Type1, awful week, started painfully and just got worse.

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had lucentis injections.both eyes on Monday. Have posted before that this is usually uncomfortable ,but bearable. Not this time, have had 50+ jabs but this week one of the worst. All docs seem to have different techniques ? . I really objects to being told ,that you shouldn't be feeling any pain by so meone who is sticking needles in your eye. If they had put anaesthetic in my eye instead of my ear it might have been less painful. Following day diabetic review, Hba1c 8 not great I know but slightly lower than 6 months ago, I explained that my levels to achieve this are anything between 3 and 15 to achieve this. He said quote, because I had a lot of readings under 4, that studies had proved I would almost certainly get dementia or altzeimers. He went on to say we should go back to basics 1 unit insulin to 100ml carbs halfing my dose not to worry if I spiked at 16 or more and not to test bloods between meals,no correction dose till next meal. I consider my meter my lifeline. Have tried+ it for a few days with readings in the 20+ after 35 year the most confused and lowest ive ever felt. Am going back to my regime and stuff email. I was also told at 74 kgs despite losing 2kgs at 5 ft 6 jus I am pre obese talk about kicking someone when they are down. The nurse who said this was at least0kgs overweight. Makes me won't to give up on the medical profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

I cannot begin to know how it must feel with injections in your eye and then add all the negativity being said to you must be so demoralising.

I will bump your post up to see if anyone can relate or give you advice.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @petdell, those eye injections sound awful. I haven't experienced those, but I can imagine how frightening and painful it must be. I have had laser treatment on my eyes, and I get pretty upset with that!
It sounds like your doctor thinks you're having too many hypos, and is starting you on a back to basics ratio just as a start. He may not be able to see a pattern in your readings if you are doing lots of corrections between meals. Just an idea, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick. I feel like my meter is my lifeline too, I know what you mean.
The good thing about 'pre-obese' is that it is not 'obese' , and flagging this up gives you the push to reduce the small amount you need to. The nurse was seriously overweight, but that's her problem!
I'm sorry you feel so low at the moment. Just remember to get the info you need from the health people, and don't worry about their attitudes. They're probably having off-days as well. :(

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot begin to know how it must feel with injections in your eye and then add all the negativity being said to you must be so demoralising.

I will bump your post up to see if anyone can relate or give you advice.
Thanks Catherine, sorry the post sounds so negative,I've probably frightened people off. Just had a bad week, and wanted to get it off my chest.

C

catherinecherub

Nobody will judge your post and even if people cannot relate, they will support you.