Type 2 newbie

Shellyc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed last December and tried to control it through diet but my readings jumped from 52, 56, 101 and last reading was 119. Have been put on metformin and was on sitagliptin but took allergic reaction . Was then put on glicazade 2 tabs a day. Was taking hypo after 2nd tablet so they reduced to 3 metformin daily and 1 glicazade. My problem is am having hypo nearly every day between 4pm and 6pm. Any advice. What am I doing wrong

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Can you tell us what your present eating plan is?
Are you using your own blood glucose meter to monitor your levels before and after eating? If so, what sort of levels are you seeing? When you have your hypos, what are your BS levels?
What time of day do you take your one Gliclazide tablet?

Sorry for the questions, but it would help us understand why this is happening.

Shellyc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Usually have porridge I the morning and 1 metformin and glicazade. Lunch is low carb bread sandwich. Usually ham and tomatoe and metformin. Monitor my bloods 1st thing in morning and around 1230 and they are usually between 5 and 7. When I go hypo reading are between 2.5 and 3.5

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are possibly reacting to the high carbohydrate hit first from the porridge and then bread - I need to keep my morning intake of carbs below 10 grams in order to avoid a drop in energy levels in mid to late afternoon.
I don't take any medication so it is just what happens naturally but with the tablets you are taking extra insulin is squeezed from the pancreas so you must drop like a stone as the day goes on and your insulin resistance reduces.
I don't really know what to suggest as the medication is doing what it is designed to do, just too well.
Perhaps the person to consult would be your doctor and see how they feel about eating a low carb diet to control your blood glucose on a more even keel.

Reactions: Shellyc and ringi