Type of diabetics

NANNIELAILEY

I was type 2 with tablets medication I am now only taking metromin but am also have to inject insulin at night as could not prescribe me any more medication with tablets am I still type 2 or have I changed to type1

A

Anonymous

Hello,

It's pretty quiet here at this time of day - but I'll reply until someone more knowledgeable turns up.

If you were diagnosed as type 2 then that's probably what you are. Many type 2's end up on insulin though it's not inevitable (like me :D ) - Type 1 is a different condition/diagnosis and they have to use insulin. There are also some intermediate types (like type 1.5) who have features from both. As I said, there are more knowledgeable folks on here.

I assume that it's a long acting insulin that they've put you on to bring your general levels down - are you testing or do you know what your numbers are at the moment?

S

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm slightly surprised that your GP didn't add 2nd and 3rd level tablets as a treatment option rather than go straight to insulin but ideas on this vary. NICE guidelines suggest going to a 2nd level tablet first such as Gliclazide, Sitagliptin etc. Perhaps you were already on several tablets as you don't mention what the meds were. If you are not overweight, young'ish etc then you may well be a type 1.5 (LADA) and not a true Type 2. Professionals will tell you that a Type 2 can never change to a Type 1 but that assumes a Type 2 with insulin resistance. In the very long term and without low-carbing etc a Type 2 can end up with very few islet cells, need insulin and be indistiguishable from a Type 1 i.e. the types coalesce. For info around 80% of T2s are insulin resistant , overweight etc. 20% don't fit the model, are not overweight and are most likely late developing t1s or other genetic or metabolic variants. Diabetes is not the simple T1 or T2 model that HCPs would have us believe.

MYY

I am a type 1.

My question is what is the best time to take your insulin injections for best results?

Just before or after a meal.