UK Gov. to discuss implementing new Eatwell

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you did tell us. You were right. Thank you.

So we're in for lab grown meat, crops that are perfectly OK to be grown outdoors to be grown in greenhouses instead, and we will have soya milk instead of cow's milk. Oh and the Eatwell plate that made so many of us ill is now being made worse as meat supplies will be limited, eat pulses instead. And all the time the population is growing and more homes will be built taking up more green space. And this is meant to be progress?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where the report says limit animal protein to 2.4gm per day, then this is equivlent to 0,5 oz a Week. that is 1/8 of a 4 oz beefburger a week or 1,5 eggs, or a smattering of cheese. but not all 3. Clearly not vegan. That level of B12 intake is not going to help me much thats for sure. But what B12 does an Impossible Burger contain to mitigate.

Apparently one IB contains 130% of RDA for B 12 due to it being fortified but no details available as to what source or biovalence it is. The iron is legume heme and is not so biovalent as heme iron. The protein is soy, and is not so easily absorbed or converted to amino acids.

Note: the IB has been updated recently by replacing the coconut oil by sunflower oil to make it Low Fat,

According to Impossible Foods' website, the five main ingredients of an Impossible Burger 2.0 are: Water. Soy-protein concentrate. Coconut oil.
Impossible "meat" also contains 2% or less of:
  • Potato protein.
  • Methylcellulose.
  • Yeast extract.
  • Cultured dextrose.
  • Food starch, modified.
  • Soy leghemoglobin.
  • Salt.
  • Soy-protein isolate.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The report states that we will be expected to rely heavily on manufactured meats for our protein too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't have soy protein. It affects my thyroid. So that's not very good Eatwell advice for me personally.

D

Deleted member 308541

It is official and is due for discussion with the aim of passing an Act of Parliament before year end
Discuss a Eatwell plate, they cannot make their decision about leaving Brexit clean so that will be a furphy... :meh:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t the referenced report say “less red meat” and suggests “pork and chicken” instead?
these are the percentage reductions in the report:
The dietary guidance issued by Public Health England implies a large reduction in the average consumption of beef and lamb, which fall by 89% and 63% respectively to 2.2 and 2.6 grams per day, and a 20% reduction in the amount of dairy products consumed.

page 32 of the report contains more detail, including a further proposal of a 50% reduction in dairy, including eggs.

any increase in pork and chicken production to compensate for this would negate most of the environmental benenfits claimed for the reduction in red meat and dairy.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn’t the referenced report say “less red meat” and suggests “pork and chicken” instead?
If you read the report Chapter 3 there is indeed a mention of using pork and poultry instead but that is for the 20% reduction of dairy products from animals. but the report then says that the reduction required to meet the zero carb ltarget in 2050 requires the 50% reduction, and this could not be met from white meat sources alone. It will need to be supplemented by artificial meat and synthetic milk products. The reason for this is that the extra 30#% reduction will also be accompanied by larger reduction in dairy cattle, and not just the beef herds. In another section of the report there is a discussion on land use, and pigs and poulttry do not come out without major negative impacts on demand for water, feedstock, and emissions of GHG. These resources are also competing with human requirements, so are to be reduced too. The report is singularly amiss in that fish is not discussed as a source of protein, and does not really get any mention in the report.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great Professors and experts but what does the people who farm these foods say about it being... doable?
I get the impression they have forgotten the important people.... the suppliers.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great Professors and experts but what does the people who farm these foods say about it being... doable?
I get the impression they have forgotten the important people.... the suppliers.
As you know, I live in a farming community and surrounded by farms, of all sort. They are not happy. Its grim at the moment round here. Especially as the consensus seems to be that its not only unworkable, its inaccurate and will prove to be counterproductive. Especially the bits about huge greenhouses and their effect on the environment. And the loss of animals to fertilize the land and produce byproducts like clothing and other materials. You cant feed animals effectively on scrub land and get high quality foods and healthy animals.

The report is as interesting for what it glosses over and misses out, as it is in what it has put in. One glaring omission is pet food, as just one example. How we will cloth ourselves without increasing petrochemical use/plastics is another. Rayon type fabrics use a lot of chemicals to produce and are mainly wood pulp based.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes you did tell us. You were right. Thank you.

So we're in for lab grown meat, crops that are perfectly OK to be grown outdoors to be grown in greenhouses instead, and we will have soya milk instead of cow's milk. Oh and the Eatwell plate that made so many of us ill is now being made worse as meat supplies will be limited, eat pulses instead. And all the time the population is growing and more homes will be built taking up more green space. And this is meant to be progress?

An entire Australian government (supposedly headed to a crushing victory) won it, and won it comprehensively on the back of those issues. The "pity industry" .....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice that the Report mentions their science credentials, and puts Oxford university inside double quotes. What they are actually talking about is the Oxford Martin School, which is a private funded climate research institution unrelated to the University. It is the main vegetarian science base where Prof Willetts is the chair. He is a founder member of the Eat Lancet Consortium.

Reactions: jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what has brought us to this worldwide catastrophe? Livestock has been farmed for centuries. No global warming back then (except the natural warming as the Earth was coming out of the last ice age) , so how are the cows to blame?

When did things start to change? I would say with the Industrial Revolution and with the need to find power for the new machines. Why did machines start to take over more and more? Because of greed and capitalism. OK we can't go back to that time and uninvent machines, they are here to stay, but do we really need to invent more and more so that the humble cow is not merely put out to pasture but killed off, never to return?

The thing that stood out to me was that the report wants farming to be more efficient and praised the most profitable farms. In my experience farming isn't just about profits, it's about producing good quality produce. It's quality not quantity that matters, and the farms that take time and measures to look after their livestock well are to be commended for not cutting corners with animal welfare just to get higher profits.

We need to start producing less stuff that we don't need and concentrate on the real issues. Farming is the most important industry we have yet it is going to be scaled back. How does that make sense? With Brexit looming we may not be able to buy food in as easily as before, why kill off our means of producing our own food? Unless of course you have shares in big business and want to bring the country to its knees so that you are in control. Greed again then.

Why can't we scale down our industrial production and put more workers back onto the land? Do we really need all the trappings of modern life? Do we need foreign travel? Yes, I fly a few times a year, but I would be willing to give that up if everyone did. I am not willing to give up eating meat. Do we really need all the gadgets produced today? Do we really need to manufacture meat of all things? It's manufactured food that has caused the obesity epidemic. Let's go back to eating healthy real food from small farms and forget this nonsense. The one thing we all need is decent nutrition, you can't get that from a laboratory. Ask the mice. I don't want to be part of a larger laboratory experiment. Do you?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The report is quite clear. Most of the land to be reclaimed back from the livestock farmers is to be turned over to biomass. In particular biomass that provides energy needs, not forest sequestration. So we are to be converting grain to ethanol to feed the machines that need petrol or biodiesel. That is the sacrifice we are being asked to make. It is not about food, it is a land grab.

Reactions: jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The report is quite clear. Most of the land to be reclaimed back from the livestock farmers is to be turned over to biomass. In particular biomass that provides energy needs, not forest sequestration. So we are to be converting grain to ethanol to feed the machines that need petrol or biodiesel. That is the sacrifice we are being asked to make. It is not about food, it is a land grab.
A land grab that there will be no going back from once it has happened. It really won't be any point in crying over spilt milk then.