Type 2

sue122

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, im type 2 diabetic & have been for the last 7 years it was triggered by the passing of my mum who i really miss.
Yesterday i had 2 cups of tea once i got up, i dont eat anything for at least a couple of hrs cause it makes me feel sick eating straight away, but due to the hot weather we had yesterday i was drinking loads of water as we were working in the garden, i felt fine even though i hadnt eaten yet we decided to stop around midday to have something to eat i was still deinking loads of water, i took my tablets & cause my other half hadnt been to bed yet after a night shift he went @ 1600, myself on the other hand stayed up watching the final of the snooker except when i got ip my legs felt like jelly i got my glugose meter & did a test & it came out @ 2.8 i thought oh *** what do i do now as this is the first its dropped so low i didnt have any thing sweet to eat so i made myself a sweet cup of tea & it brought it up to 4.0 before i went to bed i did another test & it was 7.7 but when it went to 2.8 it frughtened the living **** out of me

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethanw57

Hi all, im type 2 diabetic & have been for the last 7 years it was triggered by the passing of my mum who i really miss.
Yesterday i had 2 cups of tea once i got up, i dont eat anything for at least a couple of hrs cause it makes me feel sick eating straight away, but due to the hot weather we had yesterday i was drinking loads of water as we were working in the garden, i felt fine even though i hadnt eaten yet we decided to stop around midday to have something to eat i was still deinking loads of water, i took my tablets & cause my other half hadnt been to bed yet after a night shift he went @ 1600, myself on the other hand stayed up watching the final of the snooker except when i got ip my legs felt like jelly i got my glugose meter & did a test & it came out @ 2.8 i thought oh *** what do i do now as this is the first its dropped so low i didnt have any thing sweet to eat so i made myself a sweet cup of tea & it brought it up to 4.0 before i went to bed i did another test & it was 7.7 but when it went to 2.8 it frughtened the living **** out of me
Eating some high sugar foods initially (say a few jelly beans) then getting stuck into some bread or some other lower gi carb 15-20 minutes later is the best way to treat a hypo (whilst sitting still of course). If you are type 2 that would possibly indicate a hormone imbalance probably unrelated to diabetes and you should see your GP immediately as hypoglycaemia can be very, very harmful. You also may want to check out the type 2 diabetes section of the forums for anyone who may have had a similar problem!

D

Deleted Account

If you have no "hypo treatment" like Lucozade or glucose tablets, table sugar works just as well to bring your BG back up.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sue122 Your post has appeared in the type 1 section, would you like me to move this to type 2 so it has more visibility with other type 2 diabetics ? Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sue122

My experience of hypos like that is that yes, treating it with glucose or sugar is the first, most important step.
But then, following that up with a good meal is also very important. Meat, veg, some butter on the veg, maybe a few slow release carbs. Something that will give you a good steady release of energy to stop you bouncing up and down like you did.

As mentioned above, could you tell us what tablets you took? Different tablets have different effects, so they may have contributed to the way you feel. :)