1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type two and cycling

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by KurvZ, Apr 12, 2011.

1. KurvZ

KurvZ · Well-Known Member

I used to be a keen cyclist 4 years ago and I lost a lot of weight thanks to it and a change of diet , but then I had a series of bad luck events and went off the rails ..

I ended up putting on all the weight and gave up my Cycling and eventually found out a month ago I'm Type II

Well I'm back on the Bike and have started riding early Saturday mornings , and as I'm losing weight and becoming more active , I'm going to increase my mileage on the bike .. I was good for 20 miles this Saturday and felt OK with it ..

Before going out I doubled my Shreddies and took a Banana with me , which I ate half and seemed fine with that , but now I'm getting ready to up the pace should I gently increase my Mileage or just go with what feels ok with my body ??

I still haven't got any Glucose Tablets yet do I get them from the Chemist what are they called ..

because I have had two lowish BG readings 3.9 and 3.8 and had no symptons at all I'm wondering would I get a warning before a hypo or will it happen really quick ?

ah well thanks for any input Dave

2. JUSTFOCUS

JUSTFOCUS · Well-Known Member

Hello Dave i also am a type 2 I can't speak about anyone but myself i actually had been diabetic for a long time before diagnosis .However when i was diagnosed it made me realise i had had all the tell tale signs and never realised .It would be a good thing to use a meter especially when your training on your bike .Good luck mate :)

3. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Dave

Dextrose tablets. I get mine from the chemist, but other shops may have them. Someone warned us off the orange ones (horrible tasting, apparently); I have lemon and ordinary.

My BGs don't often go under 4, and I have never had hypo symptoms during the day, but being advised that '4 is the floor' I treated myself with a couple of dextrose tabs, tested again after 15 mins to see if the reading was up again (it was) and then ate a biscuit. The levels stayed up.

I would say it's important to test regularly while you're cycling bcause exercise can make your readings go up as well as down - or so I'm told! :wink:

Well done on your improvement!

Viv 8)

4. KurvZ

Thanks guys , yeah I'm going to ask my wife to get me some today as I will never remember , I shall avoid the orange ones ..
    I'm really looking forward to my Saturday rides as I take my Compact Camera with and have got some great shots so far , being a keen Photographer both Hobbies will fit well together ..

[​IMG]

Dave

5. KurvZ

Well just an update , today was my 4th cycle ride and by far the hardest , I met up with 3 riders from my old Cycle Club , they are all fit as can be , and there was me lol ..

I didn't manage to keep up the pace , but one always waited for me if I dropped back , but after riding 8 miles to get to the forest , then doing 10 miles of proper off road I was shatter and had to make my way home after we stopped for a Cuppa :p..

But I'm glad to say my BG isn't dropping much , although I know I'm exercising I almost double my Breakfast and eat Half a Large Banana , now I'm increasing my mileage slowly from 16-20-22 and today 26 I'm hoping this will aid me with my food needs .. ( that I can control depending on the amount of exercise I'm doing

More good news I have now officially lost 3 stone since the beginning of March , so I guess things will start to slow down , I'm still feeling great Medication giving me no Side effects as such , I'm now looking forward to dropping below 100KG and then I will treat myself to a new Bike maybe ..

Also would like to take the time to thank all whom have helped me out since I joined this forum things are becoming more clearer every week , so thanks you're a great bunch , Dave

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gappy

Gappy · Well-Known Member

I'll race you to dropping under 100kg! I'm fearing a bad week this week but was 101.7 last week. Good to have them milestones to aim for keep at it!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook