Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow!
Wish I could have had that amount of testing decades ago.
Just a quick one.
I had a bacterial infection in my gut years ago, called heliocobacter pylori, and causes your gut brain trigger to create an imbalance in your blood, the successful antibiotic treatment could have also caused some issues, I'm told.
Despite your negative results, you still could have issues with your gut biotic.

Fasting and caloric intake should be quite straightforward balance to find.
Portion size is important in low carb lifestyle. You can alter it to gain weight as well. But again testing and experimentation is useful.
B12, as is other vitamins. For some weird reason, I don't have this sort of deficiency despite my restrictive diet.

I still need an interpreter tho for some of your post!

Best wishes on your forthcoming tests.

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Wow!
Just a quick one.
I had a bacterial infection in my gut years ago, called heliocobacter pylori, and causes your gut brain trigger to create an imbalance in your blood, the successful antibiotic treatment could have also caused some issues, I'm told.
Despite your negative results, you still could have issues with your gut biotic.

Portion size is important in low carb lifestyle. You can alter it to gain weight as well. But again testing and experimentation is useful.
B12, as is other vitamins. For some weird reason, I don't have this sort of deficiency despite my restrictive diet.

Hey Lamont--

Thanks for the input.

I agree a small intestine bacterial overgrowth could be the problem. I've had a SIBO breath test and it was negative BUT they tested only for hydrogen gas, not methane as well. I will have this test repeated in the future as the symptoms are a pretty good match for my clinical phenotype and the test is sometimes hit or miss, as I understand.

With regard to B12 insufficiency or deficiency, the quick and easy (and inexpensive) test is to take a B12 supplement for a week to see if any improvements occur. Most folks agree that Methylcobalamin (not Cyanocobalamin) is the best form to take since the body does not have to break down the cyano into methyl and adeno; so the Methylcobalamin is ready to do its job. I would take a 5 mg lozenge (under the tongue) but for the first time, cut it in half. Second day, a full 5 mg; the same 5 mg for days 3 through 7. But check with your doctor first.

If there are no B12 pathway blockages (which are rare) and you DO have a B12 deficiency, you will have good results within a week--B12 is that fast. There is no prescribed upper dosage limit for Methylcobalamin BUT, as is the case with any medication/supplement, do not take more than needed. If you feel uncomfortable after taking it, of course, discontinue!

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ChetRoi,
Thanks for all the information. Endocrinology will be my next port of call but I imagine I will be back on a huge NHS waiting list to get there, hopefully not another 6 months this time! That's great that you have been able to access such a variety of tests relatively quickly.
Sorry to hear of your daughters issues. This may be coincidence but my sister has hypermobile joints, bruises easily and has ongoing digestive complaints which I understand can be part of Ehlers-Danlos. Her symptoms were fairly mild until the past year or so, when she has developed more severe joint pain, and several other symptoms that overlap with my own such as fatigue, light sensitivity, brain fog and struggling for words. She also gets the visual disturbances/painless migraines that you describe. I have two female cousins who also have similarities, one with fatigue and recurrent dizzy spells, and another with more severe symptoms like my own which have led to our hospitalisation a couple of times. She has been labelled with fibromyalgia and has been denied any further investigation. I am the oldest and the only one with seizures and carb-induced ascending neuropathy as yet. I have been unable to convince any of them to try a ketogenic diet so far, and I don't want to scare them with the thought of disease progression until I have more concrete information on what is going on, but it is a worry. I feel responsible for getting to the bottom of this for all of us! 4 symptomatic females (aged 19-33), daughters of 3 brothers (aged 50-60, none of whom have any health issues at present). Their mother (my grandmother) had chronic fatigue and epilepsy, possibly other relevant symptoms too but unfortunately passed away several years ago.
I am off to order some B12 lozenges (maybe I can convince family members to try that at least!), I look forward to hearing more from you soon. Best of luck on getting to the bottom of this.
Dionne

Reactions: ChetRoi

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ChetRoi,
A couple of questions for you! Have you already had homocysteine and MMA levels tested and shown to be elevated?
Also did your doctors (or yourself!) have any thoughts on the relevance of your SNPs in TCN2? I haven't had a chance to read too deeply into transcolbalamin deficiency yet, most of what I have read details extremely severe deficits presenting in early years due to homozygous mutation, but I'm encouraged by some newer work that shows late onset symptoms to a milder degree in heterozygotes...could TCN2 be at the root of this or do you feel there is more at play?

The only aspect of B12 I have had tested is the standard total B12 which was normal. I've just been to the doctor to state my case and request MMA and homocysteine tests but was told he can't do it for me, so I have just paid for some private testing. I've also signed up for 23andMe in the hope that I can access some sequencing data for possible relevant genes.

I have taken methylcobalamin for 3 days and there appears to be magic happening... I have so much energy I have been unable to sleep well the past couple of nights (definitely not complaining!) :) Only 1.5mg capsules while I wait for higher dose sublingual to arrive. I had tried these same capsules last year when symptoms were at their worst and saw no obvious effect so discontinued, but that was before I started the ketogenic diet.

If I have blood samples taken for MMA and HC next week, would you recommend I stop supplements until these tests are complete? I'm concerned about masking any deficit.

B12 was one of the first things I asked about when I was hospitalised, I wrote it off when I was told that my levels were absolutely fine and that B12 had nothing to do with it. Thankyou so much for bringing this back into my focus!

