Type 2, on Insulin + Metformin

Mony

Dislikes
Hate & confrontation
After 37 years as a T2 Diabetic with approx 20 years on insulin + metformin, shouldn’t I be an expert on ‘my diabetes’ ? No.
I use CGM Dexcom g7, but in last 2 months going through a rollercoaster of ’highs’ and ‘lows’ ! Infact, Inspite of high HbA1c (57 mmol/mol in May 2023) -> lots of Hypos (some nocturnal) !. I have been advised by DSNs to make changes to my bonus/basal insulin dose and hoping for some normality soon
Mentally down and confused

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Mony and welcome to the forums.

If it's any consolation I've been T1 since I was 8 and so on insulin for 53 years and I still get it wrong, though hopefully not too often.

Though 57mmol/mol is higher than you might wish, I don't personally think it's that high. (I've had much higher in my youth :))

If you are on a basal/bolus regime are you confident to make the adjustments yourself? Personally I don't see my clinic often enough for them to adjust my dose for me, though they do make occasional suggestions.

I'm not sure how relevant T1 advice is to a T2 on insulin, but I personally find getting my basal dose right is key to my blood glucose management. And unfortunately my basal needs do vary with time, and particularly with exercise.

Do you know how to do basal testing?

Sending you virtual hugs and assuring you that I empathise with your situation.

Mony

Dislikes
Hate & confrontation
Hello Ellie M,
Thanks for response. By logic T2 on insulin, should be in similar treatment ‘operandi’ to T1 diabetics. I have never been offered any ‘diabetes education’ so this is the first time I’ve heard the term ‘basal testing’. I will bring it up at my next diabetes appointment, thank you.
Thank you for your support, very much appreciated

derek53

Dislikes
Inconsiderate drivers that cut in the last minute
After 37 years as a T2 Diabetic with approx 20 years on insulin + metformin, shouldn’t I be an expert on ‘my diabetes’ ? No.
I use CGM Dexcom g7, but in last 2 months going through a rollercoaster of ’highs’ and ‘lows’ ! Infact, Inspite of high HbA1c (57 mmol/mol in May 2023) -> lots of Hypos (some nocturnal) !. I have been advised by DSNs to make changes to my bonus/basal insulin dose and hoping for some normality soon
Mentally down and confused
surprised you need your healthcare professionals to change your dosage do you not do that anyway.?
using my CGM I make small adjustments almost weekly i think that the point of a CGM it gives you the informed choice to manage it yourself..
i even notice the difference and make changes when i use a new pen or we have a hot or cold spell changes are made both up and down a couple of clicks dependant on last previous week's history.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I also change my dosage depending on readings but mostly stick to what the DN has told me to use