type2 and struggling to get bg levels down

pebbles2you

Hello,
I was just diagnosed with type 2 about 3 months ago with my fasting levels were at about 19. I was given 5 minutes advise from the nurse (stay away from pasta,rice,bread,potatoes&cereal) and then sent on my way and told to come back in 4 months to see if I have improved any on my own. I'm really struggling to know what to do/eat. I have lost about 20 lbs in 3 months from watching/counting everything I eat and trying to stay away from pasta/potatoes and have gone to whole grain breads... I thought I was doing well, but then I bought myself a tester and was shocked to see that I have only lowered my levels by about 5 points! I'm still reading about 14 in the mornings. I don't know if it's normal to take this long to get my levels down or if maybe I need to omit all bread/grains/carbs completely until I can get down to a normal level? I am concerned and could use some real advice... thanks for reading and I appreciate any comments/help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Pebbles and welcome to the forum :)

Basically you need to really cut down on the carbs you eat. Here is the information we give to new members which I hope will be useful to you. Carry on asking questions and someone will give you some advice.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello Pebbles

Could you give a few examples of meals you eat?
I'm sure a few of us will chip in with comments and suggestions.
Do you sill have much weight to lose?
Do you exercise?
Are you taking any medication?

Well done to your nurse for saying cut back on carbs!

Cara

rediron

hi pebbles,
when I was diagnosed I had similar problems, I just couldn't get my bg levels down at all. I was seeing 15 etc every morning and the meds didn't seem to be doing anything for me. Initially i was put on metformin and the dosage increased and other meds added such as gliclazide and a gliptin over 3 months and kept my portion sizes and carbs controlled, which finally worked for me. Just keep pushing the professionals until they get you where you want to be; they can't have you sitting in the double digits for four months!
Good luck!:)

pebbles2you

many thanks Rediron. makes me feel better that I am not alone. currently, they have me on no meds.... said they wanted to retest after 4 months to see if I was able to bring them down with diet/exercise alone. I go back in 4 weeks and as I haven't been able to lower them myself I suspect I will be given medication now. But still hoping to use food/exercise as a long term method of keeping levels down once I figure out what works for my body. It's been quite difficult, I must admit, to completely change my eating habits these first few months, so I know I am far from perfect. Still trying new things and it looks as though I may have to stop even whole grain bread altogether to see if that helps.

meoman

im exploring the merits of rye sourdough bread rather than wholegrain as that gives me bad spikes also. GI around 49

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
pebbles2you said:
Hello,
I was just diagnosed with type 2 about 3 months ago with my fasting levels were at about 19. I was given 5 minutes advise from the nurse (stay away from pasta,rice,bread,potatoes&cereal) and then sent on my way and told to come back in 4 months to see if I have improved any on my own. I'm really struggling to know what to do/eat. I have lost about 20 lbs in 3 months from watching/counting everything I eat and trying to stay away from pasta/potatoes and have gone to whole grain breads... I thought I was doing well, but then I bought myself a tester and was shocked to see that I have only lowered my levels by about 5 points! I'm still reading about 14 in the mornings. I don't know if it's normal to take this long to get my levels down or if maybe I need to omit all bread/grains/carbs completely until I can get down to a normal level? I am concerned and could use some real advice... thanks for reading and I appreciate any comments/help.

Your story is very similar to mine .. My level was 18. and I got the same unhelpful diet advice.. except my GP also wanted to put me on metformin and statins immediately – I refused, and asked for time to try to bring my levels down. I bought myself a tester immediately, (GP was against testing) so I was testing from the start. In 4 months I got my Fasting BG down in the 5’s, and I had lost 20lbs too.

As is very common, you do have a particular problem with your fasting BG. I did too, until I cut out bread and cereals at breakfast.

What do you eat for breakfast? I found that my favourite food (toast) is off the menu, at least at breakfast time. You say you are 14 in the mornings? – Is that a fasting level or is that your BG +2hrs after breakfast. Do you eat the wholegrain bread at breakfast time?

I tried all sorts of bread, even everyone’s favourite Burgen Linseed & Soysa can spike me at breakfast. I found that I can only safely eat a half slice of Burgen at breakfast, and 1 slice, at a time, any other time – so sandwiches were also off the menu at lunchtime. Wholegrain bread spikes me as much as white! – looks as if you may be the same.

When I want bread I eat thinly sliced Rye Bread from the Village Bakery It’s made with Wholegrain Rye Flour, water and salt. – Nothing else, not even yeast. You can buy it from Asda or Waitrose. It took a while to get used to the flavour, but I love it now.
Livlife Seriously Seeded bread (Waitrose) is great too for making a sandwich (bacon sandwich, yum!) It’s made with soya flour, and has an unusual tang on first tasting, but If like me, you love bread, desperation means you get used to it.. see Rye Bread above :)

For breakfast, you might like to try bacon, eggs, yoghurt, cheese, cold cuts, etc., play around and find what suits you best. I love Greek (full fat - more filling) Yoghurt with a sprinkling of granola, fruit or nuts.. A word on fruit -berries are generally more kind to BG's than other fruits. Bananas make my BG’s go stratospheric!! I now love plain Greek Yoghurt so much that I make it by the vat :lol: I recently bought an Easiyo Yoghurt Maker from Lakeland (currently on half-price special offer at £7.14., http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7531/EasiYo-Yoghurt-Maker) and make a litre of plain greek yoghurt for breakfast, and add fruit, nuts, seeds, or toasted coconut – whatever I fancy. If you zap the fruit in the microwave for 20 secs or so, it will release some of the juices, yum!

Is your fasting BG your only concern, or are you having problems at other times too?

You have 4 weeks to go to your retest. Is it a fasting BG test or an HBA1c? You still have time to get your levels down further before then. However, an HBA1c test is allegedly(!) an indication of your average BG over the previous 3 months. Some experts say that it’s only over the previous 4 or 6 or 8 weeks – take your pick. The reason I’m saying this, is if your BG’s HAVE been uncontrolled to around an average of 14 over the time since you were dx, then this MAY be reflected in your HBA1c when measured in 4 weeks time. However, if you only have a problem with your fasting BG, then although it may push up your average BG (and therefore your HBA1c), it may be balanced out somewhat if your BG's are within range the rest of the time. (But the next 4 weeks can also make a significant difference if you can reduce your levels.

So obviously start with breakfast.

Don’t be intimidated by your DSN into taking the drugs, if you can get your levels down further, then you may be able to control your diabetes with diet and exercise alone. HCP's are nothing, if not, predictable.....They want us to take the drugs, as they EXPECT us to fail .. so they think they are protecting us from ourselves. BUT, It’s YOUR choice to take the drugs or not. Metformin can help with weight loss, if you still have weight to lose, but can (ahem!) cause what they like to delicately call “gastric upset”. I have managed to resist all medication for over a year now, despite some heavy-handed scare tactics by my GP. At my annual review last month, I felt vindicated – the dietician (and I use the word loosely here – as I had no real useful help from her) called me a “star”. My new GP is happy for me to carry on as I “have good control” and non-diabetic BG’s) - and doesn't want to see me again for 6 months.

However, if you feel that you want to take the drugs to help for a while, you can always opt to reduce or stop them later, but don’t feel pressured to do what they want – you can always say you want more time to get your BG’s down. You are CLEARLY making progress, and despite what you say, a drop of 5 is significant. But you will be able to do better once you get to grips with your diet and learn better which foods suit YOU and WHEN you can eat them.

There's loads of helpful advice on this forum, but you also have to find what suits YOU best, and I (and others) firmly believe that testing is the key to that. New habits take time to form, so don’t beat yourself up about it. You CAN use food & exercise to get and keep your BG levels down. Unfortunately there is no “one-size-fits-all diet” which anyone can advise that will fix it. We are all different, as we are all a different stages of the disease at diagnosis.

I use a little book (you can get it on Amazon) called Collins gem Carb Counter which will tell you the carb content of common foods. There are many other books and online or phone apps too, that you may find useful. Browse the forum and see what others use .. MyFitnessPal is very popular.

In general terms, you will have to restrict carbohydrates to some extent, especially, as you already know, refined carbs such as white bread, potatoes (esp. mashed), white rice, pasta, sugar (obviously!).

It’s worth trying the more complex carbs like wholegrain bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, small NEW potatoes (1 or 2 about the size of a hen’s egg), beans, legumes etc., but again, it’s likely that you will have to restrict portions.

How much you restrict your carbs is down to personal choice and how they affect your BG levels. The best way to find out is to TEST,TEST,TEST your blood. Based on the results, adjust portion sizes, or eliminate problem foods from your diet, and you should see your BG levels come down.

Your BG's may not come down overnight, but will come down when you make changes to your diet that suit YOU. Testing will give you the information to do that. Whatever you choose to eat, think of it as transitioning to your future healthy lifestyle. It will become a way of life, and new habits are formed one step at a time.

