Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I'm struggling to stop losing weight I tried another experiment yesterday with a piece of fried bread with bacon & eggs etc (Warburton's white - my bread wouldn't have been the same!) 5.4 beforehand, 7.3 at 1hr. 6.1 at 2hrs. I call that a result (unlike the baked beans a few days ago)
I lost another pound this morning, so am glad I have a small leeway.

5.9 at bedtime
5.6 this morning

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An alarming 8.3 this morning. Felt very out of sorts all day yesterday and after a 1 hour walk had to go back to bed. Unheard of for me. Slept for an hour but couldn't maintain enough focus to work for the rest of the day. Almost felt as I did before discovering LCHF. BS during the day were 7.6 on waking, 5.9 before lunch and after walk, 7.6 after lunch of cheese, cherry tomatoes and unsalted peanuts, 6.7 before dinner, 6.78 after dinner, 7.6 at bedtime

No change to diet or exercise except I too made a flax loaf at the weekend and had a few slices. Also made some fat bombs. Both these are new introductions and I have to admit I didn't enjoy either very much.

Diana - I would take my lead from your statement that you have felt out of sorts. Sometimes when we're tracking, with a not yet achieved objective, we can over-think what we see. Between that and your background, personal issues coming to a head, it's very possible that's exactly why your bloods are up.

Cut yourself a bit of slack and keep going on your positive path. Reading your other posts, relating your overall health improvements, i sounds like this is just a little bump in the road. Onward and downwards.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 with the dodgy strips so maybe 6.1. My fasting one is the highest I see all day often, and is the one most affected by my stress as I invariably have a panic attack during the night of some sort. Going to have a taking it slow day today - Diana don't underestimate how much stress can affect your BS levels. All that adrenalin and other stress hormones sloshing round has to be matched by more glucose in bloodstream. Our pour bodies font know it's just an annoying bit of paperwork or a stupid nuisance phone call and not a sabre tooth tiger in the undergrowth. Oh and I'm with you on flaxseed bread. Not very nice is it?

Reactions: 2 people

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Ive been trying to keep a regular account but I cant, i always seem to forget to do it. But this morning before breakfast i was 17.0
2 hrs after breakfast i was 24.3 - with ketones flashing on my meter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been trying to keep a regular account but I cant, i always seem to forget to do it. But this morning before breakfast i was 17.0
2 hrs after breakfast i was 24.3 - with ketones flashing on my meter.

How are you feeling? Those levels are too high, as I'm sure you know. Is that normal at the moment? If you feel ill maybe you should ring the docs. What sort of diet are you following, and can we help you at all?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diana - I would take my lead from your statement that you have felt out of sorts. Sometimes when we're tracking, with a not yet achieved objective, we can over-think what we see. Between that and your background, personal issues coming to a head, it's very possible that's exactly why your bloods are up.

Cut yourself a bit of slack and keep going on your positive path. Reading your other posts, relating your overall health improvements, i sounds like this is just a little bump in the road. Onward and downwards.

Wise words as always. Thank you

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.6 again this morning
Feeling low as i have got 4's and 5's a few times but they are most of the times after meal
I slept at 6.1
Getting 7.6 everyday now when i wake up
I know its not good its still high but I feel even more disheartened to see everyone with 5's or 4's
I am not eating anything out of sorts but i dont know if its ever gonna come down
I start my day at 7.5 7.6 and then after breakfast goes to between 5 and 5.5 remains there all day and drops to 4.5 just before my dinner
after dinner it goes to about 5.5 to 6
but again i wake up to 7.5 7.6
Only thing i can think of is I have a very stressful job and really bad day today again since morning.

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
How are you feeling? Those levels are too high, as I'm sure you know. Is that normal at the moment? If you feel ill maybe you should ring the docs. What sort of diet are you following, and can we help you at all?
I wish someone would help, just I just dont have a clue where to start or how. When i cut down or cut out carbs i feel nauseus with hunger, I am 16.5 stone, but only 5ft. Im on metformin. I feel on my own.