Best wishes,
Dionne

Reactions: ChetRoi

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi ChetRoi,
A couple of questions for you! Have you already had homocysteine and MMA levels tested and shown to be elevated?
Also did your doctors (or yourself!) have any thoughts on the relevance of your SNPs in TCN2? I haven't had a chance to read too deeply into transcolbalamin deficiency yet, most of what I have read details extremely severe deficits presenting in early years due to homozygous mutation, but I'm encouraged by some newer work that shows late onset symptoms to a milder degree in heterozygotes...could TCN2 be at the root of this or do you feel there is more at play?

The only aspect of B12 I have had tested is the standard total B12 which was normal. I've just been to the doctor to state my case and request MMA and homocysteine tests but was told he can't do it for me, so I have just paid for some private testing. I've also signed up for 23andMe in the hope that I can access some sequencing data for possible relevant genes.

I have taken methylcobalamin for 3 days and there appears to be magic happening... I have so much energy I have been unable to sleep well the past couple of nights (definitely not complaining!) :) Only 1.5mg capsules while I wait for higher dose sublingual to arrive. I had tried these same capsules last year when symptoms were at their worst and saw no obvious effect so discontinued, but that was before I started the ketogenic diet.

If I have blood samples taken for MMA and HC next week, would you recommend I stop supplements until these tests are complete? I'm concerned about masking any deficit.

B12 was one of the first things I asked about when I was hospitalised, I wrote it off when I was told that my levels were absolutely fine and that B12 had nothing to do with it. Thankyou so much for bringing this back into my focus!

Best wishes,
Dionne

Hi Dionne—

Glad to hear about the progress you are making.

Let me share a few data points with you concerning methylcobalamin (MeCbl) and its use.

First, the BIG rule of thumb with supplements (as you may know) is
“Start low, go slow.” As you are getting a significant result at 1.5 mg, I would not increase the dosage at this time. In fact, I would consider halving it.

Keep in mind MeCbl is a bioactive form of cobalamin, meaning it will provide methylation to other cellular processes in your body. It is possible that you are NOT cobalamin deficient but that the sudden energy increase is due strictly to the suddenly increased methylation. (Also, be aware that there is medical opinion that the B12 blood test reference range is set too high and that values in the low 400s should be considered as clinically “low”, not falling within the reference range.)

By all means, stop the MeCbl (and any other cobalamin OR folate supplementation) well before the MMA and HCY testing. (I would wait at least a week—very important!). In my case, I did not learn of the MMA and HCY tests until after I had begun MeCbl supplementation so, unfortunately, I had no valid basis to compare.

But it was very obvious in my case with the first MeCbl sublingual I took. Before that, I was close to needing a walker just to get around in my house. Any physical effort using my calf muscles caused that immediate burning pain we have all experienced when overstressing leg muscles (e.g., from too much bicycle pedaling). Within 18 hours of the first MeCbl, my legs felt much stronger and much more stable. Note the difference between this response and strictly an imparted methylation one. Because I had a clear cobalamin deficiency—my muscles and nerves were damaged and for such a long time--I did not intend to stop the supplementation for subsequent verification testing.

IMO, you should proceed with the MMA and HCY testing after a one-week MeCbl abatement. If they show an out of reference range result(s), consult with your Doc for further testing. If they are not out of RR, we may lean toward a possible cellular methylation problem and you should see a biochemical geneticist. But be prepared to get shoulder shrugs because there is so much for clinicians yet to learn about Inborn Errors of Metabolism (IEM). Many do not yet understand that protein expression presents on a gradient; it is not a binary outcome. That fact is why we have “late onset” IEMs as well as those found in newborns.

The genetic testing offered by 23andme is cursory. Yours will probably show methylation deficits but not much more that is useful. Keep in mind that the readout is usually nonspecific and only general guidance for the geneticist, if that. This is true because some folks with methylation deficient alleles (cellular mutations--SNPs) show no symptoms at all; again, medical science has much to learn here.

You may find yourself, over time, with no further diagnosis even though you have apparently demonstrated a hypomethylation situation. In this case, you may opt to continue to take MeCbl on a permanent basis to more “normalize” cellular processes. But a few words of caution here:

There are numerous scholarly papers extolling the benefits of MeCbl supplementation but there are also a few that assert it can cause increased growth of cancerous cells. In my personal situation, I have judged for myself for it to have a low risk of malignancy, and I am a former cancer patient. So, by hypermethylating your cellular processes, you may “activate” ALL processes, some of which may be detrimental to your well-being. YMMV. Keep in mind, though, MeCbl is widely used—at least in the United States.

The cautions are, of course, important to understand. This is why we take no more of a supplement than is necessary to do the job. Sometime “how much” is not obvious but I judge the best I can by body response and try to err on the low side. So, again: Start low, go slow.

With regard to the wakefulness…this is a common side effect of MeCbl supplementation. I take MeCbl at wake-up and only then—just once a day. If sleep remains disturbed for more than a week, consider reducing the amount of MeCbl you are taking. This side-effect passes over time for some people.

With regard to the transcobalamin issues—this is a rare B12 pathway metabolic error. The test for it is called an Unsaturated B12 Binding Capacity (transcobalamin) blood test—very specialized and not inexpensive. It measures the ability of your system to transport B12 to cells for necessary processes (e.g., metabolism). The standard B12 blood test cannot detect this genetic error. Should you decide to ask for this test, you MUST halt all B12 supplementation for at least one week prior to testing. Further, some labs offer this test only one day of the week so check ahead to get the draw date synced up with your B12 abatement.

