Type 2 - the lazy illness.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't broadcast the fact that I have diabetes but occiasionlly people see me checking my BG. I normally tell them I am shooting up :)
This morning, someone who works in my office asked what I was doing so I told him I was T2. "thats the lazy disease, you need to move more" He was a little put out when I told him Steve Redgrave is also T2 and has been since the late 90's...

I know exercise helps but really....

Rant over - back to work.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Yep, stupid and thoughtless. I gave my boss an earful a few months after I was diagnosed when he started slagging off the T2Ds on that awful Panorama programme on the "diabetes epidemic". And I still haven't told my mum I'm T2D.

Reactions: dbr10

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't broadcast the fact that I have diabetes but occiasionlly people see me checking my BG. I normally tell them I am shooting up :)
This morning, someone who works in my office asked what I was doing so I told him I was T2. "thats the lazy disease, you need to move more" He was a little put out when I told him Steve Redgrave is also T2 and has been since the late 90's...

You should have answered " And you, apparently, have the dumbass disease, you need to shut up more!" Chris.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just a complete idiot

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, stupid and thoughtless. I gave my boss an earful a few months after I was diagnosed when he started slagging off the T2Ds on that awful Panorama programme on the "diabetes epidemic". And I still haven't told my mum I'm T2D.
Well done on the earful! Yes: 'well, if you'd exercised more and watched your weight' view..... The idiocy of so-called journalists and presenters is breath-taking - it's no wonder the general public trot out the same rubbish. I tell everyone (when I've felt the need to) that it's genetic, as that is what my GP said and it's in the family. Seems to shut most up. It took me a while to tell my mum @Tabbyjoolz (she's 87 so may be quite a bit older than yours) and at first she thought it was just another of my 'diets' - I did know it would take a bit of persuasion! - but once she'd realised that I actually WAS T2, she was really supportive. Of course I don't know your relationship with your mum, but hopefully when you do tell her she'll be as supportive as mine.

Reactions: eggs11

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I told my mum years ago....she still doesn't want to hear the truth. She watched Jeremy Kiley medical cases and said "oh isn't it awful".
I may add I have my father's intelligence, luckily.

They see black toes but not the fatigue and depression or longer sick days where I'm in bed ill due to horrid high bgs of a succession of exhaustion from over treated hypos.
Mothers.
It must be lovely to have a one who thinks o my wave length, but I guess I'm asking too much. She's surrounded by fools who fill her head with utter rubbish.

Reactions: Kevin259

zmoakley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice/rudeness/ignorance
I think its a general lack of knowledge and ignorance, my children are very good at supporting me and have researched it but my husband just thinks I need to give up chocolate, cakes and alcohol lol. Although even that doesn't seem to be helping at the moment :( Everyone seems to have a (uninformed) view.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would say get yourself a meter, test before and an hour and 2 hours after your carby meals, do a fasting glucose test, a glucose tolerance test and have your fasting insulin test taken. Have your subcutaneous and visceral fat measured, show me all of the results and we can have a discussion.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no words except to say that if ever someone says that to me there may well be fisticuffs.

Now that's an idea - fighting is a great way to get moving more! You guys should really do more brawling, it would be a good way to get some exercise.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really hate this "diabetes = fat" thing that people keep going on about. I think it's a very dangerous idea. After all, if all that you know about diabetes is that it's something that happens when you are overweight, you're not going to recognise one of the main symptoms of T1D and DKA - sudden unintended weight loss. A parent sees their underweight skeletal kid and diabetes doesn't even occur to them because it's a fat people thing, how could someone who's all skin and bones possibly have diabetes. This isn't just offensive to diabetics, it is a stereotype that could cause real damage!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's simply to me.
Type1s if are untreated become thin. (No insulin)
Type2s if are untreated become fat. (Too much insulin)

Simple don't you think?

So how come dum ar&es get it wrong?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's simply to me.
Type1s if are untreated become thin. (No insulin)
Type2s if are untreated become fat. (Too much insulin)

Simple don't you think?

