1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Unbelievable!!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dr. Nic, Mar 24, 2009.

1. EricD

EricD · Well-Known Member

We'll probably get some of these loonies here in this forum soon telling us that this "new diet" is even better than the Atkins Diet and every diebetic must go on it. :roll:

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

We have loonies on the forum??!! No way!! :twisted:

3. EricD

I didn't mean that we have loonies in the forum Sue, I meant that some of the loonies who follow this "new diet" will join and tell us it's good for us.

Should have said "join this forum" and not "here in this forum", sorry, my mistake. :oops:

4. sixfoot

sixfoot · Well-Known Member

CALLING ALL LOONIES !!! CALLING ALL LOONIES !!!! Free rotten flesh at Sues all you can eat , bring your own maggots.

5. Buachaille

Buachaille · Well-Known Member

Do a Google and it gets absurd and amusingly wonderful. Some Charles Atlas type photographs available. Clip from a review:

Mr. Vonderplanitz is reportedly a very polished speaker, and with his impressive physique (never works out, of course ;-) ) and commanding presence is very persuasive in the few public appearances he has given so far. But, if he expects to be taken at all seriously, he will need to document his claims, be much more specific in his methodology (if there exist any specifics to his methodology), and back way off with his naive "theoretical explanations."

Smooth talk and a likeable presence are probably enough for the uncritical minds of most folks into fringe diets--and Mr. Vonderplanitz is almost assured a small fringe following. But if he hopes to impress the mainstream (or get any attention from serious researchers) with the importance of his approach, he will have to provide documentation along with anecdote. He will have to provide a verifiable methodology as well as a winning smile.

6. Aadrgon

Aadrgon · Well-Known Member

Good, my disguise as a normal human being is working then.

Doh !! just given myself away :lol: :lol:

7. Musicmaker

Musicmaker · Member

Hi Folks,

Very interesting topic!

May I, after over 72 years on planet earth, postulate my 'take' on this?

Somewhere, in the 'Middle Ground', there may be sense. I was a child in the late '30's, early '40's.

In those days, butchers hung their meat carcases at the open shop front exposed to flies, bacteria or airborne 'nasties'. Similar with the Fishmongers marble slab in an open shop window - all Summer or Winter. There were no 'Sell By' dates, little hygienne, and no Environmental Health Inspectors or Health and Safety Legislation. Most commodities, such as sugar, biscuits, butter, cheese, etc, were sold loose, and handled by the shopkeeper, who rarely washed his hands, and possibly smoked with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth as he served you.

People exposed to all this built up a natural immunity and resistance to bugs - just like todays preventative 'jabs' that give you a small dose of a disease to produce natural defences. Todays 'super hygeine' precludes such bugs that we happily ate in those 'so called' unenlightened days, so we are a much 'sicker' society these days, in spite of the amazing advances in medical treatment and technology.

My mother lived to 84 as a Diabetic, without Insulin or Metformin, and lived a long and happy life, controlling her diabetes by diet and 'how she felt'. She had no Blood Glocose meters or modern help. (I admit they removed both her Gangerine legs 2 weeks before she passed in 1984). She had been one of the country's top Show Judges in the Dog Show world, and the top breeder of German Shepherds (Alsatians), for many years. We were not poor, but lived in (by todays standards) absolute squalor. Dogs had litters in any room, on any bed, and peed and poohed anywhere. She never had a days illness in her life, and neither have I until everything happened in the last couple of years after I retired at 70, working up to 16 hours a day to the end, as well as being a part time musician and entertainer around the Pubs and Clubs..

No, I couldn't eat that diet - but in the army on 'Survival' courses, I ate far worse, or starved. It is surprising how resilent the body is, but not the mind.

Kindest regards,

John

8. Aadrgon

Aadrgon · Well-Known Member

I believe there was a report sometime last year that found that farmers children tend to be healthier on the grounds that they tend to have better developed immune systems

9. EricD

Aha, my mistake revealed one afterall. :lol:

10. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Oh ,so you've tasted my cooking then!! :twisted: :twisted:

11. sixfoot

Cant say that i have but does it consist of Tatties Neaps and other delicacies

Rennies anyone ?
    :D Dave P

12. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Low carb ,Dave no tatties or neeps....still need the Rennies though! :twisted:

13. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

14. sixfoot

Oh well ... one less for dinner then :|

Dave P

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook