Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Yeah it does suffering with chest cause of hay fever and high pollution around London from the weather:rolleyes::(
Oh no.... my goodness, it's one thing after another... just get your numbers back down and..... :) I read about the toxic pollution in the UK... how terrible - keep your scarf round your face if you go out... or don't go out at all... :)

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Only been across the road to the chemist to pick up prescription. Really tired from wheezing and coughing but at least I am infection free. Hope the pollution dies down before my lung function test on Tuesday morning

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Have not checked in for a while but 5.7 on Thursday and 5.3 this morning. Tried 3 times on Friday but no luck so gave up!
My fingers always bleed best after I've been washing up so maybe a hottish soak in the basin for a few mins?

S

Sable_Jan

I don't know what my readings are any more as my doctor has removed testing strips from my prescription.
Try eBay.....not ideal as some are obvs from folk who ARE getting them prescribed (and not using them) but cheapest way for us folks who WANT to test to buy them

Reactions: 8 people

Merrylizard1314

I do sense a tone of disapproval :) - even if this wasn't meant.

I didn't eat any fruit for 4 months but I am not throwing away the gorgeous mangoes given to me to bring home. Once they are gone, they are gone. I am not trying to reintroduce fruit; this is an exception and one that makes me curious.

I had a very late breakfast today and at 12.30 my BG was 7.2. I then had some mango and then went for a walk and was back after an hour and a half. 2 hours after my mango my BG was 5.8.
Don't know how many mangoes you have, but when we have a glut, we usually cut them up, lay the pieces on a tray in the freezer until frozen, then pack them into small freezer bags. Absolutely delicious, frozen mango slice, at the height of summer!
Doing the same thing with the last crop of giant raspberries at the moment. Fruit is always difficult, isn't it? I always try to eat any in smallish portions in the morning and let walking deal with any spikes. At the moment, on the ND, I am not eating fruit at all, hence the preservation of the raspberries, which have cropped exceptionally heavily this year.
Good luck with working out your carb parameters.

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

I've been warned my test strip script won't be continuing much longer.
Ridiculous.... Spend a bit more on the preventative and control side of things we'll have healthier people and the cost of treating diabetic complications should plummet....

Reactions: 12 people
S

Sable_Jan

I do sense a tone of disapproval :) - even if this wasn't meant.

I didn't eat any fruit for 4 months but I am not throwing away the gorgeous mangoes given to me to bring home. Once they are gone, they are gone. I am not trying to reintroduce fruit; this is an exception and one that makes me curious.

I had a very late breakfast today and at 12.30 my BG was 7.2. I then had some mango and then went for a walk and was back after an hour and a half. 2 hours after my mango my BG was 5.8.
Looked them up and they are fairly low in carbs, Low GI and Low GL...... Despite my previous thoughts to the contrary.... As are grapefruit and oranges (possibly not low enuf if you ultra low carb but I just eat low enuf to keep my meter happy...

S

Sable_Jan

Thank you... I went to the pharmacy today and they recommended taking a medication for breaking down the mucous first... I also have a large syringe for special salt-water for my nose :eek::eek: I am not looking forward to doing it one bit, I have to tell you...it looks vile, but I am assured that it will give long-lasting effects... I wonder how good I will be at it... I shall do it in the shower every day I think... My friend says she was in such terrible pain with infected sinuses that she stupidly took antibiotics, which helped for about a week... when it came back with a vengeance she did the salt thing and she has been clear ever since, without even a headache... I understand that diabetics are prone to sinus infections? I haven't researched it yet - the internet here has been a little erratic... I will look it up at some point ... or is it just low-carbing - we eat a lot of dairy I guess, and it's bad for creating mucous.... I don't when I'm in the UK because I can get all the lovely goat's things and the lactose-free things... :) Maybe that's why I'm suffering now....
Don't like the sound of the saline wash.... Guess a week if antibiotics just wasn't long enough for your friend. U think for anyone a sinus problem is notoriously difficult to treat ... Alas... Fingers crossed they clear soon x

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any disapproval you detected was that you know you hadn't tested adequately, and I felt you wanted somebody to say it was a great score. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'd rather not be disingenuous, as you asked.

