Type 2 with diverticulitis

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've just come out of hospital after a visit to a&e at midnight on Tuesday. I'm supposed to follow a high fibre diet, following the LCHF diet just now. No advice about food other than high fibre and my body will tell me what is bad for me.... Well it only told me when I was admitted with acute pain. I had no idea I had this. Any advice on food that I should/shouldn't eat?
Have had about 5 hrs sleep in 39 hrs, body telling me I need sleep, head refusing to turn off! The medication about to go into my cannula this afternoon had small bubbles of air in it, so told the nurse to stop it. She did, telling me small bubbles didn't hurt, only large ones! So now worried about going sleep..... Although I would think if one was going to kill me it would have worked its deed in 9 hrs!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi beryl
I have diverticulitis and the best advice that works for me is to ensure I have enough soluble fibre. For me that works out at a spoonful or 2 of linseed (aka flaxseed) everyday. Chia seed also works well.
Although they can be bought whole I find it easier to get the milled (crushed) seeds. Then I simply use them in place of cereal or oats with full fat greek yoghurt. If you dont like them dry you can mix them in the night before so it all swells up overnight into a muesli type mush. Add a couple of berries and it makes a nice easy breakfast.
The seed can also be added to salads or into things like bolognese. A keto style 90 second mug bread is very tasty and uses up to 3 spoonfuls too. Mixing them with coconut milk or cream makes nice change too and can add flavourings such as chocolate or coffee.
At first you might find you need 3 spoonfuls day while your body recovers, over time that can reduce. I now dont need them daily but reintroduce them if I think I'm in danger of constipation.
Other fibre comes in vegetables and salads, but just normal amounts. The seeds will work their magic

I've had diverticular problems for decades before diabetes but find the seeds fit well into low carb eating. No need for supplements or grains whatsoever.

Hope this works for you too.
Bigger packets can be bought in health food stores but both lidl and aldi do reasonable mixes these days.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Fiber was one of my concerns starting on low carb, I also add psyllium husk, chia, flax seeds, avocado, celery, nuts, green leafy veggies... etc.. hope gives you ideas.

Reactions: berylc