UK School information pack

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know if the UK has a schools information pack similar to this one for Australia?

http://www.diabeteskidsandteens.com.au/teachers_and_schools.html

[I hope it's okay to post an external link]

It would be very useful to have something like this that I can give to the class teacher at the start of each year.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I would maybe ask at the school to see if they have. You could always print this one out if it is relevant here, and hand it to the class teacher.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks :D I know the school won't have one, they get all their information from me. I'll ask the diabetic nurse next time I see her. If there isn't a UK relevant version then I'll print this one, just wanted to see if there was one for the UK though as that would be more suitable, but the info although aimed for Australia is mostly still relevant.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (UK) are just about to issue a schools info pack. Try www.jdrf.co.uk and click on the 'In Schools' option from the menu on the left.

Sue

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sue, thanks for the heads up. Your link didn't work for me but I think you meant www.jdrf.org.uk I found the info that you were referring to there and will be asking my school to order a copy. :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just an update on this thread. I asked our school to order the pack from JDRF and they were quite happy to do so. Jess's class teacher handed me the pack today to have a look through and make sure I was happy with them using it in school. They are quite keen to incorporate it into the curriculum but wanted to make sure I was happy for that to happen too. It looks quite good and I think will help the other children in Jess's class to understand her illness. Quite importantly they will learn that they can't catch diabetes from Jess (a question her older brother asked recently) and that getting diabetes was not due to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise which is a cause for diabetes mentioned in the media recently. They will also cover how important friendships and understanding is for the child with diabetes. For all the other parents in the UK I recommend you ask your school to order a pack, it's free, and I think a good thing for the schools to incorporate into the curriculum where possible.

I didn't find anything similar to the information pack from Australia that I posted a link to in my original post. I had my own copies from that link printed and have passed it onto the school. The information in there was very useful and well received by this years teaching staff. There were also diabetic posters which I printed, one is in the classroom and one in the medical room. Part of that pack includes a template to put a photo of the child and enter all the relevant medical details and contact information concerning the condition. The information page lives on the register clipboard so that if a supply teacher is there that day she knows there is a diabetic in her class and who Jess is. Our school have now adopted the idea for all children with any illness or allergy that a supply teacher should know about. The sheets will be kept in the office and those relevant to her class will be shown to the supply teacher before she starts the teaching day. Of course parental consent has been sought from all the parents to do this. It would be nice if someone in the UK could produce a similar pack/information book like the Australian one, it has been very useful for us to use.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As a retired teacher, I can tell you that most schools are grateful for any help in understanding the health of their pupils and that the SENCO( special needs co-ordinator) has enormous power.
Hana

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hana, it was the SENCO who I originally spoke to and who arranged to get the pack ordered in for our school. We are lucky that she, and all the staff at our school, are very enthusiastic about helping and doing all that they can to make life easier for the children and their families.