Vis a vis this morning; did you recheck your post breakfast? What brought that on? Of course, at 7.2, you could have been falling rapidly, with the exercise then accelerating your digestion to help you cope with the carb. Many people find the can have x, y or z, provided they exercise within an hour or so. @cold ethyl is one such poster. I think she has peddle-pay-back down to a fine art!

It's true, I don't plan a programme of testing every day like some. I have fallen into the habit of doing a morning fasting test for this thread but the rest is basically on a whim. I am most certainly not fishing for compliments. I am actually very frustrated that my weight loss hasn't delivered a breakthrough in my BG levels so far and that I may have to lose another stone. I'm surrounded by people who think I have cancer! It's also frustrating that because of my commitments I can't really make a good go of resuming the diet properly until the middle of the week after next. And there is the emerging fear that even when I have lost all the weight I can safely I will be no better. Fishing for compliments - far from it. On the other hand it is a little comforting that a good walk after eating can do some real good, if only in the short term.

Reactions: 5 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looked them up and they are fairly low in carbs, Low GI and Low GL...... Despite my previous thoughts to the contrary.... As are grapefruit and oranges (possibly not low enuf if you ultra low carb but I just eat low enuf to keep my meter happy...

There is even some debate about mangoes being beneficial in preventing diabetes although that benefit may not extend to those who already have it. Anyway, there is only one left and only one side is earmarked for me and I will be doing enough exercise to compensate for its consumption immediately after!

What really frightens me is recounting my daily carb consumption before I was diagnosed: around 3 cups of coffee with two sugars, a 150ml glass or maybe more of fruit juice, several slices of wholemeal bread, occasionally with jam or honey, a portion of pasta or rice or potatoes, and on most days I'd finish off with 2-3 items of fresh fruit like apples or oranges and maybe a banana. I very rarely had cakes, candy or puddings, or even biscuits (lots of different types of crackers though). Goodness knows how many grams of carbs I averaged and I thought I was on a healthy diet - I was maintaining a steady weight, too, having lost over 10 kilos 5-6 years previously.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know how many mangoes you have, but when we have a glut, we usually cut them up, lay the pieces on a tray in the freezer until frozen, then pack them into small freezer bags. Absolutely delicious, frozen mango slice, at the height of summer!
Doing the same thing with the last crop of giant raspberries at the moment. Fruit is always difficult, isn't it? I always try to eat any in smallish portions in the morning and let walking deal with any spikes. At the moment, on the ND, I am not eating fruit at all, hence the preservation of the raspberries, which have cropped exceptionally heavily this year.
Good luck with working out your carb parameters.

Only the one left and it will be shared by the three of us tomorrow :) Thanks for the freezer tip though!

S

Sable_Jan

There is even some debate about mangoes being beneficial in preventing diabetes although that benefit may not extend to those who already have it. Anyway, there is only one left and only one side is earmarked for me and I will be doing enough exercise to compensate for its consumption immediately after!

