type II indian vagitarian diet

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. heard good things about Chaana Dahl. Supposedley it very low on the Glycemic Index.

Link PM'd.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Nemaste - Satt sri akaal - Hi

I live in Southall, & have many Indian friends, some of whom are diabetic.

My diet is low carb & although I am not vegetarian, some of my friends are. By observation, an Indian vegetarian diet is not suitable for a diabetic, but don't despair (yet)

Do you eat cheese? If you do - eat plenty.

I have had serious problems with a slightly raised HbA1c of 6.7 - muscle pains were crippling me. I cut the carbs & reduced my blood glucose, weight, cholesterol, tiredness ...

I don't know the state of your diabetes. Can you tell us your HbA1c, fasting blood glucose, cholesterol & weight? Are you vegan or lacto-vegetarian?

My friends no longer offer me - rice, vegetarian samosas, chapattis, rotis, aaloo etc. They cook with me in mind, & offer - dahl, salad, vegetable curry with paneer, etc

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Had to break off to make a minute-muffin-mix for my dinner. That needs eggs - I haven't found how to make it egg-free. If you can eat eggs, its a good basis for a lot of roti alternatives.

I use a lot of nuts, & ground almonds instead of flour. If I need flour, I use soya flour which is low carb. Would ground almond & soya rotis work?

You can use spices freely without affecting blood glucose. My friends use a lot of salt. That is NOT recommended.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Jasmilu
I would advise getting a reference book, such as the Collins Little Gem carb counter. It's cheap and easily available. Otherwise, you can use on-line resources.
. If you are wanting to control your carbohydrates, it is probably easier to make your own food from scratch, especially with Indian cuisine, where you know exactly what you are putting in and can substitute if necessary.Foods like rice and flabreads can be a problem.
You really need an expert in indian cuisine. Try googling for the type of foods you want. You haven't said if you want low carb or low GI/GL
Hana

Jasmilu

weight 60Kg BMI 30
no problem in the past
just last month HbA 7.1 Fasting bl sugar 7.1
can eat meat or fish but don't like it
eat loads of salad no fizzy drinks drink 2.5ltr water daily. no tea/coffee as can't stand it.
had soft spot for coke but not had it for 2 months
no chocolates for 4 yrs stoped for no reason
like home cooking

Dobbs

Re: type II indian vegitarian diet

hi Jasmilu
I love Indian food, eat it whenever I can and try to make it also. It is difficult though, as being a type 2 I choose to go without rice, bread and potatoes!
I do make both vegetable and meat curries and they don't seem to be a problem for me - all types of pickles are OK and I can generally eat a couple of poppadoms. And drink a couple of bottles of Indian beer. Because of the lack of bread, "dry" dishes are more practical than "wet" ones.
But I see your HB1Ac is still a bit high - what sort of medication (if any) are you on?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This part of the diabetes India website has a lot of recipes with nutritional counts.
http://www.diabetesindia.com/diabetes/recipes/recipes_list_rajasthan.htm

It also has a section with suggested vegetarian diets using traditional Indian foods. It is a very diferent diet to that used by most type 2s on this board being a very high carbohydrate diet, (the diets used by members vary with some eating moderate amounts of lower glycemic carbs, others restrict their carb intake to very few). I think it is inevitably high since it includes very little from non plant sources ( small amouts of dairy only) and includes locally available foods..
It is based on an exchange system that used to be used in the UK and US and is very specific on amounts.It suggests calorie levels for weight loss.
As with any diet if you attempted to follow this It would be very important to monitor the results of meals (as indeed on any diet) using a blood glucose monitor.
You may find that some pulses (ie chana dahl as mentioned by Patch) that are much gentler on your blood glucose levels than others, sadly you may also find other things that send your levels very high.

There is also a ' diabetes diet book called 'Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes (I don't like the name). This is based on a vegan diet (though Western I would imagine.) There are several positive reviews of it on Amazon reviews, one written by a member of this forum who did very well on it when first diagnosed with diabetes. (he has changed his diet somewhat since then but may be able to tell you more about it)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reverse-Dia...1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1271169276&sr=1-3-fkmr2