Type two and cycling

KurvZ

I used to be a keen cyclist 4 years ago and I lost a lot of weight thanks to it and a change of diet , but then I had a series of bad luck events and went off the rails ..

I ended up putting on all the weight and gave up my Cycling and eventually found out a month ago I'm Type II

Well I'm back on the Bike and have started riding early Saturday mornings , and as I'm losing weight and becoming more active , I'm going to increase my mileage on the bike .. I was good for 20 miles this Saturday and felt OK with it ..

Before going out I doubled my Shreddies and took a Banana with me , which I ate half and seemed fine with that , but now I'm getting ready to up the pace should I gently increase my Mileage or just go with what feels ok with my body ??

I still haven't got any Glucose Tablets yet do I get them from the Chemist what are they called ..

because I have had two lowish BG readings 3.9 and 3.8 and had no symptons at all I'm wondering would I get a warning before a hypo or will it happen really quick ?

ah well thanks for any input Dave

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hello Dave i also am a type 2 I can't speak about anyone but myself i actually had been diabetic for a long time before diagnosis .However when i was diagnosed it made me realise i had had all the tell tale signs and never realised .It would be a good thing to use a meter especially when your training on your bike .Good luck mate :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Dave

Dextrose tablets. I get mine from the chemist, but other shops may have them. Someone warned us off the orange ones (horrible tasting, apparently); I have lemon and ordinary.

My BGs don't often go under 4, and I have never had hypo symptoms during the day, but being advised that '4 is the floor' I treated myself with a couple of dextrose tabs, tested again after 15 mins to see if the reading was up again (it was) and then ate a biscuit. The levels stayed up.

I would say it's important to test regularly while you're cycling bcause exercise can make your readings go up as well as down - or so I'm told! :wink:

Well done on your improvement!

Viv 8)

KurvZ

Thanks guys , yeah I'm going to ask my wife to get me some today as I will never remember , I shall avoid the orange ones ..
I'm really looking forward to my Saturday rides as I take my Compact Camera with and have got some great shots so far , being a keen Photographer both Hobbies will fit well together ..

Dave

KurvZ

Well just an update , today was my 4th cycle ride and by far the hardest , I met up with 3 riders from my old Cycle Club , they are all fit as can be , and there was me lol ..

I didn't manage to keep up the pace , but one always waited for me if I dropped back , but after riding 8 miles to get to the forest , then doing 10 miles of proper off road I was shatter and had to make my way home after we stopped for a Cuppa :p..

But I'm glad to say my BG isn't dropping much , although I know I'm exercising I almost double my Breakfast and eat Half a Large Banana , now I'm increasing my mileage slowly from 16-20-22 and today 26 I'm hoping this will aid me with my food needs .. ( that I can control depending on the amount of exercise I'm doing

More good news I have now officially lost 3 stone since the beginning of March , so I guess things will start to slow down , I'm still feeling great Medication giving me no Side effects as such , I'm now looking forward to dropping below 100KG and then I will treat myself to a new Bike maybe ..

Also would like to take the time to thank all whom have helped me out since I joined this forum things are becoming more clearer every week , so thanks you're a great bunch , Dave

Reactions: Rockman

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'll race you to dropping under 100kg! I'm fearing a bad week this week but was 101.7 last week. Good to have them milestones to aim for keep at it!