Under active thyroid

laurenk978

Type 1 diabetic!
Recently hav been told I hav an under active thyroid! After being diagnosed I jst feel it's been 1thing after another! I no gettin regular health checks is good but I feel every time Thers sumthin new that's wrong with me! At least ther finding these things out early b4 they become more severe! But wil it ever end??? In only 25 and feeling a bit down 2b honest! X

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Big hugs, I know it can be really rubbish when things just don't go as planned. There will always be something wrong with us and sometimes the more you look the more you find. But an underactive thyroid would have had a negative effect on your control and hopefully now you're getting treatment for that which in turn will help your control which in it's own way is positive. Underactive thyroid and diabetes is quite common so hopefully somebody who has both can share with you ways that they manage to get by. Good luck merry christmas cuddles.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
i started with thyroid trouble age 21, after having my daughter,it went bk to normal, age 24 after my son i nearlly died with overactive thyroid, it eventually stopped working when i was 26 and ive been on thyroxine ever since (im 40 now) i started with type 1 diabetes 8 yrs ago and endo told me it came hand in hand, tbh the thyroid doesnt cause any trouble for me at all, if i start feeling tireder or putting on weight i just have it checked, ive been on same amount of thyroxine for 6 yrs now so stable,
when you have your diabetic bloods they will prob just check your thyroid,
any questions feel free to ask :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there - I have complete sympathy as I'm type 1 and have an under active thyroid, both are auto immune so it's just unfortunate that they are both most likely linked. At least with the thyroid it's a pill on a lighter note, better than another injection. It's all over whelming to start with but it's good that its been picked up as the side effects are quite unpleasant. It does get easier buy do take care of yourself and don't get down, good luck and big hug.

Reactions: nessa1970

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know the feeling I got told I had under active thyroids in 2012 at the age of 22 after spending a year of having test after test trying to find out why I was feeling so rubbish. Before that I got told I had high cholesterol
it does feel like one thing comes after another and you are just waiting for the next thing to hit you
But you really mustn't let it get to you or you will feel more worse than you already are.

Once all the meds get sorted you will feel a load better

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have type 1 and after having my son 8 years ago blood tests found that my thyroid was practically on the floor. I felt the same as you and it was 'another thing' to go wrong. I then started waiting for the next thing but, apart from high cholesterol, I've been doing fine. Like others have said, when you have been taking the right dose for as little as a week or two, you'll feel so much better. I've been on the same dose for the last 4 years (it seems that with every pregnancy it gets worse!) They do go hand in hand I'm afraid, just be glad it's not something worse.

Best wishes xx

Engcricket

Hey lauren I can completely sympathise. I'm type 1 diagnosed 2011 and diagnosed with under active thyroid 2012. I'm 24 years old and it does feel like its one thing after the other. But as mentioned earlier DM and thyroid are linked both autoimmune also tbh thyroid is relatively easy to manage and once u start taking thyroxine u will notice the difference in energy level.

Also under active thyroid is linked with low mood (symptom of under active) and with tx u may feel better xx

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep..all true from everyone and I relate to them as well..only extra on my part was that whenever it was going 'out of synch' in the early days I would start getting a bit forgetful,and if I left it I believe my friends used the term' you're going doolally again!' Just a phone call to the GP though to ask for a retest would soon put me back on the straight and narrow with a change in medication and then I'd be sorted! :thumbup:
Might take a few months to get sorted but you'll feel a benefit really early on.xx

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm in the club too only the doctor wouldn't diagnose me as hypothyroid so I've spent 5 years feeling **** until they tested for the antibodies and I'm glad to say I'm finally on medication. I would say it took 2 months for me to start to feel better. I''m just now waiting for the weight to drop off! It's good you got an early diagnosis. As to your high cholesterol, once your TSH gets sorted, your LDL should gradually come down.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone had a pregnancy then after giving birth been diagnosed with underactive thyroidism ?

It happened to me - was chugging along well during pregnancy after had our only
daughter [now 28yrs old]
After giving birth 'it just packed up' :eek:
This was picked up in a blood test as was freezing cold in the middle of a scorching hot summer,
plus hair was falling out excessively and could sleep for england,scotland,wales .

Been on thyroxine ever since , get tested twice a year , for thyroid function test TFT .
Appears once a year winter time - an increase of thyroxine meds is needed !
This has only happened SINCE being diagnosed diabetic - so I am inclined to feel,think, one impacts
upon the other?
Skin gets drier, hair sheds more, go more colder [body temp] and lack of energy kicks in .
Can sleep far more than the norm during these times also .

Hypothyriodism and Diabetes is definetely linked both my DSN / Consultant have explained to me .
They see this often in clinic.
Trouble is - the symptoms for both of these conditions can be similar - so it can be confusing sometimes :?

Anna.

Pogo069

I was diagnosed type 1 in 78, under active thyroid in 99 and pernicious anaemia in 09 ... all auto immune conditions and hoping three will be my lot!

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Morganator

I'm going for more blood tests tomorrow as my GP says my thyroid is underactive, also getting kidneys and sodium levels checked again as they are coming back with dodgy levels. Beginning to think that my whole body is playing up, might try the vet next see what he can come up with :)

deejay100

Hello all,
This is my first post on this site.
I also have hypothyroidism, diagnosed about 15 years ago. Last year I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and alongside both of these I also have secondary progressive MS.(All auto-immune diseases). I have some low times, but I try to keep them to a minimum. I have lost count of the blood tests I have had over the past year, and if I could do the 'Hula' I would deafen everyone with the rattle of pills I take.
There will always be someone worse off than me, so I am thankful for all that I do have.
If I spent time bemoaning my illness(s) I would just be making my life more miserable than it needs to be. :wave:

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those here suffering with hypothyroidism, I would be interested to here which anti-bodies you have and also number? I have had a **** thyroid since about the age of 10, never managed to get it diagnosed - tests back then were not good,, also the 'normal' range was higher than it is now. I was usually in the upper 4s or 5s. So only recently got a diagnosis and thyroxine. I seem to get a raging burning throat whenever mine is playing up and it also seems to get worse in the winter with TSH levels going up to about 10, but back down to 2-4 in the summer - vitamin D? Anyway, I've got a few thousand anti-thyroglobulin and now also a raised HbA1c but only to pre-diabetic levels, but obviously LADA is sort of on my mind, if not yet, maybe for the future. So I was wondering which antibodies other sufferers have?

laurenk978

hi guys thanks 4 ur over whelming response!! 4that im gratefull! :thumbup:
ive been on thyroxine 4 about a month and dont seem 2notice any change as of yet?
my symptoms r spotty skin also can b very dry, hair loss an seem 2 hav no energy but yet sit up most nites and sleep most of the day??? :crazy: Im also confused as 2 r these symptoms of the diabetes or is it the thyroid? :crazy:
i hav my 1st app with diabetes consultant cumin up on 23rd of Jan so hopefully they can retest an c if the meds r making a difference!
i hav no children so i can only think that it is linked 2 my diabetes!
i will post again and let yous no how iam gettin on!
thanks again Lauren x

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lauren, can't answer for type 2 symptoms, but dry skin, hair loss, sleeplessness and no energy are definitely linked to thyroid problems. This does not mean that they don't also relate to type 2 - someone else may help you out on that one. Also, you mention that you have no children, does this mean that you have been trying? 'cos reproductive problems are also linked to thyroid. Maybe once you get that one sorted you may feel better and then the type 2 may not seem so daunting. :) High blood sugars do lead to tiredness, and can also prevent you sleeping well at night.

laurenk978

hi half pint! im type1 on insuline both bolus and basil! we wer trying but been advised 2go bk on the pill til i get my bg levels sorted x

laurenk978

Well hello ther ppl! jst a wee update on how iam getting on! thyroxine got increased and iam feeling loads better! and hair is growing bk in on my hairline! so far so good! still on the pill stil no further forward! but starting on a dice course and getting my bg under control slowly but surely! thanks L x

Ray16008

Type 1 diabetic!
Recently hav been told I hav an under active thyroid! After being diagnosed I jst feel it's been 1thing after another! I no gettin regular health checks is good but I feel every time Thers sumthin new that's wrong with me! At least ther finding these things out early b4 they become more severe! But wil it ever end??? In only 25 and feeling a bit down 2b honest! X
Hi Lauren,
Don`t get too down, its along way back up. My late wife had similar problems to you. It took her a long time, patience, me and choccy now and again to right her.My advice - do not give up - it WILL get better.
Ray

Louisette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I have just been diagnosed with an under active thyroid and diabetes 2. So I am following this thread for any tips.