Type 2 without insulin. Eating before and after gym.

nualasdad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody.

I am type two and my diabetes nurse has told me not to bother testing blood.

I wanted to ask what other people ate before and after a gym workout.

I am not sure if I should be eating before and after a workout. As my workout lasts an hour. The NHS literature says to eat three balanced meals a day. But a lot of people who go to the gym eat a protien based meal straight after a workout.

Would a meal before and after a workout be bad news for blood sugar?

I am interested to know how people deal with food before and after gym?

Thanks!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I need to eat before and after exercise. I would disregard the NHS advice to eat 3 meals... if adding in 2 snacks, or eating 4 meals, works for you, then that's all that matters. Be guided by what your blood glucose meter says. (And ignore your DN telling you not to bother testing... she/he is wrong on that). Also, I have protein with every meal or snack, as it helps me not to feel hungry.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nualasdad

Take the advice given by @CatLadyNZ above - eat when you're hungry and be guided by your BG meter.
Really as to whether you should eat before/after your workout depends somewhat on how intensive your workout is.
Take a look at this link which should help too:
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Questions_-_What_time_day.html

Useful info to know: An elevated heart (>80% VO2Max) rate causes a stress response which will trigger your liver to release glucose into the blood stream.

Basically if your workout is super intensive then you are likely to get a blood glucose spike during/after your workout, so it's worth waiting for your BGs to normalise afterwards before you eat (any carbs you eat will have a smaller impact on any blood glucose rise too, as your muscles and liver will be re-stocking their energy stores and help mop up any circulating glucose)

If it's a fairly steady aerobic workout, then you can eat before, as the exercise will help lower any potential blood glucose rise after eating. (Your working muscles will draw out some of the circulating glucose in order to fuel your activity)

If your snack or meal is zero carb, then obviously it really doesn't matter when you eat.

Happy training!:)

Reactions: 2 people