with fat.
about 60g protein a day

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Triglycerides should be less than 2
Mine were 1.2 :)
My lipids were ok thankfully!
Good stuff I was a pre diabetic for a good number of years then 10 years on metformin and finally insulin .....So let's hope your results are all good x
Obviously I'm hoping to not be classified as diabetic (looks like I may sneak into the prediabetic range), but if I did, I'd be hoping to put off insulin for as long as possible. However, I'm curious to know @Gary25566 how controlled you've been over that time. For example, how was your weight, diet & exercise? I'm not looking to criticise you by the way, it's just that I'd be less worried about eventually needing insulin if you told me you hadn't really exercised or watched what you ate (if that makes sense).

Last edited by a moderator:

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The A1c is right, if you LC since, your fasting may be lower, but that's normally the last to fix...and an infection can raise your bg
Anyway, you're prediabetic
<snip>
Yes I was curious about how high the infection would raise my BG. The infection I do have has been raising my temperature occasionally for about 7 or 8 weeks and I know for a fact my full blood count was full of infection markers because I think only 2 parameters were within acceptable range. Interestingly though, and I'm not sure if this is a coincidence), within 3 days of me doing low carb, by infection started clearing up. Unfortunately, I'll still need surgery at some point I think, but I'm hoping controlling my BG into the normal (rather than prediabetic range) will help everything sort itself out.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lchf, low carb with lots of leafy veg has been good for a lot of stuff, it may settle something, but it won't fix something that needs an op. So if its not serious, give it a couple of months on lc and.then get the Dr and yourself make the decision.
As long as the symptoms are reducing during the 2 mths (whatever is wrong or whatever the symptoms )

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was curious about how high the infection would raise my BG. The infection I do have has been raising my temperature occasionally for about 7 or 8 weeks and I know for a fact my full blood count was full of infection markers because I think only 2 parameters were within acceptable range. Interestingly though, and I'm not sure if this is a coincidence), within 3 days of me doing low carb, by infection started clearing up. Unfortunately, I'll still need surgery at some point I think, but I'm hoping controlling my BG into the normal (rather than prediabetic range) will help everything sort itself out.
Bonus! Though I'm not really surprised about the infection clearing up after you went low carb because bugs love sugar ;)

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine were 1.2 :)
My lipids were ok thankfully!

Obviously I'm hoping to not be classified as diabetic (looks like I may sneak into the prediabetic range), but if I did, I'd be hoping to put off insulin for as long as possible. However, I'm curious to know @Gary25566 how controlled you've been over that time. For example, how was your weight, diet & exercise? I'm not looking to criticise you by the way, it's just that I'd be less worried about eventually needing insulin if you told me you hadn't really exercised or watched what you ate (if that makes sense).
Hi again
My height was 6ft2" and weight was about 18 stone at the time but I have been heavy set all my life but I have never been a big eater and I never drunk beer or spirits

However other family members have followed the same path as myself and they have been thin

Look up famous diabetics and you will see that exercise and weight control has nothing to do with insulin use, If your pancreas stops working then insulin is the only real option

Do your parents inject and how many other diabetics in your family inject insulin?

So many factors shape our lives please don't worry about what might happen x

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Insulin resistance can mask a pancreas that in normal circumstances last for years with normal range

Mate if you know something and can give a credible link if asked, everything is fine, some of your posts read like opinions, which is also fine if qualified as such

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin resistance can mask a pancreas that in normal circumstances last for years with normal range

Mate if you know something and can give a credible link if asked, everything is fine, some of your posts read like opinions, which is also fine if qualified as such
Hence why I said it's different for everyone and if your pancreas packs up then it's insulin time .....not everyone's totally packs up

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was just a suggestion and we are all on a learning curve,
Newcastle uni diet, sleeve and stomach op can reverse diabetes in 90% of suitable subjects, through weight control

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Was just a suggestion and we are all on a learning curve,
Newcastle uni diet, sleeve and stomach op can reverse diabetes in 90% of suitable subjects, through weight control
I'm from a long line of diabetics so not sure how this would help me and so many operations also come with high risks
I agree we are all learning all the time and all I can offer is my opinions from being around diabetics all my life and from being one for several years now

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair enough, and state it as such.

Tubby t2 on insulin, have lost weight and gone off insulin and onto min meds here
Some don't, if the pancreas can't support a normal bmi and LC diet or one you can live with, with oral meds, then its insulin.

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fair enough, and state it as such.

Tubby t2 on insulin, have lost weight and gone off insulin and onto min meds here
Some don't, if the pancreas can't support a normal bmi and LC diet with oral meds, then its insulin.
Very true but most posts are opinions from experience so I don't think there is any need to state it or everyone might believe that mental Newcastle diet is a good idea just because you put 90% which has no way been proven

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
<snip>
Do your parents inject and how many other diabetics in your family inject insulin?

Not insulin, no. Dad is diet controlled and is managing his by optimising his weight (he isn't very overweight like I am and already has an active job and never sits still) and mum is now tablet controlled, but was on Byetta and close to insulin before making some major lifestyle changes. So no insulin users amongst the type 2's anyway.

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not insulin, no. Dad is diet controlled and is managing his by optimising his weight (he isn't very overweight like I am and already has an active job and never sits still) and mum is now tablet controlled, but was on Byetta and close to insulin before making some major lifestyle changes. So no insulin users amongst the type 2's anyway.
Great so you may be ok x
Sadly all my family have ended up on insulin but it's not as horrible as you would imagine

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was tempted by the Newcastle diet, but since I'm in the prediabetic range (still waiting for official confirmation on that) I'm hoping that I can avoid ever becoming diabetic by making major lifestyle changes now. My current lifestyle changes are 1 hour of exercise 5 days a week (swimming), low carb high fat diet and reducing my weight. I believe this is going to be a life long change, but I'm doing everything I can. If it happens eventually then it happens, but I'm not going down without a fight! LOL

Reactions: 3 people

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was tempted by the Newcastle diet, but since I'm in the prediabetic range (still waiting for official confirmation on that) I'm hoping that I can avoid ever becoming diabetic by making major lifestyle changes now. My current lifestyle changes are 1 hour of exercise 5 days a week (swimming), low carb high fat diet and reducing my weight. I believe this is going to be a life long change, but I'm doing everything I can. If it happens eventually then it happens, but I'm not going down without a fight! LOL
That diet is madness please read the opinions from diabetic experts in fact it can be bloody dangerous

People die from gastric band operations (FACT)

600 Calories is less than half of what your body needs to function

Is it worth it at this early stage of testing and it could all be for nothing anyway

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That diet is madness please read the opinions from diabetic experts in fact it can be bloody dangerous

People die from gastric band operations (FACT)

600 Calories is less than half of what your body needs to function

Is it worth it at this early stage of testing and it could all be for nothing anyway
Ha, read my comment again LOL. I said I was tempted...that's as far as it got :)

I intend to make some major lifestyle changes because I just don't think I could do the Newcastle diet. And I'm not planning on a gastric band, bypass or sleeve either. Had enough surgery and got some more looming, so not keen to have any more!