Type one support

Mel18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Mel, I'm 18 years old and I was diagnosed with type one last October and it took me completely by surprise and has shocked me to say the least. Over the last eight months I have managed to control my diabetes quite well, my levels have been quite good and the hospital were impressed with me yet that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. Although my family and friends are supportive, I feel like no one understands me and since my diagnosis I have been feeling more and more isolated. Sometimes I feel like a burden and I often get emotional over my diabetes. What I really want is someone to talk to who understands what I'm going through! So if anyone is willing to talk, I would be very grateful :)

Reactions: 8 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you are at the right place then Mel, Diabetes is not a good shock to say the least. A burdon NO, a worry to your familyt YES and rightfully so, if you have the condition under control that is marvellous at being diagnosed so recently. Any concerns feel free to ask and one of us will reply as soon as we read it, just remember today with the meds are available you can almost lead a normal life.

I hope this helps you

Reactions: 8 people

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Mel! I am here to talk too! diabetes can take its toll on you emotionally and here is a good platform to talk about your issues

Reactions: 6 people

Kavyaparmar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mel,

I'm 21 and know exactly how you feel after work I lock myself away in my room and don't bother to talk to my family, I often feel like no ones truly knows the extent of what I feel. But talking to people on these forums have helped me so much.

Give me a shout and I'm sure we can find more relatable things other than diabetes to gossip about

X

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm Mel, I'm 18 years old as diagnosed with type one last October and it took me completely by surprise and has shocked me to say the least. Over the last eight months I have managed to control my diabetes quite well, my levels have been quite good and the hospital were impressed with me yet that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. Although my family and friends are supportive, I feel like no one understands me and since my diagnosis I have been feeling more and more isolated. Sometimes I feel like a burden and I often get emotional over my diabetes. What I really want is someone to talk to who understands what I'm going through! So if anyone is willing to talk, I would be very grateful :)
Where do you live Mel? We regularly meet in London.next on on 26th of September :)

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome. Many young people feel the way you do, but don't let it take over your life or burden you.
There are some members in your age group and some newly diagnosed too, the forum is a good place for helpful advice and lots of support. Another thing is to tell your friends and family how you really feel, how it is affecting you, just let it out and always try to remember that we rule diabetes, it doesn't rule us
Don't be afraid to ask questions or you just want to have a moan, we are here for each other.

Best wishes RRB x :)

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Mel :)

You've come to the right place for help and support, as RRB says we are all here to help one-another so your never alone.

Reactions: 5 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What you are feeling is absolutely natural, it is quite an isolating condition to live with and at times it can feel overwhelming, however it's finding your own rhythm and what works best for you that help you manage it without it managing you, as said above, don't worry you are certainly not alone here, come and voice your feelings - a problem shared a problem halved. There is alot of knowledge in this forum and knowledge is power, it will help you cope better and worry less ;)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mel18...you've made a great first step in the right direction...the is no end of support and advice on this forum from people who can absolutely relate to how you are feeling. I think it can be tough for friends and family to be supportive...as far as they can see...you have good control of your diabetes so naturally assume that you are ok. However the emotional side of it is not as easy to control and this is not something a non-diabetic even with the best of intentions can probably relate to in quite the same way as another diabetic. That said...please don't isolate yourself away from everyone...it's important to talk about your feelings and I'm quite sure your friends and family will want to help...but you need to tell them how you are feeling so that they can support you.

Keep your chin up...it will get easier I promise

Reactions: 10 people

Mel18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mel18...you've made a great first step in the right direction...the is no end of support and advice on this forum from people who can absolutely relate to how you are feeling. I think it can be tough for friends and family to be supportive...as far as they can see...you have good control of your diabetes so naturally assume that you are ok. However the emotional side of it is not as easy to control and this is not something a non-diabetic even with the best of intentions can probably relate to in quite the same way as another diabetic. That said...please don't isolate yourself away from everyone...it's important to talk about your feelings and I'm quite sure your friends and family will want to help...but you need to tell them how you are feeling so that they can support you.

