Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

Just noticed an interesting effect, since stopping metformin to have a decent drink at the beginning of this week, my levels have,well,sort of levelled. I reported on this thread yesterday that my fasting level was 6.4 at 8AM, since then virtually the same levels have registered. I had a CT scan today, asked for by the Opthalmologist ( crikey, I think I may have spelt that correctly ! ) I don't know what the scan had to do with potential retinopathy ( another big word ! ). But I will report further progress re the withdrawal of metformin.

Good luck GraceK, onwards....

Superchip

cookfield

How is everyone testing BS? I live in SE and GPs no longer prescribe T2s with test strips. I am on Metformin 2000 and Gliclazide 30mg. My GP says I dont need to test but unfortunately my Hba1c has now done upto 8 (64).

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

cookfield said:
How is everyone testing BS? I live in SE and GPs no longer prescribe T2s with test strips. I am on Metformin 2000 and Gliclazide 30mg. My GP says I dont need to test but unfortunately my Hba1c has now done upto 8 (64).

A lot of people fund testing themselves as like yourself their GP's say you don't need to test but most on the forum think it's a good idea as how else will you know what's safe for you? In reality many doctors won't prescribe as they see it as too expensive.

If you are forced down the self funding route the cheapest option is to buy an SD Codefree meter off either Amazon or eBay. On eBay you'll find them for sale in the healthcare.co.uk shop. A meter with an initial 50 strips plus a spiker thing and case will cost under £20. Strips are then £5 for 50 which is loads cheaper than other meters. Make sure you get a UK mmol/l model and not a US mg/dl one or it will give confusing numbers.

At a minimum and until you have your levels under control you should test 2 hours after eating. The guidelines state to be under 8 after two hours and be between 4 and 7 at all other times. With an hBA1c of 8% your levels are averaging at 11.6 so you are well over the safety guideline limits and I would advise you to change how you are trying to control your condition as soon a possible. How you change is up to you. You can get a meter and then reduce your carbohydrates down until you start getting safe levels as one route or go back to the gp and ask for stronger medication as an alternative but it is important that you get your levels under control or you do risk serious complications in the future.

...and so I'm not off topic mine was 4.1 at 8.00am this morning :)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.

5.9 this morning.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Taaa Daaaaaaaaahhh !!! This morning my Fasting BG was a resounding 5.7 !!! :lol:

I am sooooooooo pleased with myself, in 38 days since I was diagnosed I have managed to reduce my BG from 11.9 to 5.7 today. That's the lowest it's been so far and its been steadily coming down since I joined THIS FORUM and listened to the voices of experience here.

I don't know what my levels were from bloods taken at the surgery, my GP didn't tell me and I forgot to ask because I was busy taking in the diagnosis that my mind went blank.

I've began on 8/8 with Metformin 1000mg and I added Chromium and L-Tyrosine as supplements and my morning levels were around 6-7 usually.

Then 3 days ago I started with Metformin 2000mg with Chromium, L-Tyrosine, Cinnamon and Bitter Melon - now my morning levels are coming down into the 5s, which is great. Diet has remained the same, LCHPF and I'll keep going and see what happens.

I feel livelier today, haven't needed my asthma inhaler as much, have had a general anaesthetic and minor surgery, not lively enough to go for a walk yet, but I did manage a short supermarket trip yesterday so it feels like I'm getting there. :)

((((((((((((((((((((((A BIG BIG HUGE THANK YOU TO THE ADMINS AND MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM :wave: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Superchip said:
6.4 at 8AM. I didn't have any metformin yesterday so I could have a decent drink, red wine, as it plays havoc with the sewage department. So I was a bit surprised the level was quite low ( for me ).

Hope the biopsy goes well GraceK.

Superchip

Thanks Superchip ... I'm on the mend, will have results in a couple of weeks and my morning fasting BG is down to 5.7 today!!!

Doing a hop and a skip here! Hope you enjoyed your wine, (clinks a glass of Indian Tonic w Lime and says 'cheers') :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

cookfield said:

As far as I'm concerned, aside from the members of this forum, my best friend is my meter!!! I don't care what the doctor says, I have been and will continue to test myself every day so that I get to know what foods are OK and what are not OK for me and my BG.

I bought an Accu-Check Meter at Tesco for £10 and then discovered the horrific price of the test strips and lancets later. My God what a disgusting price to charge for life saving equipment!!!

So I've taken the advice of xyzzy and have sent off for an SD Codefree and extra strips from Amazon. Big difference in price - Accu strips are £25 for 50 - SD Codefree are £7 for 50.

Stick with the forum, get yourself a meter, test yourself and look on the forum for food and diet tips. I've learned an awful lot about what works and what doesn't since finding this forum. If I was still following NHS guidelines as far as diet is concerned, my BG would still be high.

Good luck! :wave:

tree-peony

well done Grace - it feels great when you know you're going in the right direction, doesn't it :)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

5.9,very consistent I use the cheaper meter,it's a good price.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

tree-peony said:
well done Grace - it feels great when you know you're going in the right direction, doesn't it :)

Yes it does tree-peony! I got up very late today so breakfast was brunch! You wouldn't believe what I scoffed today - 1 sausage, 4 slices of blackpud (the ring kind), 1 egg, 1tablespoon of Heinz Beans, 1 big mushroom and a huge grilled tomato - followed by strawberries and a peach with a bucketload of single cream. My BG an hour after was down to 5.1. For mid pm snack I had 2 Babybels and 3 Crispbakes with Lurpak.

Onward and upward .... dadadadaaarrraaaaaaaaaah! :lol:

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals

5.9 after a chinese takeaway :oops: My excuse is that we had no gas last night as the gasboard are doing some work on the street and kindly went home without putting the gas back on. Still waiting so may have to go out to get my Sunday brekkie. :lol:
What I don't get is that yesterday my bs was 7 after a home cooked dinner of fish, (no batter),peas and a small portion of chips.
The takeaway last night consisted of prawn toast, prawn dim sum, and kung poa prawns with fried rice. Makes no sense at all. :***:
Conclusion.............. eat more takeaways. :crazy:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Up on yesterdays 5.7 mine was 6.1 this morning after a brunch yesterday of - sausage, egg, beans, black pud, two portions of strawbs and cream and 3 crispbakes with butter and a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt with chia seeds later on. That was it all day.

I've noticed that if I eat after 9pm by BG is higher in the morning.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

6.6, which is fairly typical for me. Had a 4.9 before dinner yesterday, which I was quite pleased with.

A

Anonymous

mines was 10.1 last night( I had been drinking "normal coke") before i went to bed and this morning was 5.4...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

4.8 at 08:00.

Viv 8)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

6.7 this morning and 7.9 two hours after breakfast.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Status
Not open for further replies.