Underactive thyroid

bethan90

Sorry that this isn't specifically diabetic related but I can't find an active forum anywhere for people suffering with hypothyroidism

Background of the story: Have been fighting very hard to lose weight since May 2012. I have lost 24lb altogether, but since about October time it has been extremely slow. I eat healthy and exercise 5-6 times a week, but yet I'm losing now on average about 1-2lb a month. I have also felt extremely tired during this time, always complaining of being cold and hair has been falling out in clumps. It has been falling out since about January/Feb 2012. When I mentioned this to the dietician she said maybe I am lacking in some vitamins/nutrients. I was starting to believe it may be thyroid function as there is a strong family history.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago and I had my annual blood tests done. Saw the nurse who said I need to see the doctor as thyroid function is a bit low. Saw the doctor last week. I explained that I am suffering with a range of symptoms so it makes sense that it's flagged up underactive. I told him I have been taking sea kelp tablets as they are high in iodine and have helped with my hair loss. He has decided to tell me to stop taking the sea kelp and we will wait another 12 weeks before having another blood test and putting me on medication.

12 WEEKS? I feel like death at the moment and I am very frustrated that he has made this decision. I have no idea why he wants to wait before starting me on medication.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I know thyroid function is linked with diabetes, is it common to delay medication as long as possible if someone is diabetic? Are there any contraindications to the medication if the patient is diabetic? He told me that thyroid function doesn't get better without medication so I really don't know why I'm waiting 3 months to be put on to it. :(

L

Luna21

Hi Bethan.

The quick answer to your predicament is that I see no reason for you to have to wait 3 months to take a thyroid test, unless you taking the sea kelp tablets has any bearing on that decision, which even if it does, three months is still a long time to wait.

I have hypothyroidism, and was only diagnosed as diabetic a few months ago. I also have a type of autoimmune arthritis, so I do think, although I can't be positive, that these conditions are connected in some way.

Having an underactive thyroid makes it much more difficult to lose weight, you feel constantly fatigued, where just everything is too much effort, and my hair at least has thinned quite considerably, although I do take other medication which may add to this.

You certainly seem to have many of the symptoms, so if I were you I would go back to your doctor and insist that you get a test done earlier. It's very simple, just a blood test which takes minutes, and from there, hopefully you will get either a diagnosis of thyroid problems, or perhaps another reason for feeling poorly, ie anaemia, which can mimic the same symptoms, but which is easily dealt with.

Unfortunately many doctors in the UK seem to refuse to put patients on a thyroid replacement drug until they reach a certain 'level' (Sorry, I can't remember the exact details offhand) whereas Doctors in the USA are commencing treatment at the lower end of the scale.

I wish you luck, and don't let the Doctor make any excuses. It's your body and you are the one who has to take care of it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have a look at the website of Thyroid UK. I don't know if they have a forum, but it's a very good website with a very comprehensive list of symptoms. I read that, and decided I had most of them! So I printed it out, highlighted the ones I did have, and went to see my GP with it.

I seem to have sub-clinical hypothyroidism - I have never had a thyroid test outside the "normal" range, but my listening GP did just that - listened - and put me on Levothyroxine. I am now on 100mg (mcg?) daily, and I do feel lots better, though I still have slow weight loss and my hair is still thinning :roll: . And I have still never had a test result outside the "normal" range!

Another thing it's worth asking your GP for is a Vitamin D test. You may have problems getting this, as they are apparently expensive, but it seems most people at our latitude come out of the winter with a Vit D deficiency. It's worth Googling that too - look for summaries of research papers. I'm afraid I've misplaced my list of links. I take a supplement daily, 2400IU in summer and 4800IU in winter, which keeps my levels up nicely. Vit D3 is the one to take, as it metabolises easily. I buy it from ebay.

I am not a doctor and not medically qualified whatsoever, so please do your own research, and discuss things with your GP. Get that symptom list from Thyroid UK and go wave it at the GP. I see no reason why you should wait. They'll start you low - 25mg (mcg?) and work up. If you're taking too much you'll get the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, so it's quite easy to tell. It's unlikely that they'll prescribe too much.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)