Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the things Metformin helps with is the liver dump. Logically, your morning fasting levels should improve on Metformin.
Oops. I've just stopped medication.
5.1 before bed.
I felt quite strange in the early hours but didn't test because I have 3 tests left until Thursday pm. Tested at 06:25 and it was 5.6. I don't think that's so bad though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No that is pretty good. Well done.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.6 this morning. I increased my Metformin from 2 tablets a day to 4 a day at the start of May and then really improved my diet about 2 weeks ago at the start of June when I started testing myself. So having read the comments concerning Metformin and morning levels and having heard it takes a while for it to work, I am now wondering if it was the Metformin increase of the change in diet. Over the last 2 weeks my morning level has dropped from about 8.5. Whatever it is something is obviously working.

Reactions: 4 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
4.8 for me. I think the 45 minutes on the treadmill in the early evenings is really helping me get the levels down. Chicken salad for dinner.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Does anyone know how I can measure fat in my liver and pancreas without asking for an expensive scan? If we accept Professor Taylor's argument that this is what is central to sorting out our levels then would be good to know. Also how can we measure beta function?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me this morning.

This morning will be interesting. I have my HbA1c test at 9-45am so no food or brews for me (also lipids, liver & kidney function and full blood count). I never miss breakfast and always eat within 15 minutes of getting up. I wonder what my enforced fast will do apart from make me feel hungry?

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
5.8 this morning, 3.6 last night. Seems that it wasn't DP but the junk titbits I had been indulging in.

Ok Back on track ...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone know how I can measure fat in my liver and pancreas without asking for an expensive scan? If we accept Professor Taylor's argument that this is what is central to sorting out our levels then would be good to know. Also how can we measure beta function?
You could look at a body fat analysing scales @AndBreathe bought one recently so maybe she can tell you if it is any good

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me this morning.

This morning will be interesting. I have my HbA1c test at 9-45am so no food or brews for me (also lipids, liver & kidney function and full blood count). I never miss breakfast and always eat within 15 minutes of getting up. I wonder what my enforced fast will do apart from make me feel hungry?

OK I'm back from blood letting and had my normal breakfast.

On rising at 8am 5.7
Before leaving home at 9-20am 6.3
Back home at 10am 6.2
Breakfast

So I had a liver dump between getting up and leaving home, only had water, no exercise, no stress, no shower just a wash.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gordon, I've also had a weird day following my 6.7 this morning. I had breakfast of yoghurt and some berries, then around 2 had a 45 minute walk, following which I was 5.2. Had lunch of some olives, houmous, salami, tomato and cheese. At +1 I was 7.3 (average of 2). Did 10 minutes on rower and BG dropped to 5.0. At 7.30 before dinner it was up to 6.2 again. Dinner was chicken and salad, with berries & cream. At +1 it was still 6.2, did another 10 minutes on rower and went to 5.8, then at +2 it was back to 7.0!

I'm wondering if my liver hasn't got used to my exercise and assumes I am needing continuous glucose which it provides if I don't keep eating. Should I exercise at the same times each day for the same durations? Would my liver learn or does it just need a slap?

Waiting for tomorrow's fasting reading with excitement/interest/trepidation (delete whichever does not apply).

Definitely a weird day. Could it have been the heat?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Definitely a weird day. Could it have been the heat?

Anything's possible I suppose! Worst thing would be to panic though, I'm just hanging in there with my diet and exercise and trusting that things will improve in due course.

Fingers crossed for your blood results! I have my next ones on 14 July.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything's possible I suppose! Worst thing would be to panic though, I'm just hanging in there with my diet and exercise and trusting that things will improve in due course.

Fingers crossed for your blood results! I have my next ones on 14 July.

Thanks. I'm feeling nervous because it's only 2 months since my last one and I've only been testing since then, and it has been/still is a steep learning curve with post prandials less than good, although fasting and all the befores are good enough. Work in progress on post prandials. I will be very disappointed if I haven't improved.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning. Woke up at 5 in panic then dozed fitfully till way after 9 so think my liver just was as confused as rest of me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Andrew - will do.

I like my scales. They give me lots of information I find useful.

The research I did before buying directed me to a scale with multi point measurements, so as well as the foot sensors, mine has a hand bar, which is held as measurements are taken. This gives a more accurate (interpret accurate in your own way), and certainly, in my findings, very consistent readings. I have mine set to read in kg, and it reads to 0.1kg. I can step on and off repeatedly and always get the same readings, which is like. I've never been tempted to do all that standing on one leg, or standing at the front/back of the scale pad.

The fat and muscle readings are expressed as a percentage, and I like to keep an eye on those (the scale memory helps with the actual numbers) to ensure any weight loss or gain is fat or muscle respectively. Visceral fat is displayed on a linear score of 1 - 30, with the manual expressing the normal/abnormal bands for interpretation.

I like all the data, but I'm a data sort of person. Ahem. To be honest, I'm moderately unconcerned of a number says 3, 6, or 8, provided I am seeing the trend or steady state I am looking for, and I am within the bands I have set for myself.

I picked my scales up on eBay, new, at a great price. In August I have to decide if they travel back to UK with me, or whether I buy another set for the UK base. Currently, I think I'll have another set.

Mine are the Omron BF511.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I like my scales. They give me lots of information I find useful.

The research I did before buying directed me to a scale with multi point measurements, so as well as the foot sensors, mine has a hand bar, which is held as measurements are taken. This gives a more accurate (interpret accurate in your own way), and certainly, in my findings, very consistent readings. I have mine set to read in kg, and it reads to 0.1kg. I can step on and off repeatedly and always get the same readings, which is like. I've never been tempted to do all that standing on one leg, or standing at the front/back of the scale pad.

The fat and muscle readings are expressed as a percentage, and I like to keep an eye on those (the scale memory helps with the actual numbers) to ensure any weight loss or gain is fat or muscle respectively. Visceral fat is displayed on a linear score of 1 - 30, with the manual expressing the normal/abnormal bands for interpretation.

I like all the data, but I'm a data sort of person. Ahem. To be honest, I'm moderately unconcerned of a number says 3, 6, or 8, provided I am seeing the trend or steady state I am looking for, and I am within the bands I have set for myself.

I picked my scales up on eBay, new, at a great price. In August I have to decide if they travel back to UK with me, or whether I buy another set for the UK base. Currently, I think I'll have another set.

Mine are the Omron BF511.

Many thanks for this very helpful response. Will investigate!
P

Status
Not open for further replies.