Type 2 newbie

Becky88

Hi I'm 17 weeks pregnant I've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I've started on metformin and insulin I'm very confused of what foods I can and can't eat any advice would be great.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi I'm 17 weeks pregnant I've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I've started on metformin and insulin I'm very confused of what foods I can and can't eat any advice would be great.
Hi @Becky88 and welcome to the forum.
The insulin you are prescribed makes it harder for us to advise you, but in general you want to reduce the amount of sugars and starches (carbohydrates) that you eat.
Both Fats and Proteins have little effect on the Blood Glucose of a Type 2 Diabetic, but carbohydrates such as potato, pastry, breakfast cereals, tropical fruit all tend to make our Blood Glucose go up a lot (which is bad for us).
Now the problem for you is that you can only do this in a gradual and controlled way because otherwise the insulin dose you take will reduce your Blood Glucose too much perhaps even to a dangerous level). So you will need to check the effect as you go and your Healthcare Professional will need to be involved because they may want to reduce your insulin if you are successful at reducing the carbohydrates.

Here is a link to @JoKalsbeek's nutritional thingy which explains some more: The Nutritional Thingy. | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community