If you wish to add another test after you have been off the B12 for a week, I’d add in a CBC with differential to examine your platelets. Low platelets can indicate B12 deficiency. If your platelets are low and do not normalize after MeCbl supplementation has been going for two weeks, it may imply more of a problem than B12 deficiency.

I am meeting with a biochemical geneticist next month and will discuss the TCN2 issue with her. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Your statement that “I had tried these same (1.5 mg MeCbl) capsules last year when symptoms were at their worst and saw no obvious effect so discontinued, but that was before I started the ketogenic diet.” is interesting to me. It indicates that to you there may be a relationship between ingested MeCbl and a glucose metabolite. I see such a relationship in my system but it is the inverse of your situation: when I take MeCbl, it reduces the numbness caused by carbohydrate consumption.

If you have more questions, I will try to answer. My own experience, BTW, has taught me clinicians are far from knowing all the answers but many will respond to patient research when offered to them as just an aid, but not a diagnosis. I don’t read any dubiousness of the usefulness of clinicians in your post but this thought reflects my own past errors in working with physicians many of who do not know much about genetics. We walk a narrow path sometimes.

Last edited:

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ChetRoi,

Thanks for your insight. I will hold off on any more MeCbl until these tests are done. Do you think it may also be worth incorporating more carbohydrate into my diet in the days before testing?
I know that muscle burn well! When symptoms peaked early last year it was hard to walk properly because of it, it improved during the weeks of rest that followed but only to a point. Holding my arms up only briefly would result in burning. For me it was 2-3 days into ketogenic eating that this massively improved. It appears again after eating carbs, along with the numbness, some shooting bone pain and tinnitus. All mostly on my right side but there are hints of this now happening more on the left side too. This also happen to a milder degree during oestrogen peaks, regardless of how strict my eating has been, I assume some interplay between oestrogen and carbohydrate metabolism but have still to look into this more.

I wonder if it is also relevant to mention that both times I have been hospitalised with severe symptoms were just after starting medication - once a few days into a trial of the anti-epileptic carbamazepine, and the second time after two consecutive courses of antibiotics for assumed sinus infection. I wonder if this could be B12 depletion due to the medication? Or as you say it may not be colbalamin that is my issue, but some other aspect of metabolism. I have always had the impression that I don't tolerate medicines well, prone to adverse reactions and rashes.

Maybe had I tried AdCbl instead of/as well as MeCbl last year I might have seen an improvment in nerve/muscle symptoms if it is the adeno- form that is required for healthy myelin. Do the two inter-convert efficiently? Or maybe the conversion is my issue... I will trial the different forms in isolation when I resume supplements.

I have been lucky to find a new open-minded doctor who admits he doesn't have all of the answers, as none of us do! Others have become very defensive when I (very politely!) suggest things. There have also been those who think my symptoms are down to anxiety, or can be fixed with anti-depressants, and that my association between carbs and neuropathy is psychosomatic... it's certainly a tricky balance having the confidence to suggest things without causing offence.

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi ChetRoi,

Thanks for your insight. I will hold off on any more MeCbl until these tests are done. Do you think it may also be worth incorporating more carbohydrate into my diet in the days before testing?

I would continue with the keto diet as you have applied it.

I know that muscle burn well! When symptoms peaked early last year it was hard to walk properly because of it, it improved during the weeks of rest that followed but only to a point. Holding my arms up only briefly would result in burning. For me it was 2-3 days into ketogenic eating that this massively improved. It appears again after eating carbs, along with the numbness, some shooting bone pain and tinnitus.

I also have (infrequent) tibial shooting pain and suddenly worsening tinnitus. How long have you had sinusitis, how often have you taken antibiotics for it, and which antibiotic? (Ongoing infection is also a symptom of B12 deficiency.)

Maybe had I tried AdCbl instead of/as well as MeCbl last year I might have seen an improvment in nerve/muscle symptoms if it is the adeno- form that is required for healthy myelin. Do the two inter-convert efficiently? Or maybe the conversion is my issue... I will trial the different forms in isolation when I resume supplements.

Typically, a person titrates MeCbl to the "best" level, then adds in smaller amounts of MethylFolate (bioactive B-9, which works intimately with MeCbl). Subsequently, add in a small amount of Adenosylcobalamin (AdoCbl). AdoCbl improved my apparent connective tissue inelasticity. Once you have a formula of these supplements that work well for you, stop taking one at a time to confirm the beneficial effect of the supplement. (i.e., the benefit should stop when no longer taking the supplement.)

Cyanocobalamin, the B-12 form everyone buys in the store, must be converted by the body to both MeCbl and AdoCbl before it can be used. MeCbl has effect in the cellular cytosol, AdoCbl is used by the cellular mitochondria. This why we often take both bioactive types of B-12 in lieu of Cyanocobalamin. Also, some folks cannot break down the cyano into its bioactive cofactors of MeCbl and AdoCbl.

I started MeFolate about 4 months after starting MeCbl. The dramatic change was in my lipid panel results. Lipids improved across the board between about 25% to 50%. IMO, you should run a lipid panel before restarting supplementation and a couple of months or so afterward to observe any change.

