Type 2 progress

Lollygaggle

I was diagnosed type 2 in November with a hba1c of 88. After starting a high fat low carb diet that got to 38 in February and my diabetic nurse suggested stopping Metformin (1000mg Sukkarto)I wanted to keep on a bit longer as I was still having morning levels around 7.5 . I've also lost 5 stone since November.

My review is due around now , but I suspect it may not be happening just yet. So I invested in a freestyle libre to see how I am spiking etc particularly overnight to see if I am happy to come off the Metformin particularly as I do have discomfort from it.

I've posted a picture of a typical day, my average blood is around 5.5 and my morning glucose level is 5.9 ish which is probably about the highest I go all day. I am very disciplined about the low carb . To me it looks pretty good and my understanding is that Metformin on its own only reduces blood glucose by a small amount . I am wondering if now is the time to ask the surgery to come off Metformin, monitor how things are with the libre and go from there.

Has anyone had to restart Metformin fairly rapidly after coming off and what was the criteria for stopping?
C2032CB4-6CBA-429B-9253-898575FAE46C.jpeg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry can’t help too much with the metformin as I’ve never taken it but wanted to say what a great job you’ve done bringing it all under excellent control. If you do choose to stop it and don’t like the results you can always restart it.

Reactions: Lollygaggle

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

This is a link showing how different studies, and different doses of Metformin have been shown to affect the HbA1c
https://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba1c-level
Basically, a lot depends on dose, and diet.
At its best, Metformin lowers HbA1c by up to 1.1% (which is the difference between 42 and 55mmol/mol) but there is no guarantee that with your body, your dose, and your lifestyle/diet you are getting anywhere near that amount of benefit from it.

If you need a translation of the different ways that the HbA1c is measured in different parts of the world, and different studies, then this graphic should help.
HbA1c-indicator.jpg

Reactions: Lollygaggle

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try reducing the metformin to see how you go.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin made me so ill I stopped taking it, no problems with the diabetes and such a relief for all the side effects.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never saw any noticeable difference in glucose levels when I stopped taking metformin LCHF has had a much greater impact for me.