1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 3c And Alcohol

Discussion in 'Type 3c (Pancreatic) Diabetes' started by The_Petal, Sep 7, 2018.

1. The_Petal

The_Petal Type 1 · Member

I seem to hear contradictory messages about alcohol.

From the point of view of the diabetes it would seem that having a drink is not a problem as regards to my blood sugar, however I have heard that people without a pancreas should avoid alcohol because of digestive issues. Which is true.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @The_Petal

I don’t have a definitive answer for you. My consultant told me not to drink alcohol to protect what’s left of my pancreas as it could bring on another acute pancreatitis attack (and the last one almost killed me).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I thought that 3cs had issues with glucagon production (by the pancreas), which means you lose the liver back up glycogen for low blood sugars. The biggest reason for caution in alcohol consumption for T1s is that it inhibits the liver's production of glycogen, so you're at much greater risk of dying of a hypo in the night if you've been drinking. I guess this isn't a valid reason for 3cs because you're already not getting hypo help from your liver???
    Very happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong. :)

5. Phil007007

Phil007007 Type 3c · Member

You should not drink alcohol but if you do red wine is better than beer, I have type3c because my pancreas has atrophied.

6. The_Petal

The_Petal Type 1 · Member

Just had me 10th, of 12, session of Folfirinox postponed because my neutrophiles are too low.

Annoying as I feel really good.

As my iron levels had been low I having been having a small Guinness at night ~ could that be dragging the neutophiles down?
    It's always confusing because the dietitian/diabetic nurse/Oncologist all seem to see the problem from slightly different perspectives and offer sometimes contradictory advice.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook