type diagnosis

aard

A lot of the posts talk about having their type diagnosed, but that never happened to me when i was diagnosed last year.
They just gave me the advice for a type 2 without ever saying it was type 2.
The reason for me being diagnosed was failing the hb1ac test twice.

Do you have to have certain conditions for them to test the type?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of the posts talk about having their type diagnosed, but that never happened to me when i was diagnosed last year.

If you were T1 or a derivative thereof then surviving a year without insulin whilst possible is unlikely.
You could have had a C_Peptide test to see how much endogenous insulin you are producing but without some more likely symptoms that's unlikely.
So if you had consistently high blood sugars that didn't respond to dietary changes and maybe had lost a lot of weight without trying you may have got extra tests.
What were your HbA1c levels that got you diagnosed?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that if you are 'old' and/or overweight there is an assumption that you are type 2.

I'm in my 50s and low carb has brought my readings down so I'm pretty confident that I'm type 2.

I think if you are young and not overweight the doctors probably test more. I agree with @bulkbiker that if you have consistently high blood sugar levels while doing low carb you may want to ask for more tests. But if not very low carb then I would try that first. I do less than 20 grams a day. I do find that some artificial sweeteners raise my blood sugar levels but I consider that a side effect. If I didn't have those and had high readings on less than 20 grams of carbs a day I may want more tests.

Good luck,

aard

I think that if you are 'old' and/or overweight there is an assumption that you are type 2.

I'm in my 50s and low carb has brought my readings down so I'm pretty confident that I'm type 2.

I think if you are young and not overweight the doctors probably test more. I agree with @bulkbiker that if you have consistently high blood sugar levels while doing low carb you may want to ask for more tests. But if not very low carb then I would try that first. I do less than 20 grams a day. I do find that some artificial sweeteners raise my blood sugar levels but I consider that a side effect. If I didn't have those and had high readings on less than 20 grams of carbs a day I may want more tests.

Good luck,

Agree, im fifty and overweight and so i bet they assume type 2.

To be fair i probably am type 2.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The tests are expensive, so usually they just guess based on weight, age etc... I was told I'm a T2, then because I responded badly to Metformin the nurse thought it may be T1, (Not like it's a common side effect or anything. Oh wait, it WAS! Weird that they didn't test when I brought up having lost about 5 to 10 kilo's without trying, as that should have actually raised a T1 flag.), so then I was checked for T1... But nope, T2 here. So basically, me getting those tests was a fluke. They're not a matter of course, only when there's doubts...