Type 3c - how many are we?

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I was diagnosed as type 2 and seem still to be although I take creon as I have EPI and can't digest fats. Could not control high sugars with medications, although carried on with this over 10 years. Gradually things got worse. Couldn't tolerate metaformin so eventually referred to diabetes team who have put me on Humulin insulin. My blood sugars have improved. I guess I am 3C because my pancreas is impaired but never had peptide test to see how much insulin I produce. I know I still do as never had a hypo (yet) but don't qualify for a libre monitor etc although I finger pick 3x plus daily. May need to inject twice a day soon apparently as although improved GP wants me to be lower than HBA1C 61. I was quite pleased with this, as was diabetes team!
I am confused with it all.
I also want to travel away for 85 days. So much medication to take, I just don't want more!!
Thanks for listening. Any suggestions gratefully received. It ain't easy!

Kaydee59

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I was diagnosed as type 2 and seem still to be although I take creon as I have EPI and can't digest fats. Could not control high sugars with medications, although carried on with this over 10 years. Gradually things got worse. Couldn't tolerate metaformin so eventually referred to diabetes team who have put me on Humulin insulin. My blood sugars have improved. I guess I am 3C because my pancreas is impaired but never had peptide test to see how much insulin I produce. I know I still do as never had a hypo (yet) but don't qualify for a libre monitor etc although I finger pick 3x plus daily. May need to inject twice a day soon apparently as although improved GP wants me to be lower than HBA1C 61. I was quite pleased with this, as was diabetes team!
I am confused with it all.
I also want to travel away for 85 days. So much medication to take, I just don't want more!!
Thanks for listening. Any suggestions gratefully received. It ain't easy!
I was diagnosed 12 years ago as a Type 2 diabetic. Then in 2020, they discovered I had 2 neuroendocrine tumours in my pancreas which had slowly been killing off my pancreas over the last 12 years. I had most of my pancreas and spleen removed and am classified as Type 3C diabetic now. I too have loads of medication to take - 7 in the morning and 6 at night. I also take 3 creon with meals and 2 other tablets at meals for malabsorption. I have long acting insulin and rapid acting insulin with meals. I have been following a keto diet for around 5 months and lost 24kg in that time. As I am having very little in the way of carbs - I am not having to inject insulin with my meals (I do if I am having a carb high meal though.). My HBA1Cis in normal range now too. I do have a Freestyle Libre 2. I believe all diabetics should now be able to get one - maybe push it with your GP. GOOD luck

KMaison

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a full pancreatectomy in October last year. Have found it really hard finding specific information about type 3c as everything is focused on type 1 and 2. I have been insulin dependent since having severe pancreatitis back in 2015 (cause unknown) when I first did a lot of damage to my pancreas. Would be keen to hear from others in a similar situation.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77 and filly

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a full pancreatectomy in October last year. Have found it really hard finding specific information about type 3c as everything is focused on type 1 and 2. I have been insulin dependent since having severe pancreatitis back in 2015 (cause unknown) when I first did a lot of damage to my pancreas. Would be keen to hear from others in a similar situation.
Hi there. I had a full pancreatectomy + spleen removed in April last year. The hardest thing now is trying to keep my blood glucose on track.

leon 1

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with t3c and still the hospital are adjusting my insulin as I speak my numbers are all over the place