Type one support

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I was diagnosed about two and a half years ago firstly medicated with metformin then after my sugar levels went through the roof for weeks on end not being able to see drinking constantly and a trip to hospital after being in a coma,I was then placed on insulin as well as the metformin.im currently on humalog,mix 25 and metformin,I've received no education as regards to raising or lowering my insulin or even about diet has anyone else found themselves in the same position?
Hi Death Walker, the lack of information/education you speak of is not only bad, it is downright dangerous! I suggest you make an urgent appointment with your GP (or a practice diabetes nurse) and insist that they support you properly. I think you are entitled to see a dietitian (thought they are not always much help) and diabetes nurses are usually pretty good too. Ask them if they can get you on a course. I did the DAFNE course some years ago (I am type 1) and it made a huge difference, though I still have far too many high sugars...

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
@ Mel 18 Hi Mel, you really are not alone in this. I'm 62 and have been type 1 for over 30 years, but I still get very frustrated and despair over it at times. I spend hours calculating and it still goes wrong (mostly too high). My partner tries very hard but he can't really understand how it feels and sometimes doesn't cope well. I think Diabetes UK have information and even weekends for relatives. Your family might find that helpful. Don't worry, you will find ways of dealing with it all - most of the time. The main thing is to contact people who can help and you've done that by going on this forum. Good luck!

SteveT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mel ... I was diagnosed 26 years ago when I was 14 no one around me knew what I was going through & still don't know because I keep it all bottled up inside. Talk to people & let them know how you are feeling (don't do what I do)

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mel18

You have done the right thing by joining the forum. I'm 35 diagnosed 6months. Whenever feeling cross angry or down I have a read through the posts on here it's a good boost :)

leedoak

Hi Mel18,

I got told I was T1 in April I'm 37 in the army, married with two children. My life was turned upside down as T1 in the army is not good. So I'm trekking the Sahara desert in Nov so anything is possible stay strong stay positive and if you get down, you get down. People don't need to have T1 to feel down your only human. As BT say it's good to talk.