Type what?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
To say I'm now somewhat confused is an understatement. Here's the history:

1) diagnosed 2003 as type one, mainly because ketones were off the scale
2) late 2003 I stopped using insulin, diagnosis then became type two
3) early 2004 started needing insulin again, various tablets tried, all made no difference
4) changed hospitals, New consultant did barrage of tests
GAD antibodies present
C pep very low
Diagnosis type LADA
5) insulin resistance rocketed up, C pep non-detectable, insulin dose up to one thousand units per day
6) 2016 went on pump with r500 insulin, insulin dose down to 500, but HbA1c >70
7) last week consultant ran more tests, HbA1c 82, C pep 435 !!!!

What the h@!! happened? I was type one, pancreas quit producing insulin but has now miraculously started again? And if I'm insulin resistant (and with that insulin dose I'm severely resistant) why is it now producing a 'normal' amount of insulin and not overproducing like it should be? And if the pancreas isn't overproducing, does that mean I'm not type two either?

I pushed the consultant for a definitive diagnosis. He said ' insulin dependent and severely resistant diabetes', and then agreed that was a non-answer.

My HbA1c is only ever getting worse, yet my bg test readings are getting better. One problem is that gastroparesis is causing vomiting attacks, during which it takes about an hour for my bg to go past 33 and stay there. I do take insulin, but there is a limit to the amount I feel safe taking if I can't guarantee to keep even liquids down.

My consultant is desperate to get me on the libre. Unfortunately for him there is no way I'm sticking my fingers eight times a day for three months, they hurt enough as it is. And technically I may no longer be type one, although I'm definitely insulin dependent. He's written to my GP asking her to prescribe the sensors, so we'll see.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no clue about what is going on. I am T2 and have no knowledge of other types.

I do have a couple of questions though. Can you give us a typical days eating?

When I test, and I don't do it all the time anymore, I will test 6 to 8 times a day. It shouldn't hurt. It does sometimes when the Lancet gets blunt (after several weeks).

It must be hugely frustrating for you, but if the price of a libre was a few fingerpricks, I would pay it.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Did the endocrinologist mention Glucagon? It is not something I'm too familiar with but it could play a part in your problems. Grasping at straws here but I wish you well and hope you can get a definite answer very soon.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c is only ever getting worse, yet my bg test readings are getting better.
Isn’t there some other alternative test than the hb1ac, can’t remember the name frusuctise or something. I’m wondering if fingerpricks are ok (what sort of levels are they?) then is there an issue where hb1ac isn’t accurate for you?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Isn’t there some other alternative test than the hb1ac, can’t remember the name frusuctise or something. I’m wondering if fingerpricks are ok (what sort of levels are they?) then is there an issue where hb1ac isn’t accurate for you?
Fructosamine? Some anaemias can skew A1c values.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fructosamine? Some anaemias can skew A1c values.
That’s the one. Ta. Wasn’t sure which factors if any other than iron issues mess up hb1ac or if this could be an issue for the op.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That’s the one. Ta. Wasn’t sure which factors if any other than iron issues mess up hb1ac or if this could be an issue for the op.

It is the cPeptide that looks dodgy though, suggests LADA but if it is the honeymoon is quite long.

Sorry OP, I got nuthin, I'm afraid.

DawnOfTheZed

@Seacrow
I can't see member signatures and details on the phone I'm using. Has your weight fluctuated or changed since 2003? I've heard some people get beta cell function back after losing fat from their pancreas? Could that be what's happening?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have no clue about what is going on. I am T2 and have no knowledge of other types.

I do have a couple of questions though. Can you give us a typical days eating?

It must be hugely frustrating for you, but if the price of a libre was a few fingerpricks, I would pay it.

I don't really have a typical day, but taking yesterday:

2pm lunch sandwich, heavy on meat and cheese 100u

7pm dinner, chicken and pasta in chunky veg sauce, yogurt 150u

1am heading slowly for hypo, one pack crisps

Sometimes I have more of a meal in the night.

The fingerpricks would need to double in number, and I get enough infected fingertips as it is.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Some anaemias can skew A1c values.

Oh boy, SO not anaemia. Haemocrit and red blood cell count are always about double the top number of the lab reference range. That's thought to be due to extreme blood loss when I had periods, my body was accustomed to making lots of blood.

I suppose too much iron might change the value of the HbA1c, but the trend of the values is upwards, and I'd believe that.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
It is the cPeptide that looks dodgy though, suggests LADA but if it is the honeymoon is quite long.

Sorry OP, I got nuthin, I'm afraid.

S'OK. I think more than anything I needed to wail my frustration somewhere people would understand. Thanks for listening.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vent as much as you need, you're having an aweful time of things.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
@Seacrow
I can't see member signatures and details on the phone I'm using. Has your weight fluctuated or changed since 2003? I've heard some people get beta cell function back after losing fat from their pancreas? Could that be what's happening?
Unfortunately not. A stable (though unhealthy) weight of 100kg since before diagnosis. I've gone through periods of desperately trying to lose weight, even via a hospital program. Max weight loss - 5kg!! I gave up.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Have you tried low carb?
Going lower carb is partly why the insulin dose has reduced. Going fully low carb is a bit of a problem, I'm supposed to eat low protein because my kidneys are rough, low fibre for gastroparesis and careful selection of fats because of high cholesterol.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have a lot on your p nolate (so to speak). I don't have enough experience to advise you, but I wish you well.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Seacrow - has anyone mentioned MODY to you? It's possible that it's not "just" Type 1 or Type 2 - there are other types.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High @Seacrow

Have any of your healthcare professionals mentioned Haemochromatosis or Bronze Diabetes to you?
If not, I would have a google about it.
It is usually a hereditary condition where iron and ferritin levels are excessively high, which can cause progressive damage to a number of organs. One of the consequences is known as Bronze Diabetes.

Obviously, this is just speculation.
But it may be worth requesting the genetic testing that would identify if you carry one of the genes that cause Haemochromatosis, because if you do, and your ferritin is at a damaging level, the solution is relatively simple - a pint of blood is taken at regular intervals to return your test results to normal.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hemochromatotis-bronze-diabetes.html
http://haemochromatosis.org.uk/
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/liver-conditions/haemochromatosis/

Reactions: gemma_T1

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
High @Seacrow

Have any of your healthcare professionals mentioned Haemochromatosis or Bronze Diabetes to you?
If not, I would have a google about it.
It is usually a hereditary condition where iron and ferritin levels are excessively high, which can cause progressive damage to a number of organs. One of the consequences is known as Bronze Diabetes.

Obviously, this is just speculation.
But it may be worth requesting the genetic testing that would identify if you carry one of the genes that cause Haemochromatosis, because if you do, and your ferritin is at a damaging level, the solution is relatively simple - a pint of blood is taken at regular intervals to return your test results to normal.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hemochromatotis-bronze-diabetes.html
http://haemochromatosis.org.uk/
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/liver-conditions/haemochromatosis/

It's a great idea, and would explain many things, but would have been found when my genome was sequenced.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi @Seacrow - has anyone mentioned MODY to you? It's possible that it's not "just" Type 1 or Type 2 - there are other types.
I was checked for hnf1a specifically, and got a no. The other gene variations should have shown up in my genome sequencing, and didn't. Now I'm looking into incredibly rare variants of diabetes, but nothing I've found so far quite fits. Thanks for trying.