Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

Ahhhh, lucky you :) I'm not quite at that point yet! Aren't we all diabetics here?
Potentially I guess - I was prediabetic last year and got my HbA1c down to "normal" levels but I consider myself to be at risk of going back up if I don't follow what I have been doing for the last 12 months, and not just at risk of going to pre but also to diabetic levels - it was afterall my old lifestyle that got me there in the first place...

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
6.8 this morning after a nice sleep in my own bed what a difference your own bed makes.
Wrap up warm
How nice after a horrid run of days... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
5.7 Aaaargh! Hate going over 5.5. Didn't test last night as I was only having some chicken with mixed vegetables and a 9 bar afterwards. Restless night as my son wasn't well so that probably didn't help.

Just out of interest I still use a Contour machine but I notice on the web that it says that this machine has been upgraded to a Contour XT or Contour Next. Is it essential to upgrade? I just bought some strips off Ebay for the existing machine.
If it's the same brand, would the strips not be the same? Maybe you could upgrade without wasting your money?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.5 this fine morning.... I have a day off work today so decided to go and get my hair done...:) too hours of me time what could be Better.
Bravo... be good to yourself... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had the same problems, stomach cramps, gas, gurgling stomach, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. So, it could well be the metformin, and it may not be suiting you. Some folks have said these symptoms die down after a bit, but I was on Metformin for five years and it just got worse. Best to have a chat with your GP
How awful.... is there no alternative?... it's scary stuff.. my 92 year-old mum is on it - she never complains, but she does run - hobble fast - to the loo when I'm skyping her, a lot... Poor mum, I need to ask her... :(

Reactions: 8 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A very miserable 8.9 due entirely to be sick of pain and half a bag of maltesers and feeling sorry for myself....to make it worse I felt no better for scoffing them. ( shakes self). ( pulls self up by boot straps)
We're all here listening alliebee.... I wish we could help somehow.... :inpain::(

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.3 this morning but showered first, did brekky for house dogs, took delivery of parcel and put contents away, make and drunk a brew THEN tested ;)
That's really good... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The other night I dreamt about a breakfast of a large bowl of Cornflakes with half a pint of milk and 2 tbsp. of sugar with several slices of thick white bread and loads of thick orange marmalade. Nightmare!
Sounds like a lovely dream to me... used to have that all the time... :hungry:

S

Sable_Jan

That's sooooo lovely you had a nice sleep in your own bed @loulou99782 - hospital beds aren't the most comfortable in the world are they and so often too much going on, lights are on etc etc....

Stay home and relax - venture out when its warmer

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's the same brand, would the strips not be the same? Maybe you could upgrade without wasting your money?

According to the blurb the new machines take a "Contour Next" strip which claims to be more accurate. Doesn't say if the new machines are backward compatible.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
oops didn't realise weetabix would have a detrimental effect on my blood glucose, thought i was being healthy. I have just tested my blood 2hrs later and it is 7.9. is that good or bad. If its bad could it be down to the weetabix? if that's the case what is the best thing to be having for breakfast?
Hi killerkaz... Are you low-carbing?

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a lovely dream to me... used to have that all the time... :hungry:

Same here I used to love starting my day off with a warm bowl of milk and cornflakes with sugar on top. Was so satisfying and filling.

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am starting a study on myself to see what effect food has on my blood sugar levels. I know to do my bloods pre meal and post meal but what if I have a snack (eg fruit) between meals won't that effect my pre meal reading? or should I just stick to 3 meals a day. Trouble is I get really hungry mid morning as i have my breakfast around 6.30 before I leave for work.
Testing is the only way to find out what is good for your BG and what is bad... fruit is generally not too good, but berries are good in moderation... blueberries, strawberries and raspberries... Full-fat Greek yoghurt is perfect with berries and a few slivers of almonds... most people snack on cheese - BabyBel transports well - tree-nuts, olives or a slice of ham or some other cold meat... you cannot go from 6.30 to lunch-time without something else... It's not good for you.. :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7.9 isn't overly high in itself but it depends what you tested at beforehand - to give you the full impact. its the carbohydrates in the weetabix. You may find that you can manage one without spiking your bs too much. Also what milk do you use? I can have a reasonable portion of porridge as long as I use soya milk - I buy Sainsbury's "fresh" unsweetened as it is < 0.5g carbs per 250mls - the Basics longlife one is 1.8g carbs for the same amount (I did wrongly quote it as 5 a while back :meh:) so you could try your usual amount - presuming you have 2? with soya milk and do the test again. If the results are reasonable test the same breakfast a few days in a row then decide if you can add it to your "ok" list

Hope this helps
Jan
How sensible! :)

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sable_Jan
@DorisM67
Thank you, incredibly thoughtful.

I know how old I am.....but my full length bathroom mirror is always so kind to me.... I sometimes question my birth certificate.
;-)

Lchf......takes years of me......

DorisM67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How awful.... is there no alternative?... it's scary stuff.. my 92 year-old mum is on it - she never complains, but she does run - hobble fast - to the loo when I'm skyping her, a lot... Poor mum, I need to ask her... :(
i get the same symptoms but some days are better than others where i am okay and i have been on it now since 2008

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.