Ulcerative Colitis and Type 2

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
I was diagnosed with UC almost 30 years ago and have coped with it reasonably well during that time however the last 3 years have been more of a challenge.

I was on high doses of steroids for the best part of a year prior to my Type 2 diagnosis and am pretty sure that was a contributing factor in my developing the illness. At the same time I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and an underactive thyriod, or as I like to call it "The Grand Slam of Heart Disease".

I'm now having my first UC flare since the developing diabetes and once again have been put onto high doses of steriods. My fasting BG has risen to 12.6 this morning, from a more typical 6 - 8, and after breakfast of a bacon sandwich (yes I know, too many carbs) rocketed to 28.2, my GP has upped my metformin to 3grms a day but I'm not sure what I can do to help ease the situation.
I'm too wiped out by the UC to take any exercise and it also stops me taking on much fibre ... in fact I cant think of anything to eat that wont affect either my UC or diabetes.

Oh and as a nice aside my high BG has given me thrush and the UC flare has also encouraged a bad case of piles. Fingers crossed I could get a dose of cystitis before the weekend is out :roll:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My wife has had UC most of her life and had to have steroid enemas which helped but as you are aware have side effects but fortunately she has normal blood sugar. I know this is outside of the noraml scope of the forum and I'm not an expert, but my wife's UC was cured through the use of the immuno-suppressant Azathioprine. Her excellent consultant gave it a try and it worked immediately for her having stopped the steroids. It has it's downside of course as you become more prone to illness and a few other things. She stopped the Azo a few years back and no longer has any UC and has a very happy consultant! Note that further meds can be added to your Met. I am on three different tablets added over the years.

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Hi Daibell,

Yes I was on Azathyorprine for a couple of years but stopped after being in remission and being diagnosed with diabetes et al. Stupid I know but I simply couldn't cope with taking Aza and Pentasa along with all the other meds. I'm off to see my GI doc on Monday who I am sure will get me on the Aza again but I will have to sit out this 6 week course of Pred meanwhile.

Going to go low carb again I think ... well once I have access to a brain that can think :D