If you'd like a diet buddy for the next 4 weeks, you can PM me.

Best wishes

meoman

weens12, this is a tremendous article you posted. We had been thinking Yoghurt and I noticed mention of the Easiyo. Its half price but dont you need to buy sachets of stuff every so often so the price is a little hidden. Please advise as I will go order one if I also think it will help my problematic type 2 also. Thanks for advice in anticipation. Regards M

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
meoman said:
weens12, this is a tremendous article you posted. We had been thinking Yoghurt and I noticed mention of the Easiyo. Its half price but dont you need to buy sachets of stuff every so often so the price is a little hidden. Please advise as I will go order one if I also think it will help my problematic type 2 also. Thanks for advice in anticipation. Regards M

Hi Meoman,
I bought my Easiyo only last week, and have been gobbling down yoghurt ever since. :D

Basically it’s a large litre size plastic heat resistant container which goes inside a large thermos flask which you fill with just-boiled water from the kettle. There’s no need for electricity, so it’s pretty low-tech, but it works wonderfully, producing yoghurt in 8-12 hours. With the sachets you just add the mix with water from the tap, screw the lid on, shake it up to mix, fill the thermos thingy with hot water to the level required, screw the lid on the thermos and wait.

It will still be a little warm after this time, and tastes better after it has been cooled for a few hours in the fridge. It will keep for around 2 weeks (if you don’t gobble it down like I do!) :oops:

Although I bought a pack of 5 Easiyo Greek yoghurt sachets (not the low fat one (more sugar) as fat helps to slow down the absorption of carbs) from Lakeland to start me off which I thought was v. expensive. I justified the expense to myself, by thinking a) I'd got the maker for half-price and b) I’d just use the sachets up first to see whether the maker and the yoghurt turned out as good as the rave reviews said. But I already had the idea that I would make my own, once I’d used the pack up. I haven’t tried that yet, (haven't got to the end of the pack) but apparently it’s very simple! Holland and Barrett also sell the Easiyo sachets singly, for £2.79 - £3.15 each. which is also very expensive. :( but which would let you try it out.

I had already googled around for recipes, and it’s very simple to make from scratch yourself!! :D :D :D
All that’s needed to make a litre of plain yoghurt is about 2- 4 tablespoons of active yoghurt (I’m thinking…. my last few tablespoons of my last pack of the Greek stuff), or just buy a good active (with acidophilus) one from the supermarket and use some of that, and mix together with 1 tablespoon of dried milk (optional, if you like it creamier) and top up to 1 litre with UHT milk. You can also use regular milk, but you have to boil it first, I think. I didn’t bother looking into that much, as I don’t mind the UHT stuff (and it’s pretty cheap) and it comes in full fat, skimmed and semi skimmed, so plenty to experiment with. 1 litre of yoghurt for less than £1 – what’s not to like? So for each litre, just save 2-4 tablespoons of the previous batch and you can go on forever!

With lunch today, I’ve just hoovered down 100g (6.5g carbs) with 10g unsweetened dessicated coconut (0.6g carbs) mixed in – delicious! – to me anyway (I don’t have a sweet tooth)

I tested it for breakfast, which is always the problem time for me. Bear in mind that I’m a 5ft 54kg woman….(well now I am! - although I've been 5ft for years :wink: ) If you are male, then you may want/need more yoghurt and/or more fruit and/or more granola/nuts etc., or whatever else you fancy - I would recommend unsweetened coconut - pretty low in carbs. I don't like/trust sweeteners - I always try to use natural alternatives like fruit, when I want something a little sweeter. Tried a small plum (chopped and zapped in the microwave)with the yoghurt the other day - scrummy! but I was so excited, I forgot to test! :oops:

200g Easiyo Greek Yoghurt 13g carbs (159 kcal)
50g blackberries (1g carbs according to my book) 50 kcals (zapped for 20 secs in microwave to release more juice - leave to cool a little)
A sprinkling of Lizi’s Granola (got it in Waitrose) about 10g weight – 4.86 g carbs
2 cups of tea with semi-skimmed milk (one thing I refuse to give up – would rather reduce something else as life wouldn’t be worth living!)
I calculated around 220 kcals (about 22 g carbs) in the whole thing.
BG’s (1.6 rise to my peak at +1hr)
Fasting: 5.3
+1hr: 6.9
+2hrs: I rarely take a +2hr reading anymore, as I find that my peak BG is generally around +1hr, unless I eat wholewheat pasta, when I took readings at +2hrs, +3hrs (and last night +4hrs!) :shock:

I hope you find this useful - Let me know how you get on?