Every six months, I get the following blood tests:
Lipid panel
CBC with differential
Reticulocyte panel (if reticulocytes have ever shown out of the RR)
CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel - glucose level, electrolyte and fluid balance, kidney function, and liver function.)

A question--Have you ever been exposed to organophosphates or other similar type poison (pesticide)?

Last edited:

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been prone to sinusitis for as long as I can remember, and had a fairly constant low level of discomfort from them since my teens. Usually every time I had a common cold my sinuses would flare up and would take weeks to settle back to baseline. I'm also very sensitive to weather changes to low pressure, I can tell a storm is coming when my brain feels swollen ;) I unfortunately don't have these records but have had antibiotics for sinus infection maybe 5 times in past 10 years, usually amoxicillin. Last year's flare of symptoms began with numbness that started 4 days into a course of doxycycline. I had a run of infections the preceding months; chest infection, stomach virus, then cold/sinus infection. My grandmother had fairly constant sinusitis and it's an increasing issue for my sister who also has cystic acne. My cousin who has chronic pain has recurrent UTI. So there is certainly some recurrent infection in the family. Both sister and cousin have digestive issues too. I had a spell of gastritis/possible stomach ulcer in 2012 but no cultures or tests done to determine H. pylori or other cause. It was treated with omeprazole.

The ketogenic diet has reduced my sinusitis to almost none. Has diet/b12 also improved this for you?

The only pesticide exposure I have had was in 2014 to a nicotinamide whilst pregnant. A plant growth facility at work had been sprayed without our knowledge, I had dizziness and nausea briefly but no lasting effects.
My symptoms of numbness, muscle burn etc. had already appeared briefly before this point, in 2011 after the carbemazepine.

Have you had MRI of spine? My worst neuropathy symptoms affect c6 and s2 dermatomes. A herniated disc was found at c5/c6 but no mention of degeneration of the cord itself, and only head and neck were screened. Damage to dorsal root ganglia may explain our pattern of neuropathy? As I understand it they have high permeability so may be sensitive to toxic metabolites from carb dysmetabolism? I have some permanent numbness of heel and thumb/forefinger but sensation slowly returns everywhere else, maybe a gradual clearing of these metabolites, or possibly regeneration? I assume that the more often this assault happens, the more chance there is of permanent damage. So I should probably keep my carb challenges to a minimum...

Out of interest, is medicine your scientific background?

Best wishes,
Dionne

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ChetRoi

I must admit to having a bit of a problem distinguishing between your words and the quoted texts in your posts.

Any chance that you could give references for the source of the info when it isn't your own words?
Members often like to follow links back to the original websites and medical information, plus the forum has to be careful about plagiarism, so always best to give references, where possible.

Having said that, I am extremely impressed with the frequency and variety of the tests you have undergone.
Are you from the UK?

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I've been prone to sinusitis for as long as I can remember, and had a fairly constant low level of discomfort from them since my teens. Usually every time I had a common cold my sinuses would flare up and would take weeks to settle back to baseline. I'm also very sensitive to weather changes to low pressure, I can tell a storm is coming when my brain feels swollen ;) I unfortunately don't have these records but have had antibiotics for sinus infection maybe 5 times in past 10 years, usually amoxicillin. Last year's flare of symptoms began with numbness that started 4 days into a course of doxycycline. I had a run of infections the preceding months; chest infection, stomach virus, then cold/sinus infection. My grandmother had fairly constant sinusitis and it's an increasing issue for my sister who also has cystic acne. My cousin who has chronic pain has recurrent UTI. So there is certainly some recurrent infection in the family. Both sister and cousin have digestive issues too. I had a spell of gastritis/possible stomach ulcer in 2012 but no cultures or tests done to determine H. pylori or other cause. It was treated with omeprazole.

The ketogenic diet has reduced my sinusitis to almost none. Has diet/b12 also improved this for you?

The only pesticide exposure I have had was in 2014 to a nicotinamide whilst pregnant. A plant growth facility at work had been sprayed without our knowledge, I had dizziness and nausea briefly but no lasting effects.
My symptoms of numbness, muscle burn etc. had already appeared briefly before this point, in 2011 after the carbemazepine.

Have you had MRI of spine? My worst neuropathy symptoms affect c6 and s2 dermatomes. A herniated disc was found at c5/c6 but no mention of degeneration of the cord itself, and only head and neck were screened. Damage to dorsal root ganglia may explain our pattern of neuropathy? As I understand it they have high permeability so may be sensitive to toxic metabolites from carb dysmetabolism? I have some permanent numbness of heel and thumb/forefinger but sensation slowly returns everywhere else, maybe a gradual clearing of these metabolites, or possibly regeneration? I assume that the more often this assault happens, the more chance there is of permanent damage. So I should probably keep my carb challenges to a minimum...

Out of interest, is medicine your scientific background?

Best wishes,
Dionne

Hi Dionne, finally getting back.

"The ketogenic diet has reduced my sinusitis to almost none. Has diet/b12 also improved this for you?"

I've had sinusitis since my days as a teenager; I'm approaching 71. The essentially life-long infections stopped with MeCbl repletion a little more than four years ago. I typically got three or four sinus infections annually that required three weeks of doxy to resolve.

"Have you had MRI of spine? "

Yes, about three years ago, investigating Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord. Relatively easy to diagnose--it has a characteristic butterfly appearance in the imaging. I did not have it suggesting my B12 problem either had not progressed to that point or, the problem was not a B12 deficiency at all.

