Type 2 on insulin & pregenant

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
higolks I was wondering if any woman out there could help I'm currently 24 weeks pregenant I've been on insulin this 7 years with great control an low doses of nova rapid
12am
14 lunch
16 dinner
I have had to really increase my dose to keep my sugar levels with in the range I'm currently taking
21 am
25 lunch
35 dinner is this normal has this happened to any of u expecting ladies in just afraid of it affecting the babie

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
T1 here, but I can at least reassure you that it's normal for insulin requirements to go up during pregnancy. :)
The baby will be fine as long as you can keep your blood sugars under control. (And remember diabetics used to have successful pregnancies pre glucometers when their control must have been sketchy at best!)

Good luck.

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 here, but I can at least reassure you that it's normal for insulin requirements to go up during pregnancy. :)
The baby will be fine as long as you can keep your blood sugars under control. (And remember diabetics used to have successful pregnancies pre glucometers when their control must have been sketchy at best!)

Good luck.

Thanks so much for answering my question I rang my team this am an they told me the same as u, baby is goin through a growth spirt an to give myself what I feel I need an it will all level out.. just needed to be reassured as this is my 1st baby thanks again xxx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Congratulations @livi2006 :)

Expect huge more insulin need before pregnancy is out. Your only concern is keeping in range no matter how much insulin your team encourages.
I have 2 successful insulin dependant pregnancies on huge amounts of insulin and increased levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid.
Enjoy your pregnancy and enjoy the extra scans. Keep plenty of change in your pockets for parking and scan copies. :)

Reactions: livi2006

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations @livi2006 :)

Expect huge more insulin need before pregnancy is out. Your only concern is keeping in range no matter how much insulin your team encourages.
I have 2 successful insulin dependant pregnancies on huge amounts of insulin and increased levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid.
Enjoy your pregnancy and enjoy the extra scans. Keep plenty of change in your pockets for parking and scan copies. :)

Thanks that is great to hear from someone who had been in my shoes.. I really am enjoying it was just concerned about the insulin increases thanks for your help xx

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I experienced swelling like most expectant mums in the last semester.

I carried my notes everywhere with me too.
Work and when travelled.

I just got back for a weekend in Liverpool when my waters broke in second pregnancy. Few days in hospital as no labour on my own til they induced me without an epidural like first labour.
Both natural births as I ate very very healthily.

Had a few treats after getting home with baby thou. Only had alcohol again until I stopped breast feeding.

Great experiences. Both very different hospitals thou.