Cheers!
Elle

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weens12 said:
meoman said:

Hi Meoman,
I bought my Easiyo only last week, and have been gobbling down yoghurt ever since. :D

Basically it’s a large litre size plastic heat resistant container which goes inside a large thermos flask which you fill with just-boiled water from the kettle. There’s no need for electricity, so it’s pretty low-tech, but it works wonderfully, producing yoghurt in 8-12 hours. With the sachets you just add the mix with water from the tap, screw the lid on, shake it up to mix, fill the thermos thingy with hot water to the level required, screw the lid on the thermos and wait.

It will still be a little warm after this time, and tastes better after it has been cooled for a few hours in the fridge. It will keep for around 2 weeks (if you don’t gobble it down like I do!) :oops:

Although I bought a pack of 5 Easiyo greek yoghurt sachets (not the low fat one, as fat helps to slow down the absorption of carbs) from Lakeland to start me off which I thought was v. expensive. I justified the expense to myself, by thinking a) I'd got the maker for half-price and b) I’d just use the sachets up first to see whether the maker and the yoghurt turned out as good as the rave reviews said. But I already had the idea that I would make my own, once I’d used the pack up. I haven’t tried that yet, (haven't got to the end of the pack) but apparently it’s very simple! Holland and Barrett also sell the Easiyo sachets singly, for £2.79 - £3.15 each. which is also very expensive. :(

I had already googled around for recipes, and it’s very simple to make from scratch yourself!! :D :D :D
All that’s needed to make a litre of plain yoghurt is about 4 tablespoons of active yoghurt (I’m thinking…. my last 4 tablespoons of my last pack of the Greek stuff), or just buy a good active (with acidophilus) one from the supermarket and use some of that, and mix together with 1 tablespoon of dried milk (optional, if you like it creamier) and top up to 1 litre with UHT milk. You can also use ordinary milk, but you have to boil it first, I think. I didn’t bother looking into that much, as I don’t mind the UHT stuff (and it’s pretty cheap) and it comes in full fat, skimmed and semi skimmed, so plenty to experiment with. 1 litre of yoghurt for less than £1 – what’s not to like? So for each litre, just save 4 tablespoons of the previous batch and you can go on forever!

With lunch today, I’ve just hoovered down 100g (6.5g carbs) with 10g unsweetened dessicated coconut (0.6g carbs) mixed in – delicious! – to me anyway (I don’t have a sweet tooth)

I tested it for breakfast, which is always the problem time for me. Bear in mind that I’m a 5ft 54kg woman….(well now I am!) If you are male, then you may want/need more yoghurt and/or more fruit and/or more granola/nuts etc., or whatever else you fancy - I would recommend unsweetened coconut - pretty low in carbs. I don't like/trust sweeteners - I always try to use natural alternatives like fruit, when I want something a little sweeter. Tried a small plum (chopped and zapped in the microwave)with the yoghurt the other day - scrummy! but I was so excited, I forgot to test! :oops:

200g Easiyo Greek Yoghurt 13g carbs (159 kcal)
50g blackberries (1g carbs according to my book) 50 kcals (zapped for 20 secs in microwave to release more juice)
A sprinkling of Lizi’s Granola (got it in Waitrose) about 10g weight – 4.86 g carbs (I had previously tried a "whole portion" according to the pack for breakfast, and spiked badly - yikes! - so I just use it to sprinkle on yoghurt now. When that's finished, I'm going to have a go at making my own granola)
2 cups of tea with semi-skimmed milk (one thing I refuse to give up – would rather reduce something else as life wouldn’t be worth living!)
I calculated around 220 kcals (about 22 g carbs) in the whole thing.
BG’s (1.6 rise to my peak at +1hr)
Fasting: 5.3
+1hr: 6.9
+2hrs: I rarely take a +2hr reading anymore, as I find that my peak BG is generally around +1hr.

I hope you find this useful - Let me know how you get on?

Cheers!
Elle

elaine77

Hey and welcome,

If you continue to change ur diet, exercise and lose weight and see no improvement in your levels I would suggest speaking to your GP about doing blood tests to establish what type of diabetes you do actually have...presumably he hasn't done these yet?

Many people who join the forum are diagnosed as type 2 and after losing weight and taking meds for months with no improvement they are finally told that actually they are type 1/1.5 hence why the meds and diet change,a long with weightloss, are not working....

Always a good thing to know as much as possible :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.