Uncontrolled Diabetes

Aly67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi rprprp. It seems to me, that like most of us have been at one time or another, you are still in some denial and quandary over your diabetes. It took me almost a decade with numbers well above 7 mmol/L and often numbers in the low teens to get serious about the food I was eating. Also the fact that my eyesight was getting progressively worse though still fairly good for my age. The fact is, I didn't want to go blind so needed to take control pretty quickly. I began by analysing what foods gave me the highest numbers. I found potatoes, rice and pasta were like poison to me, sending my BG numbers rocketing. I would suggest that over the the next few weeks you gradually reduce the carbs that could be causing your high numbers and perhaps cut them out altogether after your midday lunch. I did that and my numbers are now often pre diabetic and falling. The bonus was that I also lost 1.5 stone in the year I have been controlling better. I'm no expert, I still make mistakes, and sometimes I get my diet wrong. But in general I am happy with a low carb diet and don't even miss my once beloved potatoes that much. My fasting numbers over this past week have been in the region 4.5, which I am happy with. When I first started taking control in November 2011 my numbers were: Evening 18/11/2017 14.1 Morning 19/11/2017 7.2 Now: Evening 18/09/2018 4.7 Morning 19/09/2018 4.6 So it can be done but you will have to make it work for yourself. Good luck!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found a chart which shows the equivalent amount of sugar in high carb foods. It shocked me and helped me understand why high carbohydrate foods are not good for Type 2 diabetics.

Previously, I did not understand that when carbs are broken down in the body, they are like sugar. Most of the public do not know this. Using a blood glucose meter right before you eat and 2 hours after will show the effect a particular carb has on your blood sugar. I cannot eat either wheat or potatoes - a small wholewheat low carb bun (17 g) caused a big blood glucose spike as did a small potato (less than 1/4 cup) with the skin on (so did pasta). . I have eliminated both from my diet (along with other high carb foods I haven't tested.) Many people here have seen reductions in blood sugars and some have been able to reduce or discontinue meds eating low carb.

The chart (from Dr. David Unwin, a British doctor who's seen very good results among the Type 2 diabetics in his practice is on this page. (This site has lots of useful info, the visual guides are very good.)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-different-foods-affect-blood-sugar-levels
I've found these to be useful too (pictures speaking louder than words for some)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked on here someone ate 2 burger for lunch and stuff and they are ok.

My doctor is aware.

I can have 2 burgers and be fine. As long as I tell them to hold the buns. Without buns a burger's about 5 grams of carbs (including ketchup, bacon, lettuce, tomato and a bit of pickle/onion). With a bun one small burger is about 30 grams of carbs or more. That's more carbs than I usually have in a day. And that would spike me horribly.

Thing is... Diabetes is highly personal. Your insulin response, insulin resistance and liver dumps are like snowflakes, they're never exactly the same as another T2's. That's why you need a meter, so you can test what foods work for you specifically, and which don't. Generally speaking, all carbs turn to sugar once ingested. So if you test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite, and you don't go up more than 2 mmol/l, then that meal was perfect for you. If it was more, then it was too carby for your body to process back out again. Carby foods include but are not limited to; cereal, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn and underground veggies, fruits (save for berries in moderation). So what can you eat without spikes? Meat, fish, above ground veggies/leafy greens, eggs, butter, double cream, full fat greek yoghurt, cheese, mushrooms, olives, nuts, seeds... Check Dietdoctor.com for menu suggestions if you like.

After a while, eating like this will result in less severe liver dumps, lower fasting bloodsugars and a much improved HbA1c and control. It won't happen overnight though. Give it a few months, and blow your doc out of the water. I don't know your meds as I don't take any (been diagnosed diabetic 2 years, diet controlled for almost as long, could ditch the meds after 3 months), but if they are known to cause hypo's, keep a close eye on your bloodsugar and keep your doc in the loop, as meds might need to be reduced along the way. And have some jellybabies in your pocket in case of a hypo.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Goonergal

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this has been said many times before but I get so annoyed at people such as rprprp (and most of us at some stage) being chucked out of the surgery or hospital with virtually no idea of how diabetes works in relation to what we eat. It's as if insulin production or non production works independently of anything else. It is a travesty as far as I am concerned. At the very least people should be told about carbs and how they affect glucose levels. Forget that ridiculous eatwell plate, TELL people exactly how carbs affect their bodies, then at least individuals can make an INFORMED decision. When I left the hospital they actually said there are NO restrictions on what you can eat, eat what you want and use your insulin. I know this is advice for type 1 (not sure what they tell type 2's) but even for type 1s this is poor advice. If I did that I am sure my levels would be all over the place, it is setting people up to fail. To my everlasting shame I knew nothing of this when my Mum was having daily issues for many years due to uncontrolled diabetes, my sisters and I would ensure she ate plenty of good old homemade 'good' carbs in the belief we were keeping her healthy. Sorry Mum.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today I had porridge, 6oz burger and chips (normally sandwich), for evening meal it was like cauliflower cheese with kale and crumbled sausage meat from good sausages (was nice !) 2 slices bread, don't have sugary drinks except tea or coffee with 1 tsp sugar.

No wonder you're having problems controlling your diabetes