Type 2 or LADA

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

Two weeks ago I went to my GP with stomach pain and unintended weight loss of 15lbs in 1.5 months (Age:30, 5'11" 190->175lbs). Turns out that the stomach pain was unrelated (GERD), but when she did my routine blood work my A1C was 7.2.

I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease almost 2 years ago and at the time my A1C was normal. My GP suspected I may have Type 1. She prescribed me metformin 500mg temporarily and referred me to an endocrinologist. I saw her earlier this week and she was very adamant that it was type 2. She didn't order any additional tests and prescribed me Janumet 50/500mg twice a day.

All seems to be under control for the time being. I was just wondering if should be pushing to have my c-peptide and antibodies checked as I am at an increased risk for other auto immune diseases or if should just worry about it if my bg starts to become harder to control

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys,

Two weeks ago I went to my GP with stomach pain and unintended weight loss of 15lbs in 1.5 months (Age:30, 5'11" 190->175lbs). Turns out that the stomach pain was unrelated (GERD), but when she did my routine blood work my A1C was 7.2.

I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease almost 2 years ago and at the time my A1C was normal. My GP suspected I may have Type 1. She prescribed me metformin 500mg temporarily and referred me to an endocrinologist. I saw her earlier this week and she was very adamant that it was type 2. She didn't order any additional tests and prescribed me Janumet 50/500mg twice a day.

All seems to be under control for the time being. I was just wondering if should be pushing to have my c-peptide and antibodies checked as I am at an increased risk for other auto immune diseases or if should just worry about it if my bg starts to become harder to control

In your shoes, I'd want sme clarification, if that weight loss was unintentional, especially bearing in mind people with one autoimmune condition can sometimes find more come to join the party. Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune condition.

When you say everything seems under control for the time being, can I ask if this is because you have some meds that seem to have settled the GERD, orr are you testing your blood sugars at home by finger prick testing?

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I've been finger pricking since I was put on the metformin and got a free trial of the freestyle libre earlier this week. My blood sugar has been pretty good. Was slightly high in the mornings when I first started testing a couple weeks ago but has returned to the high end of normal. I agree with you though, more information never hurts.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You may well be in the honeymoon period but with that unintended weight loss I would push at least for the c-peptide because at least that will show whether you have too much/too little insulin and hence the best treatment. A GAD test may or not be positive but as there are other causes of beta cell death than GAD anti-bodies a negative result doesn't prove anything but a positive one will.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. My endocrinologist seems pretty old school. Wasn’t willing to do any additional testing because my blood sugar levels weren’t that bad. Even when I suggested because of the celiac I was predisposed to other auto immune diseases she brushed it off. I have a follow up in July so I will try and push for it harder then. I convinced my insurance company to cover the FreeStyle Libre sensors so I will keeping a close eye to see if things get worse. How long is the normal honeymoon phase for people with LADA?

Also, my blood sugar has dropped to 2.9mmol/L a couple times when I’ve had 2 gluten free beers, confirmed with finger prick. I get no symptoms and feel fine but I did treat them. My doctor told me that since I’m on Janumet and it shouldn’t cause lows,that if I feel fine this may just be my bodies normal reaction and I shouldn’t worry about. What are your thoughts on that? I don’t really like the idea of going to bed with it at at 2.9

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with further testing. I’m in the USA. I had some test results that seemed off to me. In order to get further tests done, which eventually led to an accurate diagnosis, I had to offer to pay for the testing myself. There are sites here that let you order your own labs independently, but I needed a prescription for those specific labs. I don’t know where you are, but if your physician will not agree to further testing, offering to pay out of pocket might get you the authorization to have them done. I would rather pay a bit up front to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment, than pay later with more complications.

The honeymoon period is quite variable. I’ve read 0-10 years from time of diagnosis. I also seem to recall some saying it could even be longer. I’ve also NOT read if that estimate includes the time from inaccurate diagnosis as T2 to an accurate diagnosis of LADA or not.

Good luck in July. BTW, though not always the most accurate, I love my Libre.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the response. I’m in Canada. I think it’s possible for me to pay for my own tests but like you I also need a prescription. Will definitely be pushing for it at my appointment in July. For now things are under control as long as I don’t have carbs. Averaging around 5mmol/L. But if I eat any carbs I spike into the 9s or higher. Definitely noticed that the Libre tends to exaggerate highs and lows. Readings in the middle have been pretty accurate for me