Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree strip issues again, batch ending 72.

Breakfast contained 8g carbs, nothing different from normal. (greek yogurt, 2 strawberries, flaxseed)
Before 5.7 (a bit high but not significant)
at 1 hour a huge 7.2 but I accepted it.
at 2 hours totally ridiculous 8.1/8.5/7.4
Got the Accu chek out - 6.4, which is about right. :banghead:

I opened this tub yesterday and had unexpected high post meal figures for the food eaten, although pre-meals were fairly normal. :confused:

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm half way through 10 tubs of the same batch but haven't had any issues with them - yet.

S

Sable_Jan

I think a lot of these things that people say you can only get once turn out to be things you can get again, especially if you have other long term conditions like diabetes and I guess MS too.
Unfortunately. I think it depends upon the age you got them, how severely and Moe importantly, how well your body did at making antibodies. Any existing condition that compromises your immune system (or medication for it that does) then we're more susceptible to the bugs

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's COLD. My 5 degrees is positively balmy ;) Amazing photos though.

Temperatures out here can swing wildly. The week before Xmas we were above zero most of the time. Clear skies = lots of sun, and low temps, where clouds means warmer temps for us. We historically have very sunny January's . Oddly enough, I perfer the colder temps, as they are a very dry cold, and I find that I can stay warmer in a dry cold than in a very humid winter of lower temps.

I was once on a business trip that took me near the Alaska boarder. No wind, dead calm, over night/ morning temp was -53C......

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I and some erratic readings with that batch and I can't say current one ending in 26 is much better. It seems worse when I leave them in my bedroom which is pretty cold- as in cold enough to see your breath.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Welcome to the thread aka madouse @badbrogs21 and @Susikav. Plenty of friendly advice, encouragement along wth sense of humour; something you can't live without when dealing wth diabetes (even pre-d like me)

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

Is it definitely measles? I saw you said you'd had it before. I thought we could only have it once. Am I wrong ... again? Take care.
Sadly yes. Dr confirmed it today. And you can have it more than once. My grandchildren all had it before christmas and v kindly passed it to me. Hey ho

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hi BT ) Because I got a 4.8 last nite and I will not let this go :) This is not simply the reading but far more to test my theory that pre bed exercise works wonders for my following morning figures. :) To test that, I ate some small pieces of 85% dark chocolate, some double thick dream and some full fat yoghurt post dinner and @ 2 hours ? ... Up I went to 7.7. More pavement smashing for 20 minutes and back down to 7.1.

I MUST know what works for me and what doesn't.
I understand you on the wanting to know what works and what doesn't in case you end up in the situation where you eat high carb foods or go hungry. Christmas meal I went to had meaty options wth the vegetarian dish being high carb pasta. I chose fish not being fully vegetarian (still eat meat sometimes too tho most often prefer not to) but it would be nice if eating out places offered low carb options and low sugar these days. Had pear in mulled wine wth cream for desert that day. I know you don't low carb and would've chosen the exercise option after but that's not an option for me. We do what works for ourselves and that's important :) think your wife mayb worried abt you doing too much tho - or missing your company indoors :D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree strip issues again, batch ending 72.

Breakfast contained 8g carbs, nothing different from normal. (greek yogurt, 2 strawberries, flaxseed)
Before 5.7 (a bit high but not significant)
at 1 hour a huge 7.2 but I accepted it.
at 2 hours totally ridiculous 8.1/8.5/7.4
Got the Accu chek out - 6.4, which is about right. :banghead:

I opened this tub yesterday and had unexpected high post meal figures for the food eaten, although pre-meals were fairly normal. :confused:

I'm half way through a batch of those too, and I have had some "oh b*&^%$" readings I can't explain, but I was keeping quiet on the basis of not wanting to unsettle anyone.

I was working on the basis that some of the tickly throats and the odd headache might be a quiet virus, so for me the jury's out.

I am however about to place an order for 6 months worth of the things, so whatever I get, I'll be stuck with it for ages!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly yes. Dr confirmed it today. And you can have it more than once. My grandchildren all had it before christmas and v kindly passed it to me. Hey ho

Oooops indeed. Sorry Alliebee, you will have to get some baby mittens in case you start scratching without realising! ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I and some erratic readings with that batch and I can't say current one ending in 26 is much better. It seems worse when I leave them in my bedroom which is pretty cold- as in cold enough to see your breath.

I'm half way through a batch of those too, and I have had some "oh b*&^%$" readings I can't explain, but I was keeping quiet on the basis of not wanting to unsettle anyone.

I was working on the basis that some of the tickly throats and the odd headache might be a quiet virus, so for me the jury's out.

I am however about to place an order for 6 months worth of the things, so whatever I get, I'll be stuck with it for ages!

Yet another before lunch
Codefree 6.3 (considerably higher than my average)
Accu chek 5.4 (much more realistic)

This is my last tub from this batch. Next lot are ending 26 like Ethyl's, and I have 10 tubs of them.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BT ) Because I got a 4.8 last nite and I will not let this go :) This is not simply the reading but far more to test my theory that pre bed exercise works wonders for my following morning figures. :) To test that, I ate some small pieces of 85% dark chocolate, some double thick dream and some full fat yoghurt post dinner and @ 2 hours ? ... Up I went to 7.7. More pavement smashing for 20 minutes and back down to 7.1.

I MUST know what works for me and what doesn't. That is just me :) Mike :)

...... and Bluetit ..... my wife is on your side ........ she reckons I'm over the top on this :) Might listen to my MUCH better half.

Thanks for the statins advice too :)

OK, Mike. Sit down and listen to your Auntie AndBreathe.

