1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 - New Start

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by sweetierufus, Aug 1, 2019.

1. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

Diagnosed T2 diabetes end of June. I had visited doctor due to frequent Migraines and my bloods game back HbA1c 88. It came as a shock and felt very ashamed/guilt for not losing the weight before it got to this point. My weight is very high at 19st and BMI over 50! I’ve never been thin, but this is the heaviest I have ever been. However, this week had compliments from colleagues that I look like I’ve lost weight. Need to invest in a decent set of scales!

On 2 x 500mg Metformin. I initially checked my blood sugar regular and bloods coming down. Have seen my diabetic nurse and she said I did not need to check as often and should not have been given a blood monitoring machine as they usually don’t for diabetics on Metformin only. Keeping the strips on my prescription but thinks will be stopped if GP notices. My diabetic nurse was non-judgmental and didn’t give me a lecture. I’m looking to go on a diabetes course as well but await details. Its information overload at the minute!:wideyed:

I have my first eye screening end of the month, this is a concern as had eye surgery for retinal detachment two years ago.

The diabetic nurse said I should still eat whole-wheat carbs and initially did this. The Nurse also advised to have one weekly treat as deprivation can lead to binge eating. So, I think Saturdays will be good for those. However, warned me not to let that one treat become more, ha-ha!

After reading online that low carb could lead to diabetes remission or reduce medication. I think low carb is way forward. It’s a complete change of diet for me, I never know how much carbs I ate, breakfast, lunch, and tea. I’m only on day two and already feel more energy. I love been able to eat eggs and nuts again.

Here’s hoping for some good results on my weight loss! :nailbiting:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Sweetie and welcome to the forum!
    First let me post this link with useful newbies’ info:
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
    I was diagnosed in May ‘17 with type 2, I was morbidly obese at the time and felt ashamed too. I soon learnt that it wasn’t my fault, many people have the lazy, carb munching lifestyle that I had and don’t become type 2, it really is bad luck, so please don’t feel guilty.
    Anyway you’ve come to the best little corner of the internet for help and support to get your blood sugars and weight under control. With in four months of my diagnosis I got my HbA1c down to non diabetic levels and had lost a shed load of weight. I did it by taking Metformin and by reducing my carb intake, initially 100g/day and I self tested before and after meals to see what foods suited me and what didn’t. I now maintain my levels by eating 30-50g carbs per day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Sweerierufus there are plenty of slim diabetics don't beat yourself up over this. :bookworm:

Your body dose not handle sugar well and almost all food has sugar in it. Your body does not process sugar properly and turns it into body fat this is not your fault. There are things you can do to help your body deal with this condition more effectively and you should see the weight just melt away.

You should find with low cab that it helps you deal with sugar much better and a nice side effect is you get to go clothes shopping. ;)
    :bag:

• Like Like x 5
  4. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

thanks guys

I'm finding tons of info on this website. I thought I would get bored of low carb but there's load of foods available. Day three and not feeling hungry much.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

Well in three weeks (weighed in at first diabetic nurse appointment) I have lost a stone!:joyful: over the moon with this. I hope the rest of the weight comes off this quick! Although I expect it to slow down a bit.

It's giving me the boost I needed :)

• Winner Winner x 8
  6. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

W
    Wow that’s a good news.. congratulations on that and keep going..

• Like Like x 1
  7. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic news, keep on doing more of the same!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is no need to feel guilty or ashamed. You have made a great start in dealing with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Great start @sweetierufus and thanks for coming back with an update. Keep at it and hope you get the keep that meter and strips - it’s going to be your best friend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks mods ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great news on your weight loss. Well done !

12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

@sweetierufus Keep up the low carbing - you may find it also helps with your migraines - a number of forum low carbers have found this to be the case, and mine have stopped completely. after a lifetime of suffering.

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

Good news is I have lost another half a stone. Bad news is I have wavered a little bit over the weekend and Monday, carbs have crept up again. So fresh start today! I'm going on holiday in couple of weeks so need to keep at it.

I regret eating doughnuts over the weekend. the High sugar, High Fat combo floored me and struggled since. I haven't had chocolate for weeks as since Metformin is making it taste different. So there's a plus to that side effect.

• Hug Hug x 1
    #13 sweetierufus, Sep 3, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook