Type1: Protein - effect on blood sugars query

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Norfnife Its good you enjoy our food - I do too! I hope you can find an answer to your BS problems. I know how frustrating it can be.

My other thought is have you asked about a pump? Or would you consider one? I could never get my basal to match my body's needs and a pump was the answer for me. It made an enormous difference.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject usually about 30 minutes before eating. But if I'm over 10, it might easily be 90 minutes or more before the insulin does anything.

If you are having problems with delayed insulin action, have you checked your injection sites - any lumps & bumps that might be impeding absorption?

I agree with @azure, you migh want to think about considering a pump.

In my experience, a doctor is highly unlikely to actually be proactive unless you, in the nicest possible way, make yourself a bit of a pain in the ****. Make sure you explicitly set out the problems you are having (much as you have done on this thread) & and ask for help - in writing, by email if you've got their contacts, send it to your DSN & consultant and chase up if you don't get the help you need. While these are problems that are impacting on your life, you are just one patient on their list, so, politely & constructively, you might have to sort of make it their problem too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor just tells me to test test test. Yes insulin is supposed to allow a lot of flexibility but it's a lot trickier than that. Sounds good in theory but it's not real life. I have learned far more and much faster with the help of all the good people on this forum. Fat more

I too agree with azure a pump might be good for you

Also timing your bolus makes a big difference but it does take lots of testing. I take mine 20 min early but I am just eating fat and protein with very few carbs. Many who have just a fat and protein meal take it after or during.

Reactions: 3 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And I don't eat the exact same meal for lunch and dinner. Just breakfast. It always works, it s fast and brain,was. Lunch and dinner I eat the same size meals Witt he same macros. I mix up my proteins veggies and fats but all the calculations are done for bolusing. I have a great variety of flavors. I wasn't a chef but cooking was my hobby and I will admit it was good. I loved experimenting and I still do. I as well have no prob,me altering to make it bs friendly. I make a spicy sauce that I have been told by everyone who tried it that I should bottle it. It's really very simple. Haha