So how come dum ar&es get it wrong?

What really upsets me is the number of DOCTORS who misdiagnose T1! It's easy! And unlike T2, who can survive for years undiagnosed, if you miss a T1 diagnosis, the patient can get extremely sick, extremely quickly....surely it's worth the cost of a finger prick or blood test to check it out if the symptoms are even remotely close. I'm lucky that my GP has an excellent history with T1 diabetics - all of hers have been diagnosed before DKA. But there are plenty of doctors out there who don't understand T1, and any new diabetic who goes to them is in serious danger...

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A really informative article..... not! In M&S this morning, and saw this headline on the Daily Express paper. Off to the website
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-type-2-diet-exercise-revolutionise-treatment Nowhere does it mention the name of the course or any information on the contents of it. And then there's this: 'Type 1 is an auto-immune disease which cannot currently be cured. But Type 2 can be avoided by making lifestyle changes such as taking more exercise and eating a healthy diet.' Simple, then. Accompanied by stock photo of a rather well endowed lady standing in front of a cake display. The patients had to have a BMI of 30 and above. To my mind, the article just reinforces the "you're responsible, it's all your fault because etc" message.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun

My mother told me over Christmas that I can’t have diabetes as I am not take any meds. I had actually forgotten this until my wife reminded me last night when I was telling her the story about the Lazy disease.

On a somewhat less brighter note I fell of the wagon last night and had a kebab
upload_2018-1-11_9-32-44.png
. No excuses I just fancied eating **** (and I did enjoy it - the local is a really good shop). I don’t regret it, well not much.

I did check my BG before and after - 4.8 to 7.1 so it had a little bit of an impact. It’s one of the few times my BG has increased by 2. Normally it spikes by 1 when eating.

Bad news is that I blew through my 75g carb limit for the day, good (ish) news is that I was still under 120g over the day. I allowed 81g for this piece of indulgence (from the Carbs and Cals book). And I have realised that long days are not conducive to a strong will power- 10 hours at work plus 3 hours driving – about 1½ hours in each direction.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
More journalist need to experience type2. And they will if they are right. Shift work, eating badly and getting fat. Photographers for these papers sit around a lot.
Mind u so do my 2 sisters and mum but they don't have diabetes.

The journalists are confusing diet and exercise as a permanent solution to type2. Nope. We may not be always be able to run marathons. I'm proof of that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun

My mother told me over Christmas that I can’t have diabetes as I am not take any meds. I had actually forgotten this until my wife reminded me last night when I was telling her the story about the Lazy disease.

On a somewhat less brighter note I fell of the wagon last night and had a kebab View attachment 24910. No excuses I just fancied eating **** (and I did enjoy it - the local is a really good shop). I don’t regret it, well not much.

I did check my BG before and after - 4.8 to 7.1 so it had a little bit of an impact. It’s one of the few times my BG has increased by 2. Normally it spikes by 1 when eating.

Bad news is that I blew through my 75g carb limit for the day, good (ish) news is that I was still under 120g over the day. I allowed 81g for this piece of indulgence (from the Carbs and Cals book). And I have realised that long days are not conducive to a strong will power- 10 hours at work plus 3 hours driving – about 1½ hours in each direction.
Kebab is more than ok without pitta bread and sugary sauces. Fresh meat and salad is lovely. Include it in your diet so you don't feel deprived maybe?
Mothers!!!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told him I was T2. "thats the lazy disease, you need to move more"

You could tell the office idiot that he needs to do some mental exercise, in the form of learning.

He'll probably need to build himself up slowly, though, in order to avoid breaking anything.

Or send him round to me. I'm an overweight Type 2, but I challenge him to get to the top of my local 400m high hill faster than me. He'd be the first person I've seen do it, except for fell runners. If he turns out to be a fell runner, I have a trick up my sleeve: I'd ask him to take pity on this poor lazy Type 2 and carry my rucksack for me. All 23kg of it.

Reactions: archersuz