Type 2 on Pills but Concerned about moving to injectable?

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
I am very interested reading these posts, thank you. I started on insulin today after 8 years of tablets. I've been told to tirate up slowly and am on 10 basal and between 2-4 fast acting 3 times a day. Currently fine but a bit worried about the evening, I sleep alone and want to wake up in the morning!

Once I've got used to this I am going to carb count as I want to be careful with weight gain..... Is this correct?

All your posts have really helped me put my mind at rest
Well done on the leap to insulin....the fears at night are natural,maybe for a short period of time if you take a reading before bed and see how high/low/neutral you are and then address it as needed.....I did,and I'm now 8 months along the line.... keep beside your bed your choice of things to take in case of hypo....I keep jelly beans in the draw and lucozade......if you awaken during the night take a reading,the more info you formulate about you the better you'll cope.......wishing you all the best, above is my personal dealing with diabetes,I'm sure others will come forward with help too.....

PamelaJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my appt tomorrow with diabetes nurse who is e petting me to have made a decision about Vicozza or bydurian I am very worried now I've read all the side effects these have, I alreadY suffer with labryntitis and I don't think that's been taken into consideration. Wouldn't I be better on insulin? I know this means less weight loss but I would be happy to look at carb counting if I can ever get on a course, which I've asked for several times. Been on oral meds for several years and diabetes is rife in my family. None local to me so I can't really talk to them. I don't know what to do I would really welcome some thoughts from people on here before I go tomorrow afternoon. I'm also pretty scared of the whole injecting lark too....

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my appt tomorrow with diabetes nurse who is e petting me to have made a decision about Vicozza or bydurian I am very worried now I've read all the side effects these have, I alreadY suffer with labryntitis and I don't think that's been taken into consideration. Wouldn't I be better on insulin? I know this means less weight loss but I would be happy to look at carb counting if I can ever get on a course, which I've asked for several times. Been on oral meds for several years and diabetes is rife in my family. None local to me so I can't really talk to them. I don't know what to do I would really welcome some thoughts from people on here before I go tomorrow afternoon. I'm also pretty scared of the whole injecting lark too....

Firstly, have they done the GAD and c-peptide tests again for you? There is no point going on to an injectable med if you produce insufficient insulin. Oral meds and injectables are only for those that still produce sufficient insulin themselves. You may be at the stage where you need insulin. I got to that point myself and the only way they found out was firstly the oral meds stopped working, and then I insisted they do the diagnostic tests (as mentioned above) again. I'm glad I did, because the c-peptide showed I had insufficient insulin production. I've been on insulin since beginning of 2010 as a result. So that would be my advice..... get your insulin production checked first. It may well be that you should be on insulin anyhow.

PamelaJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, have they done the GAD and c-peptide tests again for you? There is no point going on to an injectable med if you produce insufficient insulin. Oral meds and injectables are only for those that still produce sufficient insulin themselves. You may be at the stage where you need insulin. I got to that point myself and the only way they found out was firstly the oral meds stopped working, and then I insisted they do the diagnostic tests (as mentioned above) again. I'm glad I did, because the c-peptide showed I had insufficient insulin production. I've been on insulin since beginning of 2010 as a result. So that would be my advice..... get your insulin production checked first. It may well be that you should be on insulin anyhow.
GAD and c peptide???? Sorry not sure what these are. Don't recall ever before no told about these. This appt is the result of my last set of blood tests so I assume they are looking at these hopefully. Though all I got was a call asking me if I had been told my option, I hadn't........and needed to read the literature before tomorrow which they then sent me about the two injectable choices. Nothing about insulin

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
GAD and c peptide???? Sorry not sure what these are. Don't recall ever before no told about these. This appt is the result of my last set of blood tests so I assume they are looking at these hopefully. Though all I got was a call asking me if I had been told my option, I hadn't........and needed to read the literature before tomorrow which they then sent me about the two injectable choices. Nothing about insulin

The GAD test (checks for glutamic acid decarboxylase cells which are autoantibodies) will tell them whether your diabetes is auto-immune which means you're type 1 or type 1.5. The c-peptide test checks to see if c-peptide is being produced by the beta cells in your pancreas. This indicates whether or not you are producing sufficient insulin. If this test result comes back in the red then they put you on insulin to treat your diabetes. You don't need to be type 1 or type 1.5 to have insufficient insulin. With type 2 over a period of time you can get beta cell damage which results in insufficient insulin being produced. Whereas with the presence of autoantibodies that is what destroys the beta cells.... type 2 beta cell damage is from stress of the pancreas to produce more insulin usually so it basically just wears out. It's probably more common for those of us with insulin resistance as well as diabetes.

I hope this helps.

It's best to ask them for the information if you can as it will help with the decision as to what treatment you should be on. :)