What really frightens me is recounting my daily carb consumption before I was diagnosed: around 3 cups of coffee with two sugars, a 150ml glass or maybe more of fruit juice, several slices of wholemeal bread, occasionally with jam or honey, a portion of pasta or rice or potatoes, and on most days I'd finish off with 2-3 items of fresh fruit like apples or oranges and maybe a banana. I very rarely had cakes, candy or puddings, or even biscuits (lots of different types of crackers though). Goodness knows how many grams of carbs I averaged and I thought I was on a healthy diet - I was maintaining a steady weight, too, having lost over 10 kilos 5-6 years previously.
Similar thing for me...had lost stone and a half after getting se scales and realising I was way heavier than I thought. Lots of fruits wholewheat everything bread, rice, pasta etc cut down on the butter, lots of fruit juice and wham...routine bloodiest my fasting was high, HbA1c put me prediabetic.... Is "healthy" eating bad for you....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's true, I don't plan a programme of testing every day like some. I have fallen into the habit of doing a morning fasting test for this thread but the rest is basically on a whim. I am most certainly not fishing for compliments. I am actually very frustrated that my weight loss hasn't delivered a breakthrough in my BG levels so far and that I may have to lose another stone. I'm surrounded by people who think I have cancer! It's also frustrating that because of my commitments I can't really make a good go of resuming the diet properly until the middle of the week after next. And there is the emerging fear that even when I have lost all the weight I can safely I will be no better. Fishing for compliments - far from it. On the other hand it is a little comforting that a good walk after eating can do some real good, if only in the short term.

If you have stopped testing, then it feels to me like you don't really know the impact of your period on the ND. You understand your fasting scores, then a few almost random tests, involving higher carb foods. I appreciate that's being pedantic, but I'm replaying back what you are describing to me.

I might suggest for the period you can't be on the ND, you resume more structured testing. For all you know, you may be pleasantly surprised.

What sort of bloods were you expecting or hoping for? And, finally, do you understand about the "last meal effect" and enzyme lag? These could both be impacting your mango-type experiments.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fingers always bleed best after I've been washing up so maybe a hottish soak in the basin for a few mins?
Tried that! Unfortunately I don't give my blood easily - when I have a blood test they usually end up trying in both arms and then only get enough to fill 2 vials.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have stopped testing, then it feels to me like you don't really know the impact of your period on the ND. You understand your fasting scores, then a few almost random tests, involving higher carb foods. I appreciate that's being pedantic, but I'm replaying back what you are describing to me.

I might suggest for the period you can't be on the ND, you resume more structured testing. For all you know, you may be pleasantly surprised.

What sort of bloods were you expecting or hoping for? And, finally, do you understand about the "last meal effect" and enzyme lag? These could both be impacting your mango-type experiments.

I don't know what you mean by 'stopped' testing - I seem to be doing more testing than ever, but basically I only (and have only ever) consistently tested FBG in the morning, for this forum thread.

I see others getting their fasting numbers down into the 4s consistently (my best FBG using my meter was a 5.0 and my best average was about 5.5 and is currently in the mid-6s) and others demonstrating sufficient insulin sensitivity to be able to consume some carbs and get 2 hour readings with rises well within 2 mmol/l. I can only achieve that by severely limiting carbs; this afternoon a couple of hours after my first walk I went out again for an hour and just before my evening meal I was 5.1. The meal consisted of various types of green vegetables either steamed (curly kale and broccolli) or sautéed in butter (purple cabbage and asparagus), plus a home made grilled cheeseburger (cooked from 150g (raw) 20% fat beef mince with onion and seasoning), no bun or sauce. Afterwards I also had a generous helping of cheese. No wine this evening, just water. If truth be said I did make some chips for my daughter and treated myself to a few of these, but not much really. 2 hours after the meal I tested again and that was 6.2.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'last meal effect' or enzyme lag - maybe I might be familiar under a different label but am always keen to expand my knowledge.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you had a good run and your feet aren't sore.. :) Was the weather terrible?
Hola Susikav
yes lovely thanks - nice gentle jog. Bit breezy and the rain came later. Nice and bright when we got to brighton. Should be dry but windy tomorrow. Feet aok. Off to bed now as early rise in the morning. Speedy solution to the sinus issue. I didn't know we were more prone to it than others but it's not nice anyroad.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday 10th fasting: 6.9
After breakfast: 8.5, before lunch 7.9, then down to 6.3 two hours later. I didn't fee well at all yesterday, and felt really bad about 2am this morning but glucose was fine at 6.2

Today, Sat 11th: fasting: 6.7 then more happily stayed fairly level all day...

Robbity

Status
Not open for further replies.