Uncertain bordering on confused

tonywig

Hi all.

I was diagnosed in UK about 18 months ago with HBA1C count of 107 (mmol I think).
I have since moved to France, changed my diet massively (though still allowing myself "sensible" treats). My HBA1C is now 6.2% (equivalent of 44 mmol).
I had to change my medication coming to France as the drugs I was prescribed in UK are not available in France.

The question I have, and I do feel slightly silly having to ask but I really don't know the answer, is ...

Given my count is now in a normal range, assuming I keep taking my medication, are my risk factors (stroke, heart disease, etc) STILL high because I have diabetes or is my reduced HBA1C a sign that my body is, with help from medication, now "normal"?

Thank you in advance.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You have done really well. There is still and I am afraid will always be work to do.

Your numbers should reduce the risk of complications, however on UK measures they are in the pre-diabetic range.

Can you reduce your number by a wee bit more, each point drop reduces risk further, ideally below 42.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes, you certainly have lowered your risk of all complications, very well done.

In the UK 44 is considered to be still in the Pre Diabetes range, below 42 is considered 'normal'.

Reactions: kitedoc