I do not understand very well the neurological aspects of this disease. Can't comment on "Damage to dorsal root ganglia may explain our pattern of neuropathy" but I'll put it on my list to investigate; I, too, am most interested in syndrome commonality between us.

"I have some permanent numbness of heel and thumb/forefinger but sensation slowly returns everywhere else, maybe a gradual clearing of these metabolites, or possibly regeneration? I assume that the more often this assault happens, the more chance there is of permanent damage. So I should probably keep my carb challenges to a minimum..."

IMO, the damage will become permanent if enough assaults occur. Fingers/toes/feet are first because the disease attacks long nerves (axons, in my case) first.

"Out of interest, is medicine your scientific background?"

No, I'm not a student of medicine. Simply a case of a research interest borne of necessity. Truth be told, my background is counterintelligence and white hat hacking--medically retired ten years ago.

Finally, I want to give you a heads-up. Partly based on information from you about your signs and symptoms, I am investigating more deeply the possibility of a rare form of a diabetes-like condition, one in which MeCbl and alpha lipoic acid are antagonists to the toxic metabolitic byproducts produced when the carb dysmetabolism occurs, that I think may be behind this pathology.

Last edited:
Reactions: DionneT

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ChetRoi

I must admit to having a bit of a problem distinguishing between your words and the quoted texts in your posts.

Any chance that you could give references for the source of the info when it isn't your own words?
Members often like to follow links back to the original websites and medical information, plus the forum has to be careful about plagiarism, so always best to give references, where possible.

Having said that, I am extremely impressed with the frequency and variety of the tests you have undergone.
Are you from the UK?

Hi @Brunneria --

Thanks for the interest in my posts. I confess confusion though over your reference to "quoted texts". I would have to go back and review my posts but in general, I do not offer quotes. One that does come to mind was from a cell biopsy; it was clearly identified as such. If you have encountered something I have posted that to you is of questionable accuracy or appears to be the work of others, put it out here so I can address it. I do strive to use medical terms whenever possible--I have found clinicians actually *listen* instead of pushing out a dismissive suggestion of one's mental state when you can speak with understanding in their more precise language.

You've asked about my methods and perhaps motives; I understand policing of BBs so I'll open the kimono a bit for you. I do a good bit of research and often apply and discuss my findings when apropos. And I have been accused of being anal--a fair criticism as my diagnostic odyssey continues on and on and on, some of it on behalf of my bed-ridden youngest daughter in pain management for over ten years now and just diagnosed with Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I have been keeping daily excel spreadsheets for more than four years. And tracking of more than a year's worth of daily consumables, broken out by macronutrient until last year when my keto diet was well established and I learned no physician I had been seeing had an interest in them.

I have learned that in the absence of both professional medical leadership and basic scientific curiosity, trend spotting is one of the best tools the patient can use. It's also important to track the testing that I've done--in particular, supplementation testing because there are so many options, and dosage plus interactions are very important to review.

Since your questions implied an interest in my bonafides, I will tell you my research and subsequent trials are the reason I am not in a wheelchair today--or worse. In the United States where I live (Florida), clinicians have their practices and druthers; they simply are not interested in dealing with zebras. That is a fact. And one does not waltz into a Mayo Clinic for tertiary center care--their triage effort can exclude you ("your case is too complex for us").

Now, going forward I certainly can and am willing to cite the scholarly papers I draw information from, although I will mention some of them will not be reachable for less than US $35.00 because they are recently published and vended through portals.

In general, a lot can be learned by anyone interested in doing the research work through www.scholar.google.com. And that especially includes physicians whose clinical practice office routine often does not include time to read journals in their own discipline. It's too bad because folks like myself and others who were drawn to post in these forums might then have a more realistic chance for a diagnosis instead of having to spend so much time carrying the water in an area in which we lack formal training.

Sorry I could not be more sun-shiny but today this is about my best.

Reactions: DionneT

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dionne, finally getting back.

"The ketogenic diet has reduced my sinusitis to almost none. Has diet/b12 also improved this for you?"

I've had sinusitis since my days as a teenager; I'm approaching 71. The essentially life-long infections stopped with MeCbl repletion a little more than four years ago. I typically got three or four sinus infections annually that required three weeks of doxy to resolve.

"Have you had MRI of spine? "

Yes, about three years ago, investigating Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord. Relatively easy to diagnose--it has a characteristic butterfly appearance in the imaging. I did not have it suggesting my B12 problem either had not progressed to that point or, the problem was not a B12 deficiency at all.

I do not understand very well the neurological aspects of this disease. Can't comment on "Damage to dorsal root ganglia may explain our pattern of neuropathy" but I'll put it on my list to investigate; I, too, am most interested in syndrome commonality between us.

"I have some permanent numbness of heel and thumb/forefinger but sensation slowly returns everywhere else, maybe a gradual clearing of these metabolites, or possibly regeneration? I assume that the more often this assault happens, the more chance there is of permanent damage. So I should probably keep my carb challenges to a minimum..."

IMO, the damage will become permanent if enough assaults occur. Fingers/toes/feet are first because the disease attacks long nerves (axons, in my case) first.

"Out of interest, is medicine your scientific background?"

No, I'm not a student of medicine. Simply a case of a research interest borne of necessity. Truth be told, my background is counterintelligence and white hat hacking--medically retired ten years ago.