Keep your chin up...it will get easier I promise

Thank you! Everything you said makes so much sense to me, it makes me so much happier to know other people understand and care :)

Bethanee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Mel, I'm 18 years old and I was diagnosed with type one last October and it took me completely by surprise and has shocked me to say the least. Over the last eight months I have managed to control my diabetes quite well, my levels have been quite good and the hospital were impressed with me yet that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. Although my family and friends are supportive, I feel like no one understands me and since my diagnosis I have been feeling more and more isolated. Sometimes I feel like a burden and I often get emotional over my diabetes. What I really want is someone to talk to who understands what I'm going through! So if anyone is willing to talk, I would be very grateful :)

Hi Mel :)

I'm Beth, I'm 19, and I was diagnosed when I was 12. Nobody that I know of in my entire family history had type 1 diabetes. So I understand the lonely feeling. As much as people care and try hard to understand, they can't, because they're just not experiencing it. They can see it, but they will never feel what you feel. I had rough patches when I was younger, but although my control isn't perfect now, it's pretty good, and I'm happy. I very rarely feel lonely anymore. If you ever want to chat about anything I'm literally the chattiest person on earth, and I love pen pals haha. So feel free :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mel , I'm Always up for a chat and trust me I was diagnosed when I was 9 years old I'm now 19 and u will get idiots who don't have a clue what they are talking about as they don't have diabetes but if u ever feel down go on YouTube and type in "stupid thing people say to diabetics" it makes me laugh every time. In my family I was the first to get type 1 diabetes and I've got a number of other medical problems which I have to live with and get on with life but my sister is also type 1 a year after me and we get annoyed at people, like you say some who don't understand what we go through each day and even DR who say "you blood is starting to rise y is that?" And it's because I'm still hungry after lunch say 2pm and the sugar from lunch is already in my body but the insulin can't work as fast so of course my blood will be higher than normal but my chin is always up Mel and so is my sisters. Ps are u on pump like me or pens ?

Reactions: 2 people

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mel, I'm Rachel, diagnosed at 2 years old and 21 now so had this most of my life!

I totally get where you're coming from, I've been feeling similar over the past year or so, and especially when people just don't seem to get how difficult/annoying it can me ('but why do you have to stop for food right now, we'll be home in under an hour', and my fave from a family trip to the usa: 'why are you so all over the place? I mean I know they don't tell you the carb contents in restaurants but don't you know it for everything now?' like yes I just carry the world carbohydrate encyclopedia around in my head)...it is really isolating! And people have no idea of the hours that go into managing it, or how ****** you feel when you're low/high/whatever and still have to go to work/uni/college and try and not act like a crazy person :p or even just how frustrating it is to be dependent on a pump/syringe just to survive, especially if you've had some of your life without it.

We're all here for you, message me or anyone else, sure anyone would be happy to help/listen/distract, or even meet up :) hope things start to get easier for you!

Rachel x

Reactions: 5 people

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm 19 and I've been diagnosed for around a year. There's times where I just want to shut myself off from everyone else. I get really down about having type 1 diabetes and to not feel silly in front of people I completely push people away. Although most people are there to support me, being such a young age I think it's hard to actually come to terms that me having type 1 diabetes is here to stay. A lot of people tell me that you shouldn't let diabetes control you, you need to control the diabetes and I do say to them that it's easier said then done. I hope things are a little easier for you, here anytime x

KowsarI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, i've been diagnosed 7 years ago now and still struggling to cope. Am not really a person to talk about my feelings. And the fact that no one my age has diabetes makes it harder to talk to others about it, as others have said it feels like people wouldn't understand. However what i realised is talking about diabetes, whether am complaining or not makes me feel better. It is tiring and when i found this site it did encourage me to embrace(if thats the word) my diabetes. Just waiting for my next hba1c!! The posts here are great and makes me feel at ease with my diabetes, hopefully its helping others too. Btw am writing this whilst recovering from a hypo because i just needed to rant out my frustartion

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Mel18 and welcome! I hope you are feeling better within yourself over the past few weeks. It's difficult when you don't know anyone else with diabetes personally or you feel your suffering in silence. But, don't worry we are here to listen and help you along the way, ask as many questions as you want. Always try and visit this forum because you can learn so much from reading other people's experiences :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Mel . My name is John . I'm 25 and I have been recently diagnosed with diabetes type 1 as well. I was too very much shocked and I can understand ur situation. All the advice I can give you is jus to try be positive as much as you can . Talk to as much people as you can . Sometimes jus talkin even its abou your troubles. It can really help just to get it off your chest I find . I hope u find your way . Remember you will b fine . Keep positive

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mel! I'm an 18 year-old type one diabetic too, and I totally understand what you mean. I also would love to talk to someone who knows what I'm going through, so please get in touch if you want

Death walker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed about two and a half years ago firstly medicated with metformin then after my sugar levels went through the roof for weeks on end not being able to see drinking constantly and a trip to hospital after being in a coma,I was then placed on insulin as well as the metformin.im currently on humalog,mix 25 and metformin,I've received no education as regards to raising or lowering my insulin or even about diet has anyone else found themselves in the same position?