Types of carb!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - can anyone explain why pancakes (2) which I weighed & carb counted carefully sent sugars soaring, whereas fish & chips didn't?! I usually eat fairly low carb but since being on a pump, occasionally try new "carbier" foods! Had both twice recently & the same thing happened! TIA

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you have the pancakes and fish and chips at the same time of day?

On reason why fish and chips may have less of an effect is fat content.....this can slow glucose uptake....

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novorapidboi26 - good point. No pancakes on 2 occasions for brekkie, fish n chips both were for dinner. Tho my ratios are different - more insulin in morning. Yes could explain it I guess! Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fish and Chips is very high in fat and carbs, the fat slows down any spikes, most of us find the spike is gradual rise and can last for several hours, that is why for high-fat meals those on MDI have to split-dose and pumpers have to use a Dual-Wave bolus.

Pancakes are just flour, milk & eggs so will tend to spike bg levels unless you bolus well in advance.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @noblehead - that makes sense too. Great re: fish n chips & yes I did an extended bolus too. Sad re: pancakes - only have them occasionally tho so no great loss! I find it so interesting how different foods affect sugars! Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @noblehead - that makes sense too. Great re: fish n chips & yes I did an extended bolus too. Sad re: pancakes - only have them occasionally tho so no great loss! I find it so interesting how different foods affect sugars! Thanks.

Yes it is interesting, but with the right determination and effort I find foods can be eaten within reason without any large bg spikes (providing you get the bolus timings right), that is where a pump comes into it's own when dealing with high-carb/high-fat meals like fish & chips :)

Reactions: Medusa41

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could slather them with butter or there are low carb pancakes with nut flours or coconut flour. Much lower carb and much higher fat. Is imagine more filling as well

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Kristin251 - yes I do a sort of lower carb pancake with 1 egg, sml banana, chopped hazelnuts & spoon of xylitol (cooked in coconut oil) which is much nicer & no spikes! Just thought I'd try a 'normal' 1 but won't be again!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novorapidboi26 - good point. No pancakes on 2 occasions for brekkie, fish n chips both were for dinner. Tho my ratios are different - more insulin in morning. Yes could explain it I guess! Thanks

Also, because one was breakfast and on was dinner there are variables there, namely, your basal/bolus doses may not be right either in the morning or at dinner.....

Reactions: Medusa41