Type 2 unhealthy eating

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean if my sugar levels are controlled by medication....What risks are there? to eating sweet things
Just to chime in with the rest, there's a few issues. For one, diabetes T2 is usually a progressive condition unless you change your diet. Meaning it'll just keep getting worse, requiring more medication as you go. The last stop there, being insulin. On top of that there's side effects you may or may not experience. Glic could wring out your pancreas until it is exhausted and it fails. In which case, you'd end up on insulin. If that happens, of course.

The thing is... It's your choice. A friend of mine swears he cannot live without his bread, spuds and rice. I keep saying it's a matter of won't, but its semantics. I know he'll go down the same path as his mother eventually, (his blood sugars currently the high end of normal), whose T2 ended up making her heart rupture, after years of sitting in the couch eating, because she couldn't walk any more due to nerve damage. Just sat there, all day, in pain, eating her depression away. With high carb foods. If she'd known what the food was doing to her? I think she still would've eaten it. Diabetes was a reality she did not want to deal with, and so her world shrank to the corner of the couch, until it ended.

A lot of people here choose life, and quality of life, over carbs. Some manage perfectly fine with diet and meds combined. Others go the 100% medicated route. Some fall off the wagon and climb back on afterweeks, months or even years. No-one here can tell you what to do, just what we've seen and experienced ourselves. You have to figure out what works best for you. And that's between you and your meter.

Good luck!
Jo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@steveo.101 - The harsh reality is diabetes is a very personal thing. Some people get lucky and can eat as they wish, with no ill-effect, but in my almost 7 years here they are in the minority. More often that not, those who seem to have got lucky, find after a while their body can't cope so well any more and things change again.

Nobody can tell you what to do or make you eat anything you don't want to, or not eat anything you choose to select. Much depends on how much risk you will accept, or how happy you would be to live with the consequences, were you one of those less lucky ones.

I can't give you any sort of percentage chance of x, y or z happen, but I would urge you to choose a healthier lifestyle.

It's entirely your call.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was in hospital a couple of years ago for an op not diabetes related but every patient on the ward was diabetic one of the guys I used to talk with a lot pretty much had the same attitude and ate just about every thing on the menu relying on medications to control things I preferred the low carb option all I will say is I left with all my fingers and toes he did not.

M

Member496333

Hyperglycemia is only the most visible symptom of metabolic collapse. Hyperinsulinemia and metabolic syndrome are what really torpedo human health. If you're taking insulin or oral hypoglycaemics then blood glucose is a very poor predictor of outcomes and may in fact make things worse at the etiological level. In fact people with drug-controlled glucose still lose eyes, limbs, and their life.

As already suggested, read The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung.

Then watch this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-zealand-documentary.160198/

Then decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveo.101

So your glicazide is artificially lowering your glucose.
If you take Gliclazide it makes the pancreas produce more insulin, this can worsen insulin resistance. So, you can eat whatever you want, but there is a price to pay for eating pastries, cakes and junk, high carb foods like potatoes, rice and wheat based products.

Over time, eating these will eventually make your BG levels go up, so you'll need more meds and insulin resistance will continue to worsen... hence complications, heart disease, liver disease, sepsis infections, poor healing ability and loss of sight all become very real possibilities.

It's up to you what you do.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I modified my diet slightly and simply stopped eating food that was full of sugary and starchy carbohydrates. This hasn't prevented me eating what I consider to be "nice food" though. I initially resented giving up a few things I'd previously enjoyed eating but I value my eyes, hands and feet far more than a bit of "tasty nosh"... and I can now manage my T2 without the need for any diabetic medication.