Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managed to have a lie in today for th e first time in months - reading 5.3 when I eventually got up :)

Reactions: 16 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BBQ last night. had one sausage and a burger using my own low carb bread (big dollop of sour cream as the hosts only had low fat mayo) and a couple of large glasses of red wine.

Reactions: 14 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read about "last meal effect". Dr Google can probably help with sources.

Our bodies like routine, and will "be ready" to repeat recent meals, which is why when some people have a very high carb meal/snack they are not used to (like trying pizza or cake after a period of abstinence) their bloods can go stratospheric - even higher than at diagnosis. If they repeated the exercise immediately, they could get a much improved result, as their body could be expecting the carbs. (Clearly T1s not producing insulin are different.)

Clearly all of that depends on the state/efficiency of the individual's pancreas and general digestive system and the state of their condition.

So, your low, having gone from a real carb-fest (did you calculate the carbs you consumed. It shouldn't be too tricky from the packaging), then follow up with starvation style rations, your body could have been stimulated to pump out the insulin and other digestive enzymes, only the carbs weren't there. On Planet Breathe, I refer to this as enzyme lag.

As I say, please have a read around.
Thanks for that AndBreathe :)

Sounds feasible - I'll get onto google now

Cheers

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
What do you eat in the the night to have such fantastic results :angelic::)

I had mushroom and egg last night for dinner and came at 5.3 this morning.
Er nothing as i'm asleep...angelic, but i can tell you i only eat 40 grams of carbs, 120 grams of protein , and plenty of fat.at regular intervals last drink before bed after exercise and shower , organic hot chocolate with fresh cream

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one for lunch and one for tea last night and my BS never went up by more than 1.0 both times.
I am about to have half a one with lunch so will let you know in 2 hours how it goes.....please don't let it spike me :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am about to have half a one with lunch so will let you know in 2 hours how it goes.....please don't let it spike me :nailbiting:
Results in.....a good sized half of one roll made my numbers go up one whole number so not bad at all :D

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They defrost beautifully......just had half a one with lunch so waiting to see what happens BG wise.....watch this space :nailbiting:
Results in....one good sized half made my numbers go up just one whole number so not bad at all :D Delicious and a proper chunk of bread :D Can't wait to have a proper sandwich now :D

Reactions: 6 people

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love it, they are very robust that's for sure and you feel like you have had a proper sandwich too. Great news, Lidl will be selling out rapidly at this rate of word of mouth. :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love it, they are very robust that's for sure and you feel like you have had a proper sandwich too. Great news, Lidl will be selling out rapidly at this rate of word of mouth. :)
I'm off to get more before they do lol

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I brought 10 the last time I was there just over a wk ago, have only used 4 so still got plenty but I'll be back next week for sure. :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Results in.....a good sized half of one roll made my numbers go up one whole number so not bad at all :D

Freezing and defrosting may have the effect of hardening the starch, which may explain the positive result. Would be interesting to see if a fresh piece results in a higher rise.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 this morning (31/05/15)

Not much to say today except I walked 7 miles yesterday and feel good :)

Still on the ND

Snap - walked 7 miles too. Unfortunately this morning's result was an 8.0 :( This can be explained to an extent by another celebratory meal (only one birthday left this year!) and it was quite late in the evening. I have fasted since that meal and it's 5PM now, so no food since 9PM last night - 20 hours. Supper is goiung to be in another hour... Just tested (before supper) and 6.5. Not brilliant really, but safe. Will test again 2 hours supper. I recently returned from a brisk walk (only 2 miles this time) so that could have temporarily lifted my BG I suppose - grasping at straws really. The good news is that my weight has now dropped below 11st 10lbs for the first time in probably at least 30 years. It was 11st 10lb exactly briefly a couple of months ago and at the time I was getting low-mid 5s. Tonight's supper is roast chicken but no starchy veg or wine for me, nor pudding. Hoping for a better reading tomorrow morning. Am also going for my 6-monthly HbA1c at the blood clinic tomorrow.

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.