Karllucas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5am breakfast 2 x weetabix

12:30 1x bread cob with beef spread and 1 x packet of crisp

tested blood at 14:30 and had a reading of 21.6mmol

what could be causing it as I am trying so hard to keep them under control because my last hba1c had a big jump

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Weetabix is high carb, so is bread, so are crisps. Beef spread often has sugar or starch in it. If I ate all that my blood sugar would soar too.
If you want to get your blood sugar under control you need to consider cutting back on carbs and eating protein and fat instead.
I started by carb counting for every meal plus the drinks - testing before and 2 hrs after each meal showed that I could safely eat a max of 30g of carbs in a meal (including the carbs in my coffees) and overall I went down to 85g a day.
Others find they need to go lower than that - but only frequent testing can help determine how much.

Alternative for breakfast are bacon, eggs, mushrooms or a low carb cereal made from milled flaxseed/chia seeds/etc.
There are some low carb breads available, or you can make 90 second bread with ground almonds.

Gafspa

what could be causing it as I am trying so hard to keep them under control because my last hba1c had a big jump

I am able to eat weetabix but I couldn’t eat what you had for lunch, bread causes me to have massive spikes even if I give the correct insulin ratio. I avoid bread.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Karllucas

You profile says you are on tablets for diabetes.
What it their name, and what dose?
It will probably make a big difference to the way your body handles carbs, and the suggestions people will give.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

For me personally in that list bread and crisps send me high.. and with bread I stay high for a long time. And I doubt the spread is just beef probably lots of added stuff adding to the raise

It’s carbs that you need to look out for not just sugar.. a standard slice of bread will have about 18g of carbs and I think the average cob is larger.. 10g ish for the crisps..

Don’t see any mention of what you’ve had to drink… someone I knew was being very careful with food and was always high went through everything they had and found they were drinking ribena which was cram packed with sugar

Karllucas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome @Karllucas

You profile says you are on tablets for diabetes.
What it their name, and what dose?
It will probably make a big difference to the way your body handles carbs, and the suggestions people will give.

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Gliclazide 160mg twice a day

Karllucas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me personally in that list bread and crisps send me high.. and with bread I stay high for a long time. And I doubt the spread is just beef probably lots of added stuff adding to the raise

It’s carbs that you need to look out for not just sugar.. a standard slice of bread will have about 18g of carbs and I think the average cob is larger.. 10g ish for the crisps..

Don’t see any mention of what you’ve had to drink… someone I knew was being very careful with food and was always high went through everything they had and found they were drinking ribena which was cram packed with sugar

Only drink black coffee

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it's probably the carbs you're eating. What you've described would send my levels right up. Weetabix, bread, crisps...that's basically eating very little other than carbs - the beef paste might have carbs as well, they put carbs in everything. Not good at all for any T2. If you really need a bread substitute I found this source of low-carb bread - works for me.

https://seriouslylowcarb.com/

It tastes close enough to ordinary bread to pass. Expensive though. I'm not going to suggest substitutes for weetabix as that area is best avoided completely in my opinion - bacon and eggs instead? I used to be a huge crisp fan, particularly Tayto, but all that's had to go. Pork scratchings instead.

best of luck.