Type2 Pregnancy and Testing

tashatreek

Hello everyone

I need some advice on testing. I've been told to test 7 x times daily. I was on Sitagliptin but am due to start Insulin tomorrow when I return to the hospital.

So, I shall be testing before every meal and 1 hour postprandial + testing before bed. I am just confused how to time the tests after a meal, if I also have snacks or cups of soya tea.

So as an example, I ate my last meal at 9am this morning, but didn't finish my cup of tea until 9.20am. At which time do I time my PP test?

Thank you all, very daunting time for me as I am only 5 weeks pregnant and have never been a regular tester at home, only the occasional fasting tests

Natasha x

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya :) welcome to the forum if you are new ,
I'm type one (but I always think type 2 is basically much like type one in pregnancy if put on insulin ) I'm currently preg with my second and feel like a bit of an expert with my own testing (I test 15-20 times a day) so hopefully my input can help you a bit :) in my opinion for me anyways over testing is better than under testing ,docs usually try to discourage too much due to using up lots of strips but if u feel better testing more than push for more strips .... With example this am for your food and tea etc I would test before food , then just before your tea (if you made it at 9.20) if you were just slow to Finnish it I wouldn't test until the hour after , so I'd test at 10.20... As long as u can get sugars stable within a two hour range from eating etc that's fine have you been given any info on carb counting ? This is a key for most on insulin and saves a lot of hypos/ highs ... In early pregnancy when my hormones were crazy I would set alarms to test during the night but that's just personal choice :)
It all seems a lot and overwhelming .. But once you get into a routine and you have your own way of doing things it won't seem as scary :). Have u been prescribed 5mg folic acid ? With regards to testing it can vary in early pregnancy and especially as insulin in new too you too but don't worry about how many times you test as I said if in doubt take s test :)
Hope this helps a bit feel free to ask any more questions x

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With regards to food (snacks) and sugary drinks (in my opinion anything apart from water) I personally test before consuming these and then an hour after too ... But with carb counting this does help to know if you will need to bolus insulin or if it's safe to drink etc without any extra insulin x

tashatreek

Thank you Tilly_S !

Today was my first day on insulin, was very anxious at the hospital but after a session learning about it I feel a bit better. Have had two fast acting shots today and just one before bed. Was a bit worried as I tested 17.1 1HourPP and panicked, thinking I'd done something wrong... tested again a straight away and it read 11.9 so not sure what happened there...

Am hoping to see an improvement soon. My Hba1c last week was 48% and generally my fasting levels are around 8 or 9 but my PP levels are definitely too high.

Wonder how long it will take to see some improvement? Xxx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All I say is although this is all new to you ... Don't be scared to adjust insulin yourself ( look into carb counting honestly I downloaded an app called carbs and Cals) and that's what brought my hba1c down fast It was last year 89 I think ... Awful! Then I took control to plan my pregnancy ... And it was down to 31 for the start of my pregnancy If I wasn't carb counting I wouldn't of got here ... Are u just on the two injections a day ? Also are u washing hands before testing ? This def makes a huge difference generally for me anyways i can see a difference in a month with my hba1c but everybody is different ... The main thing is just to concentrate on having personal goals which doesn't have to be huge but it helps to have a target :). Are u testing during the night ? Have they explain about correction doses etc or are they relying on diet and the two injections of insulin for now? It's hard work but it's possible and so worth it :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @tashatreek :)

The post-prandial test is timed from the start of your meal. So if you eat lunch at 1pm, your one hour PP test would be at 2pm and your two hour PP test at 3pm.

If you ever get a high reading like you reported above, always wash your hands and retest before doing anything. Even a speck of something on your finger can mess up the results.

It sounds like you've made a good start :) Give yourself a little time to get used to the insulin. Test lots and keep records and notes of what works for you.

If in any doubt, always check with your nurse, but you may want to,consider having your fast acting meal injection a little more in advance of eating. That can help stop PP spikes very well.