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Im also on a load of other meds anti-psychotics, thyroid, blood pressure, depression

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
I wish someone would help, just I just dont have a clue where to start or how. When i cut down or cut out carbs i feel nauseus with hunger, I am 16.5 stone, but only 5ft. Im on metformin. I feel on my own.
Sometimes I feel exhausted and go to bed during the day, my statin meds cramp my muscles and prevent me from exercising, im not a good runner, swimming bores me in pool, breathless, cant do sit ups. Got a exercise bike but no space in flat to pull it out. Ive always hated exercise, dont like sweating feeling. Have sciatica in hips. Im a waste of space!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @dootsie

There is no need to feel alone here. You will get some excellent advice from the long-standing members who can share the benefit of their experience and proven methods of low-carbing.

I have cut down on carbs and have never had a moment of hunger but I believe that is because I've replaced the carbs with fat ie cheese, meats, fish, and cream in coffee or on berries and in cooking. To avoid mid-morning hunger pangs I have a cup of coffee with cream and it works.

Can you fill up on lots of leafy vegetables and salads along with cheese, eggs, fish and meat? Berries with cream, or sugar free jelly with cream are good too and unsweeteneed Greek yoghurt with berries or chopped nuts.

I'm sorry you have lost your sister to diabetes. That must be an awful shock and dreadful to have hanging over you, but it doesn't mean history has to repeat itself. By finding this site, you have the chance to turn things around.

Look out for the replies from experienced low-carbers with proven track records. They will inspire and encourage you as they have done me.

Good luck and don't despair. You can take control and have taken the first steps

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
6.0 at 6 am this morning, OK but 'at the top end of my range' as we like to say on here. Less than 6 hours sleep though and a stressful work week ahead.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @dootsie, some do experience cravings when starting to reduce carbs, some don't. But it should be only temporary as your body gets used to the new regime. Carbs are addictive. Maybe try reducing carbs slowly (but systematically) and as Diana suggests have some more fats to stave off the hunger.

Reactions: 5 people

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Hi @dootsie

There is no need to feel alone here. You will get some excellent advice from the long-standing members who can share the benefit of their experience and proven methods of low-carbing.

I have cut down on carbs and have never had a moment of hunger but I believe that is because I've replaced the carbs with fat ie cheese, meats, fish, and cream in coffee or on berries and in cooking. To avoid mid-morning hunger pangs I have a cup of coffee with cream and it works.

Can you fill up on lots of leafy vegetables and salads along with cheese, eggs, fish and meat? Berries with cream, or sugar free jelly with cream are good too and unsweeteneed Greek yoghurt with berries or chopped nuts.

I'm sorry you have lost your sister to diabetes. That must be an awful shock and dreadful to have hanging over you, but it doesn't mean history has to repeat itself. By finding this site, you have the chance to turn things around.

Look out for the replies from experienced low-carbers with proven track records. They will inspire and encourage you as they have done me.

Good luck and don't despair. You can take control and have taken the first steps

Am I allowed to have cream, cheese, eggs etc when I have high cholesterol?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Many of us find our cholesterol levels reduce when we eat real dairy fat rather than low fat products, although it may not be wise to overdo things. Just enough and in moderation.

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't know your history and it wouldn't be wise for me to advise you, I can only tell you my personal experience which is that since reducing my carb intake but increasing my fat intake, I've reduced my cholesterol from 5.3 in April to 4.6 in August and have been taken off statins after being on them for 4 years.

My general health has returned as have my energy levels, plus I've lost a stone in weight, gradually. Plus I once again enjoy food shopping and meal preparation. The only significant change I've made is to convert to LCHF. These improvements can't be attributed to anything else.

Reactions: 4 people

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
My partner is a chef, but he doesnt cook like us brits - he's muslim so no jelly or pork allowed in house.
He never does bowls of boiled veggies, always a handful in a dish, and most of the time laced with potato, even the salads. Ive tried to tell him.

He does try keep the fats down, he gives me salads, but in other ways its not working. Its rice and a spice based dishes as well as fish, but fish can be deep fried coated with batter or breadcrumbs. What do i do. He spends most of the time in the kitchen (small) so i cant even cook my own meal.

i shouldnt complain having a chef around, but it is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.