LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
@ickihun

My mother told me over Christmas that I can’t have diabetes as I am not take any meds. I had actually forgotten this until my wife reminded me last night when I was telling her the story about the Lazy disease.

On a somewhat less brighter note I fell of the wagon last night and had a kebab View attachment 24910. No excuses I just fancied eating **** (and I did enjoy it - the local is a really good shop). I don’t regret it, well not much.

I did check my BG before and after - 4.8 to 7.1 so it had a little bit of an impact. It’s one of the few times my BG has increased by 2. Normally it spikes by 1 when eating.

Bad news is that I blew through my 75g carb limit for the day, good (ish) news is that I was still under 120g over the day. I allowed 81g for this piece of indulgence (from the Carbs and Cals book). And I have realised that long days are not conducive to a strong will power- 10 hours at work plus 3 hours driving – about 1½ hours in each direction.
My husband said the exact same thing to me last week, and it quite upset me. As to your binge, I did the same thing yesterday. As I'm still mostly sick, my BG was low (4.5) so I had a small homemade cookie. Oh my, it was incredibly delish. And BG only went up 1 point (happy dance). So, sometimes the cheat is worth it.

MarionGrassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find myself upset by other people’s attitudes towards type 2, both towards the seriousness of it and the ‘blame’ factor. I’m type 2 and yes, overweight although I have lost 5 stone since diagnosis. I have a sister-in-law who was diagnosed late (in middle age) as type 1. Recently, at a family gathering, this sister-in-law was answering someone’s question about the difference between the two types. She described type 2 as “the one overweight people get”. Slightly put-out, I said “not really, a lot of thin people can get it too”. She dismissed this with “well it is mostly”. On another occasion, I was speaking to another sister-in-law (her sister) who was trying to tell me that type 2 wasn’t serious. When I said it could indeed become very serious if not managed, she dismissed it with “well it’s not like your pancreas has totally packed in, is it?”
On both these occasions, I was dumbfounded and felt unable to respond adequately but each time I was left feeling my illness was considered insignificant and somehow my own fault.
To make matters worse, my husband still sticks his head in the sand re my diabetes. He just considers me to be on an annoying ‘fad’ diet - the low-carb, real-food way of eating I’ve been sticking with for 3 years.
I wish I’d known better how to respond to them. I still feel angry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

Texpat

I told my mum years ago....she still doesn't want to hear the truth. She watched Jeremy Kiley medical cases and said "oh isn't it awful".
I may add I have my father's intelligence, luckily.

They see black toes but not the fatigue and depression or longer sick days where I'm in bed ill due to horrid high bgs of a succession of exhaustion from over treated hypos.
Mothers.
It must be lovely to have a one who thinks o my wave length, but I guess I'm asking too much. She's surrounded by fools who fill her head with utter rubbish.

leahkian

People will know someone who has diabetes but not know which type, the papers make the best headline they can for sales and are not bothered if they put a stigma to type 2. ixi1 it seems that your husband does not want to deal with the illness you have or has only seen overweight people on the tv and thinks it is all about diet which it is not. I think you need to have a talk to him and maybe put a few facts to him as your children know more than him, he may get a shock one day if he comes home and you are in bed bad with your diabetes. He is in denial about the fact that you have diabetes or you could just give him salad all the time and get rid of all the things that have sugar in. The tell him you are just doing as you said and you are making healthy meals for all the family and if he likes a drink throw them out and tell him you are doing it for his own good, then he might listen more.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've heard all sorts from friends, family and acquaintances. 'It's a lifestyle disease' 'he is so thin because he can't eat cheese' 'at least it's not the bad diabetes'. What's important is that we as the people with it (or those who are here because they are sharing the situation) know what matters. You will educate some people and not others. So long as you know, just keep doing it.

Reactions: MarionGrassie

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've heard all sorts from friends, family and acquaintances. 'It's a lifestyle disease' 'he is so thin because he can't eat cheese' 'at least it's not the bad diabetes'. What's important is that we as the people with it (or those who are here because they are sharing the situation) know what matters. You will educate some people and not others. So long as you know, just keep doing it.
Just ignore the others.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
What really upsets me is the number of DOCTORS who misdiagnose T1! It's easy! And unlike T2, who can survive for years undiagnosed, if you miss a T1 diagnosis, the patient can get extremely sick, extremely quickly....surely it's worth the cost of a finger prick or blood test to check it out if the symptoms are even remotely close. I'm lucky that my GP has an excellent history with T1 diabetics - all of hers have been diagnosed before DKA. But there are plenty of doctors out there who don't understand T1, and any new diabetic who goes to them is in serious danger...
I couldn't agree more. I used to work in a school and about 20 years ago when I first started a 5 year old child died of undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. I can never forget this. Also, speaking as a type 2 who has never been overweight and always fairly active, I get upset by the labels attached to me.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
I haven't broadcast the fact that I have diabetes but occiasionlly people see me checking my BG. I normally tell them I am shooting up :)
This morning, someone who works in my office asked what I was doing so I told him I was T2. "thats the lazy disease, you need to move more" He was a little put out when I told him Steve Redgrave is also T2 and has been since the late 90's...

I know exercise helps but really....

Rant over - back to work.

He/ she must have been one wicked soul

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It seems that a few ex-footballers are fighting type2. Cannot name names, sorry. I'll let them stay anonymous for their sanity.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got asked by someone who I thought was more intelligent whether falling off my horse had caused my LADA T1.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I couldn't agree more. I used to work in a school and about 20 years ago when I first started a 5 year old child died of undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. I can never forget this. Also, speaking as a type 2 who has never been overweight and always fairly active, I get upset by the labels attached to me.
I always feel irritated when some condescending “perfect bodied” member of the public or Press point accusatory fingers at obese people. They have no idea what chemical imbalance could be the cause.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Learnt the hard way to stay silent on my conditions.
I have had a period in my life that I was always hungry and started to eat a lot, gained 20 kg.
Nobody diagnosed me that it could be impaired glucose tolerance, even if my GP had seed the borderline bloodbank exam results.
So I had a period of my life where I was fat, but was the symptom, not the cause.

Reactions: MarionGrassie