Trust me on this one, you will never be able to justify every reading you get. Diabetes just doesn't work that way. We may know what we've eaten, drunk, and the exercise we've taken, but there are just soooooo many variables at play, and, the big D just seems to throw a curved ball every now and then. Oh, and don't forget the allowable variances in meter/strips.

Every now and then I think I'm getting to a great place mentally (and I generally don't do so badly), then something happens and the meter reads an unhappy number. I actually say things like, "Oh, how odd. I'll just move on and worry if I get too many of those", but Mr B tells me that sometimes my eyes say something more like "What the heck is all that about, )(%£^, *£^$^ !!??!!"

We need to find a level of acceptance. Of not knowing everything. We think because we can measure that we can measure, analyse and review and make sense every time. The diabetes fairy, however, knows differently.

And one final thing, which is most important of all. Our loved ones need to see us achieving that level of acceptance. This thing isn't a solo sport. Those we live with and love are on a journey too. Watching someone we love suffer is very difficult, and I am trying very had to ease that situation for Mr B. He has been my greatest support and supporter, and I'm trying very hard not to (needlessly) put him through any more than absokutely necessary.

I know you care very deeply for Mrs D, so maybe just try to think on the foregoing a little further.

It's tough. It's rubbish. But, how we cope can be in our own hands. Please try to find a way of cutting yourself some slack.

Reactions: 19 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yet another before lunch

This is my last tub from this batch. Next lot are ending 26 like Ethyl's, and I have 10 tubs of them.

I must admit I only ever order 5 at a time even if it means missing the bigger discount as it is demoralising being stuck with a dodgy batch.

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

Temperatures out here can swing wildly. The week before Xmas we were above zero most of the time. Clear skies = lots of sun, and low temps, where clouds means warmer temps for us. We historically have very sunny January's . Oddly enough, I perfer the colder temps, as they are a very dry cold, and I find that I can stay warmer in a dry cold than in a very humid winter of lower temps.

I was once on a business trip that took me near the Alaska boarder. No wind, dead calm, over night/ morning temp was -53C......
Chilly ;)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, Mike. Sit down and listen to your Auntie AndBreathe.

Trust me on this one, you will never be able to justify every reading you get. Diabetes just doesn't work that way. We may know what we've eaten, drunk, and the exercise we've taken, but there are just soooooo many variables at play, and, the big D just seems to throw a curved ball every now and then. Oh, and don't forget the allowable variances in meter/strips.

Every now and then I think I'm getting to a great place mentally (and I generally don't do so badly), then something happens and the meter reads an unhappy number. I actually say things like, "Oh, how odd. I'll just move on and worry if I get too many of those", but Mr B tells me that sometimes my eyes say something more like "What the heck is all that about, )(%£^, *£^$^ !!??!!"

We need to find a level of acceptance. Of not knowing everything. We think because we can measure that we can measure, analyse and review and make sense every time. The diabetes fairy, however, knows differently.

And one final thing, which is most important of all. Our loved ones need to see us achieving that level of acceptance. This thing isn't a solo sport. Those we live with and love are on a journey too. Watching someone we love suffer is very difficult, and I am trying very had to ease that situation for Mr B. He has been my greatest support and supporter, and I'm trying very hard not to (needlessly) put him through any more than absokutely necessary.

I know you care very deeply for Mrs D, so maybe just try to think on the foregoing a little further.

It's tough. It's rubbish. But, how we cope can be in our own hands. Please try to find a way of cutting yourself some slack.

Very wise words. Obviously at diagnosis we are thrown into a turmoil of emotions and it is necessary to focus on ourselves and the disease to gain some freedom from the anxiety and fear that such a diagnosis can bring. So we test, record, take up exercise , change our diet etc and this is great for a while but eventually we need to learn to cut ourselves some slack and let life be about us and not diabetes. I have diabetes is far better than saying I am diabetic as it helps divorce the illness from what is fundamental to being ourselves. I've felt exactly as you have felt along with countless others on here when faced with a slightly out there reading and it is hard to just shrug and move on , but we have to accept that sometimes we will just have a rubbish reading because we are diabetics, or for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with diabetes. It is worse I think when you have been low and see a higher reading that would have been perfectly acceptable weeks or days earlier. But it happens and stressing won't help lower them. You are doing so well Mike that it would be a shame to burnout from being overly focused now.. remember this is for life now and needs to be sustainable - if you are happy to exercise after dinner, that's fine( I do as way of having a few extra carbs with main meal now and then) but don't make it something you have to do or you get worked up about.

Reactions: 17 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yet another before lunch

What about doing a few comparisons with new batch against the accucheck? At least then you'll know if they are reading high and can adjust appropriately mentally. I'm not familiar with the accuracy of the accucheck but assume you trust it more than the codefree?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I must admit I only ever order 5 at a time even if it means missing the bigger discount as it is demoralising being stuck with a dodgy batch.
Bluetit802.... That is iniquitous.... how can the manufacturer not be responsible for a faulty batch of test strips? Is that normal? This is your health we're talking about, not just money... if, say, you brought home a pair of trousers from M&S and there was a hole in them they would be replaced immediately, no questions asked.... Surely, if the readings are so out of the ordinary for you - especially if you test with another meter - the company concerned would have to accept liability and reimburse you.... or am I being naive? I spend most of my time travelling in the Middle East and Cyprus, so have to buy my meters and strips...I always have two different brands so that I can test them against each other, for just that situation... If the readings were wildly different I would return the test strips and get my money back for sure... It's so frightening.... you were sensible and just checked instead of going into a flat spin...I would undoubtedly have gone into the headless chicken thingy... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.