Unhelpful apps

SarahVasey

Hi I've recently had a high diabetic review and been placed on glimepiride, I was already dieting and cutting out alot of sugar and carbs. My nurse suggested I look into the Carbs and Cals app, I did this paid for the premium and started tracking my goals...this is where I had an issue, after I put all my details in i.e hight, weight, my goal (weight loss), it gave me their recommend targets which to my surprise they was higher than the recommended cals and carbs for an average person. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows the recommend amounts. I've another app (nutracheck) I've used for a long time which can be adjusted to my personal needs. Can anyone help PLEASE.
Screenshot_20240206_093240_com.chello.carbsandcals.jpg

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I'me a bit confused as to where it say 325 carbs , which to be honest is a lot of carbs , and then it says 50 % from carbs , what ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardPTS

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I agree that the App isn't helpful. Although both App and the book are both recommended over on the Diabetes.org.uk site. Historically they have pushed a 'normal carbs' approach, though that is much less these days due to some from here posting about our remission over there.

Personally, I take the approach that my best dietary advisor for carbs is my BG meter.
Basically, I eat lots of protein, (meat, fish, eggs, cheese) and the fat that goes with them, eat only as many carbs as my meter suggests (based on a reading of less than a 2 mmol rise at 2hrs after first bite) and fill up with very low carb veg.

Here's a link to the blog post which got me started on my path to T2D remission (been in remission nearly 4yrs now):

There are 2 meters which are often mentioned for being decent quality and cheap test strips (the main expense):
Gluco Navii
Tee2+
Both are available online, I have no connection to either company except as a customer (for the Tee2+ - my first meter which I still use).

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

sgm14

I must admit I don't really understand what the relevance of current weight is when giving recommended calorie intake, but it is probably the significant factor. If you try https://www.calculator.net/carbohydrate-calculator.html you can more easily try various settings to see how they effect the recommendations.

I have that app and don't use that feature, but I just checked it and, as a 60 year old male with BMI of 19 , it recommends 2127 cals per day and 50% of that to come from 266g carbs. I don't know what my calorie intake is, but 266g carbs is well over twice my average carb intake.

Reactions: ianf0ster

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
both App and the book are both recommended over on the Diabetes.org.uk site. Historically they have pushed a 'normal carbs' approach, though that is much less these days due to some from here posting about our remission over there.
The book and app are recommended as a way to count carbs. I have been a member of Diabetes UK since diagnosis and never seen mention of the app to calculate how many carbs to eat. It is only recommended as a “simple” way to estimate number of carbs in food by sight rather than relying on scales.
As for the “normal carbs” approach, this is still the case for those of us with Type 1 and I saw threads from non-diabetes.co.uk members before they joined aboit a low carb diet to manage type 2.