Finally, I want to give you a heads-up. Partly based on information from you about your signs and symptoms, I am investigating more deeply the possibility of a rare form of a diabetes-like condition, one in which MeCbl and alpha lipoic acid are antagonists to the toxic metabolitic byproducts produced when the carb dysmetabolism occurs, that I think may be behind this pathology.
Hi ChetRoi, thanks for getting back to me. Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord has dominated my reading for the past couple of days and was my next thing to ask you about, but you have already ruled that out so I will move on!

The rare diabetes-like condition sounds intriguing, is this something that has been identified before or something entirely new? Would that be the possible means by which the MeCbl had little to no effect on me pre-keto, because it would be sequestered by the toxic metabolite?

One more symptom that I don't think I have mentioned yet but may be relevant involves joints - I had ongoing pain/clicking of TMJ for years (right side, same as most symptoms) and this largely resolved with a ketogenic diet. After carb challenge this comes back, along with pain and 'looseness' of right knee joint and clicking of spine.

Has your daughter had any relief from b12 supplements or carb restriction?

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi ChetRoi, thanks for getting back to me. Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord has dominated my reading for the past couple of days and was my next thing to ask you about, but you have already ruled that out so I will move on!

The rare diabetes-like condition sounds intriguing, is this something that has been identified before or something entirely new? Would that be the possible means by which the MeCbl had little to no effect on me pre-keto, because it would be sequestered by the toxic metabolite?

One more symptom that I don't think I have mentioned yet but may be relevant involves joints - I had ongoing pain/clicking of TMJ for years (right side, same as most symptoms) and this largely resolved with a ketogenic diet. After carb challenge this comes back, along with pain and 'looseness' of right knee joint and clicking of spine.

Has your daughter had any relief from b12 supplements or carb restriction?

My daughter responded well to MeCbl over a year ago but it exacerbated her pain. Her pain levels at the time were 7-8 when under very strong pain management. She has permanent damage to her stomach lining, a lot of vomiting; some carbs are the only thing she can sometimes keep down.

Here's a link to a summary of a new finding (about one year old): http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(18)30114-1
"Elevated Levels of the Reactive Metabolite Methylglyoxal Recapitulate Progression of Type 2 Diabetes"

I'm just starting to look at it; haven't purchased the article yet (Cell Metabolism) from the portal. The research was done with flies, not human subjects but that's not unusual. Point is it's leading edge and can offer educated ideas.

"Would that be the possible means by which the MeCbl had little to no effect on me pre-keto, because it would be sequestered by the toxic metabolite?"

This is a puzzle. Try to think of things that may have been different the first time you took MeCbl.

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Wow!
Just a quick one.

Lamont--

I expect you haven't had this type of testing but have you had anyone measure your methylation status, or have you gotten any indication your system is hypomethylated? While I am not suggesting this, one way to test is to take a methylated supplement (e.g., methylcobalamin) to determine if symptoms such as fatigue are reduced or eliminated. Another way to get some indication, though not precise by any measure, is to determine if you have genetic mutations (and which ones) in the MTHFR gene. Lots of research being done to understand this gene and its more commonplace mutations.

Comments from you and some others in the UK indicate to me that medical testing is not as commonplace in the UK as in the US but I wanted to ask because it is possible my symptoms are less from a B12 deficiency than from systemic hypomethylation, so I am probing in this area.

I will be asking a biochemical geneticist next week about this possibility but I was curious if you had any such experience.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lamont--

I expect you haven't had this type of testing but have you had anyone measure your methylation status, or have you gotten any indication your system is hypomethylated? While I am not suggesting this, one way to test is to take a methylated supplement (e.g., methylcobalamin) to determine if symptoms such as fatigue are reduced or eliminated. Another way to get some indication, though not precise by any measure, is to determine if you have genetic mutations (and which ones) in the MTHFR gene. Lots of research being done to understand this gene and its more commonplace mutations.

Comments from you and some others in the UK indicate to me that medical testing is not as commonplace in the UK as in the US but I wanted to ask because it is possible my symptoms are less from a B12 deficiency than from systemic hypomethylation, so I am probing in this area.

I will be asking a biochemical geneticist next week about this possibility but I was curious if you had any such experience.

My last full blood panel done last October, was clear for anything tested for, I have not the methylation test, not that I know of, but I have had my genetic tested, apparently I have not got anything but normal (!!!) Genes!
No B12 deficiencies, or other deficiencies, this I have had the tests,
Intolerance, or should I say, a weak initial insulin response, caused by carbs, triggers a secondary response that causes an overshoot of insulin. It is this overshoot that is my only health issue.
I had known about my lactose intolerance from childhood, I just can't eat certain other foods, it does seem I am carb intolerant I the fifteen years or so. I never knew until I started testing and experimentation that carbs in general were causing my weight gain and health issues particularly, my organs, liver especially, and to a certain degree my kidney and by extension my pancreas.
I have been rereading about the heliocobacter pylori and what it can do to your gut brain trigger. It has convinced me more that having this stomach problems, along with my lifestyle altered my organs, reaction to digestion. I'm not certain, that I do believe that it altered my beta cells response, I did read that hyperinsulinaemia was causing the symptoms, and having insulin resistance and high circulating insulin, added to my problems.
My endocrinologist gave me a list of symptoms that I ticked of for him, I recognised about fifteen and during our talk to the replies another seven or eight became obvious, the difference that the change in lifestyle has accomplished is remarkable in such a short time initially after diagnosis.
Hence all the tests, including allergies.
It took all my resolve and my food diary to convince him that either fasting and eating very small meals along with pieces of fruit was my balance.
Numerous eOGTTs, numerous blood panels, monitoring my glucose levels, my insulin levels tested, GAD, and tests for depression, anxiety, even dementia!!
I think that if I was in the US, because of my upbringing, education and though I have worked all my life, I don't think I would have been able to afford the health care I have received thanks to the U.K.s health service.
If not for the NHS, I don't believe I would have been referred to my specialist endocrinologist as good as mine. His credentials and achievements are very high, university papers and degrees, including a professor of medicine.
He did actually save my life, because all the other health practitioners, I saw, didn't have a clue.

I wish you well on your journey!

Hope you get to the bottom of how the symptoms affect you!

Best wishes.

J_Eicher

Hi @ChetRoi and @DionneT ! I came across both of your postings today, and was wondering whether you've made further progress in terms of your diagnoses.

I'm a 28-year-old woman with no other health problems (no diabetes or autoimmune disorders), and have struggled with small fibre neuropathy for a year now (still only sensory impairment at this stage, without motor involvement). About 75% of my body is affected. I also have awful fatigue, as well as recurring unexplained tendon/ligament issues despite being mostly inactive (I used to be a runner, but have been unable to exercise much over the last few months, due to these issues).

Like you, I seem to have some kind of difficulty in metabolising carbohydrates, or high GI meals. Ever since the neuropathy started, I would get severe postprandial flare-ups that perfectly correlate with my blood sugar levels. The burning (not numbness) will start increasing about 10 minutes after eating, peak at around an hour, then plateau, and drop off after 1.5 hours or so. Essentially, as soon as insulin kicks in, the symptoms get better. I've basically investigated everything under the sun, and no one can provide me with an explanation (I also had the OGTT done - all normal). Doctors think I'm mad, when I say that eating causes these symptoms.

Like others, I've recently adopted a keto diet, which is the only thing that alleviates my symptoms. I've also cut out all food allergens since Feb 2018 (all grains, dairy, gluten, sugar, soy, corn etc etc) without significant improvement. I feel my best on keto, or when I'm fasting entirely. At the same time, I'm trying to ascertain whether the actual damage is being caused by the carbs/blood sugar spikes, or whether that's simply the damaged nerves momentarily reacting to changes in environment (I.e. sensitivity to BG increases, and not to carbs per se). I've come across a few people who know the cause of their neuropathy (including Hashimoto's disease and chemotherapy), who also say that BG spikes of any sort will exacerbate their symptoms, even though BG isn't causing the damage. So that's worth considering.

What I do know for sure, is that my neuropathy was triggered by a fairly major dietary change. I was very restrictive with my diet for five years (to be fair, it was a moderate eating disorder) and I lost about 12kg. During that time, I was in peak health, and barely even got a cold. I never had any of the above symptoms, and had no nutritional deficiencies. Once I came to my senses and started trying to regain weight rapidly, all of this started, and nothing has been successful in stopping it. Alpha lipoic acid and B12 have a minimal effect.

Current theories are intestinal permeability (aka leaky gut), and I have just had a stool analysis identifying major gut dysbiosis (but not SIBO). The immunologist said that this might be causing lipopolysaccharide toxaemia (look it up). I'm having further tests to verify leaky gut (urine and serum), as well as to check for lipopolysaccharide antibodies, which would confirm this diagnosis. Most conventional practitioners aren't knowledgeable about things like leaky gut, but it's certainly a major cause of 'idiopathic' conditions like these. I'm truly hoping that this is the case with me... I worry that my years of caloric restriction and limited carb ingestion somehow permanently messed up something in my endocrine system.

Please let me know regarding your progress.

Regards,

Jana

DionneT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @J_Eicher! Unfortunately I still have no diagnosis, doctors currently think I need psychiatric referral!! Trying to stay positive and keep pushing forward, but it's not easy when you are told it's all in your head! My favourite theory involves intracellular potassium shift... when you eat carbs, insulin is produced and starts doing its job within minutes, pushing glucose into cells and potassium goes with it. This leaves less potassium behind in the blood. The drop in serum potassium is normally small enough to not be a problem but some people are very sensitive to it, due directly to mutations in ion channels or secondary to endocrine diseases like thyroid or adrenal problems, also autoimmune diseases and kidney conditions. The change in potassium can cause problems with nerve/muscle cell polarisation so can stop them working properly until potassium normalises. There is a genetic condition called hypokalemic periodic paralysis where sufferers are temporarily paralysed (often triggered rapidly by carbs)... I am forever grateful that I only get numbness/buzzing/burning as I can't imagine how scary temporary paralysis must be! I've been in touch with a community of people genetically diagnosed with this condition and several have mentioned that they get sensory rather than motor symptoms. Lots of mention of ongoing muscle spasm/pain between flare-ups. I have a potassium meter at home and I've done carb tests where I've seen my serum potassium drop by 0.7mmol/L just 30 mins after carbs (when my numbness starts). My levels are always within normal range but it seems the rate of the drop is more important than the level itself.

I can imagine that the same sort of thing might happen in people who make too much insulin (have you had insulin levels checked?) or are highly insulin-sensitive. So it's not the carbs/blood sugar as such that causes the problems it could be our response to the resulting insulin.

My kidneys are fine, I've had autoimmune diseases ruled out, still waiting on some final endocrine results, and I'm working on the genetic side, I see a clinical geneticist/neurologist in a few weeks so will keep you posted :)

Hope you are coping okay. The fatigue is definitely the worst bit of this for me. I was also really fit, lots of running before this hit me last year. I'm still working but i'm not sure how much longer I can keep up the pace. My main pick-me-ups were a good run and a nice bit of cake, sadly can't have either at the moment! :( Alcohol also triggers my flare-ups, as does illness like cold/flu. Menstrual cycle is also a big part. Have you identified any other triggers apart from carbs?

All the best,
Dionne

ChetRoi

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi @DionneT and @J_Eicher,

I have just begun a personal trial of a supplement widely used for glucose regulation. It’s early for me to draw a conclusion but the result in eliminating the acute carb-induced distal numbness over the past two weeks has been dramatic.

Berberine is known to many endocrinologists. I am taking 500 mg just before each meal, i.e., t.i.d. and have found not only carb-heavy meals but even added well-sugared desserts do not cause the distal numbness to occur, for the first time in 4 1/2 years.

Many clinical trials have apparently substantiated the efficacy of this supplement in glucose regulation; here is one from NIH:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

It is chemically similar to metformin and reportedly just as effective.

Jana, the B12 I found to be effective in reducing the sensorimotor polyneuropathy was methylcobalamin and not the OTC cyanocobalamin B12, which you may already know. My neuropathy is largely axonal, which may be different from yours.

If either of you decide to run a trial, please let me know how it goes.

—Bob

J_Eicher

Hi @DionneT

Thanks so much for your swift responses. Every bit of team effort is helpful. We have to be our own health advocates... If the medical professionals can't help us, we need to help ourselves (and each other).

Thanks for sharing that suggestion... Interestingly enough, I wanted to investigate potassium and sodium channel dysfunction in my early PN days, but found it near impossible to actually do any experiments or tests that could be helpful. I'm in South Africa, so we're also somewhat behind when it comes to medical science (at least compared to the first world). I've also been labelled a lunatic more times than I care to count - mainly because small fibre neuropathy is only diagnosable through skin punch biopsy, which isn't offered for SFN in this country. So apparently my symptoms are all just 'psychosomatic'. I've consulted with the 'top of the field' - i.e. academic neurologists and neuroscientists at an academic university hospital, and they were probably the most useless of them all.

Anyway, I had my genome sequenced through 23AndMe many years ago, and thankfully, my husband is a biochemist, so he often trawls my raw genome for mutations whenever we have ideas linked to genetics. We checked, and it seems I do have one heterozygous mutation in one of the genes implicated in hypokalemic periodic paralysis - but unfortunately, 23AndMe didn't sequence the two other ones. Pity. Also not sure if a hetero mutation is enough to go on... Where did you get your potassium meter?

When I did the OGTT, I specifically requested that my insulin be checked as well, but then found out afterwards that they'd only taken my fasting insulin reading, which was normal. I didn't have the motivation to redo the test, and it was all very expensive. Pretty upsetting. But as mentioned, my symptoms *improve* as soon as insulin kicks in - it's the rise in BG specifically the makes my nerves flare up.

In terms of triggers - it's generally always blood sugar and temperature change (cold/damp weather really sets it off). It's not only carbs - very large meals will also do it (again, it's all BG dependent). I generally have low BG. My fasting reading is typically between 3 and 3.8. If my BG rises beyond 4.5, the pain starts. It's lunacy really. I used to respond badly to alcohol, but interestingly enough, that's improved a lot in recent weeks. Alcohol is probably the only thing that provides 100% symptomatic relief for me (obviously only temporarily). I feel no tingling/burning after 1/2 glass of wine.

Can you identify any initial triggers like lifestyle changes that could be linked to the onset of your PN? Any concurrent health issues?

J_Eicher

Hi @ChetRoi

As I said to DionneT above, thank you for your swift responses. Every bit of team effort is helpful. We have to be our own health advocates... If the medical professionals can't help us, we need to help ourselves (and each other).

I've been taking 1000 IU sublingual methylcobalamin every day, so it's definitely the same form.

Very interesting regarding the Berberine! I actually immediately read up on it, and then visited my nearest health/wellness store, which thankfully had it in stock. Started taking it last night. I haven't noticed a major improvement in my postprandial symptoms yet, but then again, I've only taken it twice. Did your symptoms respond immediately, or did it need to build up in your system first? I'll keep your posted regarding my progress.

I saw elsewhere that your daughter suffers with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and has chronic pain. Have you looked into mast cell disorders / mastocytosis and concurrent issues like histamine intolerance and diamine oxidase insufficiency? Ehlers-Danlos often goes hand in hand with mast cell disorders, which can be managed quite well, once identified. This might also be worth looking into for yourself.

Other than that, have you had a stool analysis before, to check your gut microbiome for dysbiosis and pathogens? Dysbiosis and intestinal permeability can also lead to problems with glucose/lipid metabolism. As mentioned, I'm still quite committed to exploring this issue, and am in the process of organising my intestinal permeability and lipopolysaccharide toxaemia tests. I used to write that stuff off as quackery, to be honest; but the more I read about it, the more it seems to makes sense. I also suffered with the unholy trinity of asthma, eczema and psoriasis in my teens, so the 'leaky gut' theory may well be relevant.

I'll keep you posted. Please do tell me more about your experience with Berberine. :)